Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Solid State Logic SSL 2 audio USB interface - anybody use one?

For a portable studio rig this looks good. The descriptions I've read of the Legacy 4k feature makes me want to hear it. 

A bit of harmonic distortion and high frequency boost could come in handy often. 

If anybody has experience with this I'd love to hear about it! I'll poke around too and post links. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have one of each of the two models - 2 and 2+.  I'm really happy with them - probably somewhat obvious by the fact that I have two.  Yes, the Legacy 4k feature is a fun thing to have.

What do you wanna know?

dB

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, David Bryce said:

I have one of each of the two models - 2 and 2+.  I'm really happy with them - probably somewhat obvious by the fact that I have two.  Yes, the Legacy 4k feature is a fun thing to have.

What do you wanna know?

dB

Thanks Sir Dave, much appreciated. If you like them enough to have 2 of them, that's a great recommendation. 

I can suss out all the hardware details, they look straightforward to me. The dial for mixing input with playback is a great feature, lots of interfaces have it. I like the Stereo/Mono switch too. 

I have a decent 5 channel headphone amp that is small so one headphone out is enough at this point. 

I've been taking a look at small audio interfaces and there's quite a range of differences. I know SSL is going to have quality preamps and the Legacy 4k looks like it could serve the purpose of a "character" mic pre while remaining small and easily moved. The SSL is also fully Apple Silicon ready, that and mic pres are my primary targets. Looks like a winner to me. 

Since I recently acquired a pair of Yamaha MSP5 monitors, the idea of small, mobile studio rig for collaborating has become feasible.

I have a Steinberg UR22 Mk II that I like pretty well but sometimes I want a little more "excitement" going in and I'm not certain at this point if Steinberg is going to update the firmware for full Apple Silicon. Presonus has full Apple Silcon support (not just Rosetta 2) for my Quantum TB 2 interface but that's mounted in an 8 space rack that weighs too much to be fun to move. 

So, larger and heavier studio at home, little studio I can move easily if I want to do so. I enjoy collaborating, online is cool but face to face is another sort of creativity. 

I'm not in a hurry but I'll probably pick up one of the SSL units in the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got an offer from an Ebay seller for an open box SSL 2+ from a seller with 100% positive feedback. 

Total was around $230 delivered. 2 headphone outs is probably all 2 people would need, since this is a 2 channel interface that covers both of those bases and I shouldn't need to bring my headphone amp. Smaller, lighter and fewer cables on the move. 

I have an Akai MPK 25 keyboard that uses 5 pin DIN for MIDI as well as USB, I can hook that up and leave it. I might even run the RCA outs to my home stereo with reference speakers.

Once I've sussed it out, the Steinberg can go to a happy Windows user, it's still current for Windows 11, just not Apple Silicon. It's been a good box, somebody will love it. 

Edited to add - on checking yesterday eveniing, very little of the included software is Native Apple Silicon ready, none of the ProTools or AAX plugins are. None of the SSL plugins are either, all Rosetta 2. The interface itself is class compliant and ought to run beauty on my Mac Mini. I don't really care about software so much. 

• Like 1