Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

14.1” iPad Pro slated for 2023

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

https://apple.news/A9MAwuNgVQgKaxGmU0VsSIA

14.1-inch iPad Pro is currently in development and could be launched in early 2023 with ProMotion and mini-LED display technology in tow.

Maybe 12” screens can then trickle down to non “Pro” iPads.  

Not sure if a 14" is just a bit too big tbh....probs suit the graphic arts crowd though I guess.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I think Apples touch screen strategy is becoming more apparent with iOS 16’s windowed apps, multitasking, the sharing of Apple silicon across all their devices, increased RAM, storage and screen size on iPad.   

Apple isn’t changing macOS to be touchscreen friendly or putting touchscreens on Mac laptops.   They are building up iOS and i devices to be the professional solution for creatives that want/need touch.  

Once you have Pro Apps, XCode and Terminal on iOS the difference between macOS and iOS is pretty much non existent.  They just need to offer it in 27+ inch screen sizes spec’d for the pro apps.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have the 2021 12 inch iPad pro.  I think this is a great size for live performance as I can easily see my charts on Korg Module.  But if I only used it at home, then I would have gone smaller due to the extra weight and awkward maneuverability of the large screen. I think that 14” would be too big to perform with. 

F05AAE7A-45CB-4C70-B67D-9983DE9F0438.jpeg

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Personally for live music use that it getting into the "where do I put it" category, joining laptops.  My older 9" ipad fits nicely on my MODX.  I guess as long as they have minis or regular ipads that are under 11" that would be ok.

One annoyance of being a keys player on smaller stages:  no mic stand I can use to hold stuff, like an ipad or a beer :)   I have a mic boom that goes on either of my two keyboard stands I use.  

I'm still waiting for a two-tablet, book-like solution for having 2 full-size pages (or close to it) up at the same time that is affordable and reliable.  For 1 page, I'm pretty happy with the size of my current iPad Pro.

Anything larger than the 12.9" strikes me as more suited to visual arts, like a photography or video studio.

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

15 hours ago, RABid said:

I will be more interested in the new 15" MacBook Air. The older I get, the bigger the screen needs to be. I've been using a 13" M1 Air and it is way too small for my eyes.

This is why at home I just leave my MBP closed and look at my 32" monitor :)   I think back to old days at work when we were trying to convince management to give us 17" CRT monitors instead of 15"...19s were too freaking deep to fit on our desks!

My sweet spot is currently around 32" with 2k resolution.  2k is absurdly cheap and looks great to me.   I don't like multiple monitors.   I have the thing on a relatively cheap arm so I can swing it around, back and forth like I'm in minority report (well, sorta.)    If I went to 4k I'd want to get a bigger monitor.  Or *gasp* actually wear my glasses more.

I’m curious to see the specs on a 14” iPad Pro - which processor, how much RAM and storage.  If it for example it had an M2, 512gb and 8-16gb of RAM.  

As Apple  builds up iOS to be as robust as macOS the lines might blur between a MacBook Air and an iPad Pro - in particular when/if they bring Logic/MainStage and Final Cut over to iOS.  For virtual instrument and FX plug-in  developers AU3 already makes it easy to develop and maintain their work on iOS and macOS.  If an iPad Pro could run full versions of all our macOS music apps and plugins - I’d choose it over a Mac laptop.   

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

29 minutes ago, Stokely said:

I think back to old days at work when we were trying to convince management to give us 17" CRT monitors instead of 15"...19s were too freaking deep to fit on our desks!

As the person who made those decisions at work I had a system. If you wore glasses, was over 50, or spent all day looking at the computer screen you got a bigger monitor. If you were all three you got a 32".

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

3 hours ago, Stokely said:

My sweet spot is currently around 32" with 2k resolution.  2k is absurdly cheap and looks great to me.   I don't like multiple monitors.   I have the thing on a relatively cheap arm so I can swing it around, back and forth like I'm in minority report (well, sorta.)   

Me again - agreeing again. I have a 4k 32in, running at 150% magnification (so the equivalent of 1440p real estate). Text looks a little smoother, but I don't think I'm really benefiting from 4k. Also on an arm to free up desk real estate. 

Cheers, Mike.