Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Far Side piano humor

Says Will:  "The sales guy said a synth-action board with 61 keys would travel better, but no -- I had to have 88 weighted ones..."

Yamaha MODX6 * Hammond SK Pro 73 * Roland Fantom-08 * Crumar Mojo Pedals * Mackie Thump 12As * Tascam DP-24SD * JBL 305 MkIIs

I can't locate the piece in question for posting, but arguably the best one-panel cartoon on Earth is from The Far Side. One of Larson's frumpy women is on the phone and there's a big EYE in the window behind her. She's saying "Helen? Its Marge. I hate to bother you, but could you tell me what's in my front yard?" WE can only guess, but Helen knows. 🤣 :w00t:

"We're the crash test dummies of the digital age."
            ~ Kara Swisher, "Burn Book"

If you have not seen it Gary Larson was on 60 Minutes (IIRC) many years ago. At the beginning they gave him some random details to work with and by the end of the interview he created a cartoon on par with his oeuvre.

The Louie Louie is my favorite. I also feel the first one is perfect the way it is. It is Larson's humor not a KC meme. 

Ah man, love Far Side.   It's somewhat of a tie between that and Calvin and Hobbes for me, totally different types of strips but both genius.

The Midvale School for the Gifted one where the kid is trying to push the door that says "pull" just kills me.   

The most ironic one features proud parents of a nintendo-playing kid looking through the want ads (remember those) where everyone is looking to pay top dollar for a nintendo player.  Well, a friend of mine's son became a top Minecraft youtuber and can now retire as a multi-millionaire at the ripe old age of 22 if he wants to.  My friend quit his day job and started a merchandising company to handle the merch for him and other influencers, so double-cash in.  What a world.

• Love 1

Gary Larson's music jokes are on point, partly because he is a musician himself.

According to this article, Larson intentionally quoted an outrageous price to Jim Hall's agent, when contacted about illustrating Jim Hall's album cover... in order to parlay a free lesson with that jazz guitar legend

Gary-Larson-cover-for-Jim-Hall-album.jpg

Larson also ended up doing the cover for Hall's book

cover-large_file.png

• Like 1
  • Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

For the longest time, people on this forum have been avoiding talking about the elephant in the room, but now the floodgates have opened.

• Haha 1

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

2081e51a64f4230ce747a783c7e5576f.jpg

There is now an official Far Side web site at https://www.thefarside.com and some explanations of why and what he's been up to.

• Like 5
  • Haha 3

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Somehow The Far Side cartoons were not prevalent on the internet. I searched and didn't find much. I suppose they were pretty aggressive at keeping things that way. Larson came out of retirement and has had new material posted on his website for several years now but not prolific amounts. I have loosely observed that new material is only up for a limited time then replaced. 

20 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

2081e51a64f4230ce747a783c7e5576f.jpg

There is now an official Far Side web site at https://www.thefarside.com and some explanations of why and what he's been up to.

Obviously, the Beat 'Ain't Large' in Hell! No sir! .... 

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

A favorite. Not keyboard-related, but could easily apply to music history classes. 

Resize--far-side-cartoons-the-far-side-1.jpg

• Like 1

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 2 weeks later...