Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

new Kurzweil SP7

Interesting stuff in that video,  though... like supposedly they intend to bring VA and FM synthesis to it.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

Interesting stuff in that video,  though... like supposedly they intend to bring VA and FM synthesis to it.

Chris has been around Kurzweil a very long time, you can bet it is not speculation on his part

:nopity:

7 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Chris has been around Kurzweil a very long time, you can bet it is not speculation on his part

Right, I'm sure the info is well-sourced, but that doesn't guarantee it will happen...  you never know until it happens, or at least is more "officially" announced. There was a video where he said you'd be able to load a gigabyte of your own samples into the Numa Compact 2X. Maybe Numa couldn't get it to work well and abandoned it, or maybe it was never intended and something got lost in translation at some point, who knows, but it didn't happen.

Meanwhile, here are some more sound samples...

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Spec page has been updated... instead of the mysterious TP/100LRG, it now says TP/110.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It looks like this model needs to be called by its full name, "SP7 Grand" because now there is an additional, scaled-down model, called simply "SP7," which  supports 8 zones rather than 16, has 500 mb of factory sample data instead of 2GB, smaller screen (4.3" 480 x 282 pixel, instead of 7" 1024 x 600 pixel) and almost 10 lbs lighter (27.6 lbs instead of 36), and possibly a different action for that weight difference. https://kurzweil.com/sp7/

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

It looks like this model needs to be called by its full name, "SP7 Grand" because now there is an additional, scaled-down model, called simply "SP7," which  supports 8 zones rather than 16, has 500 mb of factory sample data instead of 2GB, and almost 10 lbs lighter (27.6 lbs instead of 36), presumably with a different action for that weight difference. https://kurzweil.com/sp7/

"...features our German “D” 9 ft. Concert Grand derived from the PC4." Not sure I'd want to go lower than the PC4's German Grand sampleset (presuming that the SP7 is "derived" in the same way that the PC4's samples are "derived" from the Forte).

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Interesting that they release a “watered” down version at the same time as the bigger version…..even though I’ve not seen either available for sale anywhere? Anyone seen a pdf with the patch listing of either model? I’ve seen a few videos on YouTube that play through the pianos but nothing more. Am curious to hear what other sounds are available apart from piano. 

If the SP7 grand has the TP110 I’d imagine the newer version has a compromised keybed to save the 2/3 kilos?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

For those interested, Kurzweil posted the manuals for the SP7 Grand.  I have not reviewed in complete detail, but an interesting feature appears to be that you can run sounds from an external keyboard and/or a computer into the SP7 Grand and apply the SP7 Grand effects to those signals.  I know I the Yamaha YC series you can't do this... the signals are throughout to the YC output as they enter it.  If Kurzweil released a 73/76 version of the SP7 Grand with the TP110 under 30 pounds I would grab it fast to replace the PX5S I currently pair with my YC 61...but I expect they will release a semi-weighted version of this or the regular SP7 at some point as they've done with the SP and PC series. 

https://kurzweil.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/SP7-Grand-Getting-Started-Guide-English-221007.pdf

https://kurzweil.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/SP7-Grand-Users-Manual-English-221007.pdf

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, counterpoint said:

an interesting feature appears to be that you can run sounds from an external keyboard and/or a computer into the SP7 Grand and apply the SP7 Grand effects to those signals.  I know I the Yamaha YC series you can't do this... the signals are throughout to the YC output as they enter it. 

true that the YC can't do this trick... but the MODX can.

• 1 month later...

I just received an SP7 Grand today.  Will post much more soon.  It arrived missing two knobs, which is really odd.  They were not rattling around in the box.  Simply missing!  Unsure if I will try to get a replacement board from Guitar Center or just get Kurzweil to send me the knobs.  The sounds, so far seem great.  Keyboard feels good, but it doesn't seem graded.  I've been pretty much a Yamaha guy for a while, with boards that are graded, and the upper keys on the SP7 Grand seem heavy, but not at all a deal breaker for me.  Again, I only received it today (was working form home) and have only a few minutes of playing on it.  Will have a much better report soon, if anyone is interested.  Incidentally, I also have a Numa X Piano GT on order am awaiting that board.  I will only keep one.

Not an extensive review here.  But first impressions, after a long, highly anticipated wait: I am underwhelmed.  I have a PC2r, with orchestral expansion, that's 20 years old and sounds almost as good.  The PC2r might even have better EPs and organs.  I used to play that through my old Yamaha S90, which I loved, and now am wishing I didn't sell years ago.  I still need to play the SP7 more to have fully formulated opinion, but I was expecting to be blown away, and am not...yet.

I guess things haven't changed that much since my playing tapered off when my wife and I first had kids in 2008.  I thought 10-15 years of tech improvements would have made more of a difference in the gear.  Will read the manual, really dig in and see if my opinion changes.  I'm basically a piano player/singer/songwriter.  75% of my playing is going to be one or two piano sounds.  But I do love fooling around with all the rest.  I wonder if I should be looking at another keyboard.  I would be willing to spend more, but probably not Nord more.  Maybe I should rethink that?  The Nord Piano 5 did sound awesome in the store.  I tried the RD-2000 and didn't like the piano sound, which has me thinking I won't like the Numa X Piano GT I have on order as it too is primarily a modeled sound.

Anyone have any advice?

• Like 1

if you were not blown away from the first time, i believe that you will never be...and i am a long time Kurzweil user.

