Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to find songs (audio) online you want to learn

If I don't have a CD with a song on it and I want to learn a song, I could buy the song online somewhere. Heck, if I could just HEAR the darn thing, I could get the melody down. Songs I haven't heard in a long time and I get the lyric but stumble at a certain verse. Like, how EXACTLY does that melody go?

This happens quite often. It could add up, a dollar a pop, especially when you're tight one money like me. Occasionally, I can find a clip online in a search but it's usually 30 seconds only.

Is there any music service that allows unlimited downloads for $20 a month or whatever? Or are they all about a buck a piece. Any you recommend? Or any other ideas?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by LiveMusic:

If I don't have a CD with a song on it and I want to learn a song, I could buy the song online somewhere. Heck, if I could just HEAR the darn thing, I could get the melody down. Songs I haven't heard in a long time and I get the lyric but stumble at a certain verse. Like, how EXACTLY does that melody go?

This happens quite often. It could add up, a dollar a pop, especially when you're tight one money like me. Occasionally, I can find a clip online in a search but it's usually 30 seconds only.

Is there any music service that allows unlimited downloads for $20 a month or whatever? Or are they all about a buck a piece. Or any other ideas?

I use iTunes and BuyMusic.com. I pay about .99 per song and I think that's fair. The only thing is that the downloads are encoded. They do that to prevent too many copies from being made, which I'm fine with, but I find that the Amazing Slow Downer software that I use cannot play iTune encodes. I have to burn to a CD and then I can use ASD with the song. That means I have to wait until I have enough music to burn a CD with. One other problem is that the different formats cannot be read by the different software. For example, iTunes music cannot be read by windows media player. That makes it tough to burn a cd using songs from each system. iTunes will burn your cd and then close it out and you cannot add more music to it. Same with wmp when burning music from BuyMusic.com. You have to use their software to burn the cd's because of the encoding. If anyone knows a way around this, please share.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I use Rhapsody from Listen.com. It's like $9.95 a month for unlimited listening and most tracks are burnable for $.79 a pop or so. It's a great service.

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

Originally posted by cwfno:

... I have to burn to a CD and then I can use ASD with the song. That means I have to wait until I have enough music to burn a CD with.... If anyone knows a way around this, please share.

Actually, I treat CDR's as disposable. I buy them in bulk, and they end up being about a nickel a piece. This way, I just burn as I go.

If you use multiple services, you should probably convert all of them to CD and then back to the format of your choice anyway just for consistency. But it's definitely a pain.

"For instance" is not proof.

Archived