Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Nice Hammond Sighting -- Attended Joss Stone Live @ The Ryman Theater in Nashville this week

Can I start this post out by saying just how much I love Joss Stone?

I was in Nashville for a conference this week out by Opryland.  As much as the love the honky tonks and dive bars on Lower Broadway (great bar bands playing in every door and rooftop), I was most stoked to catch Joss Stone at the Ryman Auditorium while I was in town.

The venue itself is a work of art and I had never seen it before.  It was built in 1892 originally as a church and was the home of the Grand Ole Opry stage for decades until they built the current dedicated theater in Opryland.   But the history of who has played that stage is pretty incredible going to back to silent movie stars like Charlie Chaplin, to Elvis and Dolly Parton to everything else in between.  Very cool room and acoustics.

The last I had really followed Joss Stone she was living in Greenwich Village several years ago and was still sitting in at some of the blues clubs around there (people I know who play around there would see her out and about and sitting in with other people all the time).   She said she moved to Nashville recently and is now living a pretty normal life in a semi rural suburb about 17 miles out of Nashville and now she's a mom of a baby, pregnant again at her show, and home with kids when not touring.

I was able to catch the show with a new band of session guys from Nashville but everything sounded really great as expected in that room.  I think the theater seats about 2,000 or so people and it was only half full on a Tuesday night for a filming and livestreaming.

I haven't seen a lot of Hammond organs on stages as much over these years, but the B3 player was really good and had a Nord Stage 3 on top to do the piano duties.  He was still learning a lot of the material I guess because he was reading off the iPad a lot.  They sounded rehearsed and locked in, but still feeling their way around as a new band.  I didn't get close enough to get more gear spotting done but it wasn't that big of a room.

Joss Stone was great.  She puts on a killer show and down to earth.  I did take some pics of the B3/Leslie/Nord rig but then I found the entire show was already up on YouTube and had better sights and sounds than what I got from my phone.   I don't think they are touring really heavily but they are definitely worth checking out if they come to your town, especially if you want to here a good soul band with a Hammond player.

Joss Stone - Live From Nashville 2022 (FULL CONCERT)

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

It's almost a totally different band.  Drummer and bass player are different as are two of the singers. The old keyboard player used a BX-3 from Korg.  I don't know who that guy is but why isn't he playing organ and piano at the same time?  I wonder who did those mods on the the Hammond at the 34.15 ? Joss's voice has matured wow!

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

1 hour ago, jeffinpghpa said:

...the Ryman Auditorium...

The venue itself is a work of art and I had never seen it before.  It was built in 1892 originally as a church and was the home of the Grand Ole Opry stage for decades until they built the current dedicated theater in Opryland.   But the history of who has played that stage is pretty incredible going to back to silent movie stars like Charlie Chaplin, to Elvis and Dolly Parton to everything else in between.  Very cool room and acoustics.

talk about The Ryman, CLONK here

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

Check this out from the Hammond-Technicians page.  Jim Alfredson gave me this concerning the Hammond rig. I thought it looked different in the video:

From Ty Bailie:

"The Ryman show? Upper right mic on rotor was down for first few songs on that one Rundown on rig: it’s an A-102 transplanted into a BV case. It has a pre -amp with drive/EQ with controls in the cheek block, but i bypass it for gigs like Joss. It has a 1/4 line out that i also don’t use for Joss and i can plug an expression pedal to have on the ground (that I’ve never used) i can plug in a trek ii solid state amp with just slight tweak to the expression linkage (really don’t use) and it has a Trek spring reverb unit that only works on the solid state (so i can’t use that) 3 speed Leslie 122 and that’s the rig! It’s good. Bill Axman put it together for me in LA and Murph Wanca keeps it humming here in Nash. Murph is pretty dang incredible. Every organ I’ve played in town backlined or studio with his sticker on it has been absolutely top notch."

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

2 hours ago, Outkaster said:

Check this out from the Hammond-Technicians page.  Jim Alfredson gave me this concerning the Hammond rig. I thought it looked different in the video:

From Ty Bailie:

"The Ryman show? Upper right mic on rotor was down for first few songs on that one Rundown on rig: it’s an A-102 transplanted into a BV case. It has a pre -amp with drive/EQ with controls in the cheek block, but i bypass it for gigs like Joss. It has a 1/4 line out that i also don’t use for Joss and i can plug an expression pedal to have on the ground (that I’ve never used) i can plug in a trek ii solid state amp with just slight tweak to the expression linkage (really don’t use) and it has a Trek spring reverb unit that only works on the solid state (so i can’t use that) 3 speed Leslie 122 and that’s the rig! It’s good. Bill Axman put it together for me in LA and Murph Wanca keeps it humming here in Nash. Murph is pretty dang incredible. Every organ I’ve played in town backlined or studio with his sticker on it has been absolutely top notch."

Murph is the best!

• Like 1

Steve.  He is one guy I don't really know and I am close with Tom Petro, Joe Durso and guys in the northeast.  I knew Sal a little but also as he lived near me.   I hear great stuff about Murph.

noblevibes.com

On 5/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, Outkaster said:

.... Joss's voice has matured wow!  ....

She is capable of great vocal pyrotechnics, but I think her artistic result is better when she does not use them as often. And that is what in this Nashville concert.

Ty is a great organist. He can do the jazz organ trio thing with ease as well as plenty of different styles. As mentioned earlier, he was the keyboardist for Katy Perry for years, which is a totally different skill set. He’s also a super humble and funny guy. I’m glad to see him with Joss Stone. He recently moved from LA to Nashville.

• Like 1

Oh, cool! I play in a Yacht Rock band that needed keys because their previous keyboard player was too busy for their gigs, and then moved away. That was Ty. Had I heard him play first I definitely would have been much more intimidated by the position than I was!

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com