Give it some time, play and explore it a little more and if you do not like replace it.

And if you like, check Mastering Vast, maybe you will find more information about your new keyboard.

https://forums.godlike.com.au/index.php?board=36.0

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

I'll be returning the SP7.  I've been comparing sounds from my PC2R (circa 2002) and with the exception of the piano sound, the PC2R sounds just as good.  Organs via the KB3 are better on the PC2R.  The piano is better on the SP7, but by no means insanely better.  I like my Yamaha P121 piano sound better than both.  That's a personal/subjective thing, of course.  But the real deal breaker is that after consulting with Kurzweil, there is no way to stop transmitting MIDI program change data from the SP7, so I can't set a sound on the PC2R and then change sounds on the SP7 without sending the PC2R into some random patch.  Unreal to me that this can not be prevented.  (The tech said he also consulted others on the PC2R, and that has no setting to ignore patch changes.)

I guess my expectations were too high on the SP7.  I have the Numa X Piano GT on order.  But I'm worried I will not like that modeled piano sound. Now also considering the MP7SE.  This purchase is turning out to be MUCH more difficult than I anticipated!  It doesn't help that I can't find any of the boards on display anywhere.  I'd like to try the CP88, and others.  But none are in stock and playable anywhere!  Argh.

Yeah, it sounds like you'd want something with external MIDI zoning, which the Kawai and Numa have. If you're up for trying another Kurzweil, the PC4, PC4SE, and SP6 should all handle this just fine... though they would also likely have the equivalent of all the PC2R sounds you're looking for, so then the MIDI zoning might not even matter!

2 hours ago, danskeys said:

I'll be returning the SP7.  I've been comparing sounds from my PC2R (circa 2002) and with the exception of the piano sound, the PC2R sounds just as good.  Organs via the KB3 are better on the PC2R.  The piano is better on the SP7, but by no means insanely better.  I like my Yamaha P121 piano sound better than both.  That's a personal/subjective thing, of course.  But the real deal breaker is that after consulting with Kurzweil, there is no way to stop transmitting MIDI program change data from the SP7, so I can't set a sound on the PC2R and then change sounds on the SP7 without sending the PC2R into some random patch.  Unreal to me that this can not be prevented.  (The tech said he also consulted others on the PC2R, and that has no setting to ignore patch changes.)

I guess my expectations were too high on the SP7.  I have the Numa X Piano GT on order.  But I'm worried I will not like that modeled piano sound. Now also considering the MP7SE.  This purchase is turning out to be MUCH more difficult than I anticipated!  It doesn't help that I can't find any of the boards on display anywhere.  I'd like to try the CP88, and others.  But none are in stock and playable anywhere!  Argh.

The Numa X APs are not modeled - they are sampled. However, modeling is used for attributes such as string resonance, etc. The EPs, however, are modeled.  They greatly improved the pianos in the first firmware upgrade (2.0).  And they were good even before that. I think that you will see further updates in the not too far future. I would be interested in your impressions of the keybed. I have both the Numa X 88 and the GT and although I like both, the keybed on the GT is great! Love the escapement.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

I´ve read twice it´s TP100LRG ...

I think I mentioned earlier in the thread, it originally said TP100LRG, but the specs were later changed to TP-110

https://kurzweil.com/sp7-grand/#specs

Quoting Kurz's spec page on the SP7, "88-note, fully-weighted hammer-action with velocities sensitive keys"

So what did they stick in the non-grand version?  The Medeli from the SP6?  27.6lbs.  Price is $1499.00. 

On the SP7 Grand they say, "88-note, fully-weighted hammer-action (Fatar TP/110)" $1999.00 is advertised price at the usual online dealers. 

The features and pricing are very aggressive. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

B.t.w.,- the so called "new sound engine" ...

What´s the difference to the K2700 ?

Is the K2700 already outdated and might there be a new flagship or upgraded K-model in the pipeline ?

The price difference between SP-7 Grand and K2700 is not that big @Thomann,- just about 500 bucks and they are both listed under "workstations".

:)

A.C.

1 hour ago, Al Coda said:

Is the K2700 already outdated and might there be a new flagship or upgraded K-model in the pipeline ?

The price difference between SP-7 Grand and K2700 is not that big @Thomann,- just about 500 bucks and they are both listed under "workstations".

:)

A.C.

😉 the sound engine is market speak for we built this one from scratch to make the price point even if it has to be less “vast”.  Gain vs. loss- it may possibly do acoustic pianos better.  Your ears be the judge. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

4 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Is the K2700 already outdated

As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't appear to actually be a fully "new" sound engine, though it's new to the stage piano line.

Also check these posts from Dave Weiser for some additional perspective...  

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/168546-kurzweil-sp1/page/2/#comment-2903873

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/183760-keyboard-is-starting-to-fail-need-a-new-one-advice-please/?do=findComment&comment=2921157

Who knows what they may or may not do with it in the future, but as of now, there's no indication of this sound engine being used for the higher functionality boards. 

4 hours ago, Al Coda said:

At least on the version of the site that displays in the U.S., Thomann lists them as "synthesizers," not "workstations." Regardless, SP7 Grand is not a workstation, and "synthesizer" can encompass a wide range of different kinds of boards. I'd say the best indication of product category as designed/intended would be Kurzweil's site... where the SP7s are under Stage Pianos and the K2700 is under Workstations/Synthesizers.