Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to use an intervalometer for night photography

An interesting and well written article. I'm already thinking of ways I might use an intervalometer since while I am neither a night or landscape photographer, an intervalometer could be an interesting tool for other forms of art photography. You've explained how to use one and take care of it in clear, concise terms, well done!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:47 AM, KuruPrionz said:

An interesting and well written article. I'm already thinking of ways I might use an intervalometer since while I am neither a night or landscape photographer, an intervalometer could be an interesting tool for other forms of art photography. You've explained how to use one and take care of it in clear, concise terms, well done!!!!

Thanks! I'm so glad that it is helpful. And what is also helpful is that most external intervalometers are configured almost identically. 

I may be reviewing the rather expensive Phottix Aion intervalometer for an upcoming Photofocus article. However, I don't get to keep it, unfortunately!!

An intervalometer might be good for other things such as time-lapse, which can obviously be done day or night.

I have a time-lapse at about  0:56, 2:00, and and 2:14 mark in this video/slide show/time-lapse thingy.  These are all done at night, but they could just as easily have been done during the day.

This was done in an iPhone, but you could do a high-quality one with a good camera and an intervalometer. Just have it take photos intermittently and then throw them together in GlueMotion or some other app that does these sorts of things and you're done.

• Like 1

Another one with an iPhone, but again, you could do a really high quality one and have considerably more control if you use a decent camera and an intervalometer. And it would be super easy to set up. Then throw all the photos in GlueMotion or something similar and it automatically outputs a video, allowing you to adjust the various parameters to your liking. Here, I had no ability to adjust. The iPhone automatically does everything for you.

Here's more information about GlueMotion Time-Lapse App

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Nice! Those 2 videos with human activity is more or less what I'm thinking of, the variations are of course endless. 

Yeah. I mean, you can time-lapse almost anything and it's interesting. Do it well and it's riveting.

3 minutes ago, KenElevenShadows said:

Yeah. I mean, you can time-lapse almost anything and it's interesting. Do it well and it's riveting.

I can see that. 

The options are essentially infinite! 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.