Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Spring NAMM 2022 Reports

Due to the pandemic, this year's "Winter" NAMM Show was postponed until the late spring. It will begin this Friday, June 3, at the Anaheim Convention Center and end on Sunday, June 5. Attendance by keyboard manufacturers is expected to be smaller than that of a normal Winter NAMM, but larger than during a typical Summer NAMM. As a result, there should be some news worth sharing. So here we go...

Please post your Spring NAMM 2022 reports here, for forum members who are not fortunate enough to go to the show.

Feel free to discuss NAMM announced gear, events, and performances in this thread.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The show doors have opened, and reports are starting to trickle in.

Melbourne Instruments are showing NINA Motorized Polysynth, a 12 voice polyphonic synthesiser with motorized knobs that move when changing patches:

More at: https://www.melbourneinstruments.com/

Best,

Geoff

• Like 3

Plugin Alliance has announced a MEGA Sampler to be released on June 15. It will include over 8,000 loops, including Native Instruments sound selections, Sample may be processed through modeled filters like the Knifonium, PPG, and new FX pedals from partner brands Black Box Analog Design, AMEK, PPG, SPL, Maag, elysia, and more.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

Valhalla DSP has updated their free Super Massive reverb with two new modes, Aquarius and Pisces, which are both modified feedback delay networks in a topology they're calling “EchoVerb.”

More here:

Two New Supermassive Reverb Modes For 2022

Best,

Geoff

• Like 2

Groove Synthesis is showing 3rd Wave, an instrument inspired by the PPG Wave. It contains the original Wavetables, other high resolution tables, VA waves, and the ability to make your own. It has 24 voices, a Dave Rossum designed filter, and an additional SEM filter. Expected in August, the price is slated to be around $3795.

Best,

Geoff

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jazz1642606857 said:

New: Kawai ES120 digital piano: 27 pounds, louder speakers, added SX-EX piano samples (more detailed than EX and better legato), improved vintage Rhodes, RHC action

Rhodes is a weakness of the ES110 - interesting to hear the update.

Cheers, Mike.

Zynaptic Triumph audio editing software getting an update along with the rest of their macOS bundle for Apple Silicon.  

I had Triumph from the previous developer.  It was a very good macOS audio editor.  

• Like 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Reduced NAMM is kind of sad, but I love the reduced traffic. Friday was noticeably different, but Saturday it picked up a lot.

Big finds for me:

-the iPhone notation app MusicSketch. Handy solution for notation on a small display, but I don't like that after the first three songs you need to subscribe, I think he said $1.99 p/m. And it's iOS15 only.

-the Wee Stand, a super-compact, easy to fold/unfold music stand. When the lady demonstrated it, I felt like applauding. Only downside is a fairly large footprint when unfolded and hefty price ($125).

I finally got a chance to try out the NumaPiano and new Kurzweils, I was pleasantly surprised by the SP-7, and I thought the NumaPiano was good, too.

Rhodes was cool, but it didn't blow my mind. It has been a few years since I tried out the Vintage Vibe stuff at NAMM, but I remember connecting with it more.

I really wanted to get my hands on the new Oberheim and Nonlinear Labs C15, but didn't get a chance.

• Like 4

Woah! Eventide's Misha is bound to cause controversy once it's introduced later this year. In this demo, Steve De Furia creates a decent fake of a jazz solo while hitting random keys—thanks to Misha, and other technologies. 

Some may view it as the best thing since sliced bread, while others could think of it as another nail in the coffin of live musicianship. Have a look for yourself:

Best,

Geoff

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoff Grace said:

Fluid Chords uses MPE to bend from one chord into another:

FWIW Fluid Chords won the MIDI Innovations Award for 2022. Quite a feat, considering a) the competition (there was some amazing stuff), and b) they won last year for Fluid Pitch. 

• Like 1