Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Dave Smith

Canoehead

I wasn't aware of that book, it sounds really interesting. I went and ordered it on Amazon and it should get here today.  If you buy it, make sure you buy the printed version. I read reviews that state the Kindle has no pictures. Absolutely useless!

I wrote the following for the Remembering Dave Smith request that went out on Sequential's site:

"I was fortunate enough to meet Dave Smith and will always treasure the memory of our conversation. I had purchased one of his newer creations, the Sequential Prophet X, and was in the process of writing some software to help unlock its potential. While I was in San Francisco for work, I arranged to stop by with a prototype to show him what I had in mind and request some technical documentation to ensure a good experience for other owners of his synth.

I was expecting a quick, focused conversation with a living legend, and instead I got an hour of his time. He was bright, engaging, and curious, with an engineer's mindset and a very open style. He told me about his prior forays into software, subjected to the changeable whims of Microsoft and Apple and customers with a wide range of configurations, and how that led him to focus on embedded firmware that he could control from start to finish. Where I was expecting formality regarding the use of his trademarks in promoting my software he was instead very casual, graciously giving broad permission relying on my judgement for their respectful use. It's obvious that the people he hired and worked closely with took after this same philosophy, as on a separate visit I came by their office when Dave wasn't in and was walked over to an instrument that hadn't even been announced in his office. I was encouraged to play and provide feedback. No NDAs were signed and no stern warnings were given, just an atmosphere of trust and respect.

It was obvious from the start that he was very much a creative spirit at heart, and laughed good-naturedly when I talked about being a frustrated musician with more of a gift for technology than song. I left thinking of him as a kindred spirit, and felt the way so many others have written about looking forward to their next meeting. While we spoke on the phone since then, I am saddened beyond words that we'll never have that opportunity to meet again.

My deepest condolences to those who knew him so much better than I did. You've lost someone incredibly special and I can only imagine your grief."

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Acoustic: Shigeru Kawai SK-7 ~ Breedlove C2/R

MIDI: Kurzweil Forte ~ Sequential Prophet X ~ Yamaha CP88 ~ Expressive E Osmose

Electric: Schecter Solo Custom Exotic ~ Chapman MLB1 Signature Bass

I met Dave Smith at NAMM in 2012. I thanked him for his contributions to music and he graciously said thank you and asked about me and my relationship with Hammond (after looking at my badge). Later in the week I stopped by the booth and met Andrew McGowan and his wife Joanne. Beautiful people. Due to some demos of the Mopho Keys I made, they offered me an artist endorsement deal, something I’m extremely proud of. 

I met Dave again at NAMM in 2020, right before the pandemic, and we had a wonderful conversation about the Prophet X. I got the feeling in talking to him about it that it represented the culmination of his goals with synthesis. It’s still on my short list of purchases. 

I was shocked by his sudden death. He had so much more to contribute.

• Like 5