Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vangelis RIP

I just heard that Vangelis passed away on May 17. Source is a colleague of his whom I know from IRCAM in Paris. No official links or stories online yet as far as I can tell.

• Sad 6

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Very sad news for sure.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I remember trying so hard to find the original Vangelis Bladerunner soundtrack way back when.  I (thought I) found it at Tower Records, I'm listening to it thinking "this sounds odd"...turns out it was some reconstruction of the soundtrack by someone else (???)  Pretty much note for note, but lacking the feel, I can't recall how that was even possible or deemed necessary, maybe some kind of copyright dispute?

A huge loss to the music and film scoring world. A giant in sound synthesis. 

• Like 2

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Defiantly an early influence in my youth. Chariots Of Fire led to an awareness of Heaven & Hell which is still in my top 20 favorite albums. So Long Ago, So Clear, the closing track of that album, was played at my wedding. 

Sad to hear of this great man’s passing.

How many, many tapes, LPs and CDs of his work do I own? How could I possibly set a value on his immense impact? It took me a few years to fully grasp that the same guy created "L'Apocalypse des animaux," "Albedo 0.39" and "Chariots of Fire." Humbling.

I have a soft-CS-80, but he's a lot of why I know how to use it. I'm going to enjoy revisiting some of his work for the next few weeks.   
For me, "China" rocks like an other-dimensional Led Zeppelin.

"I want to be an intellectual, but I don't have the brainpower.
  The absent-mindedness, I've got that licked."
        ~ John Cleese

I wore out my copy of Spiral in the late 1970s. And his collaboration with Jon Anderson on 'So Long Ago, So Clear' is one of the best things either of them have done.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

One of the greatest pioneers of electronic music!

666 is one of my beloved albums!

Also Socrates' album "Phos" (Aphrodite's Child and Socrates are the best Greek rock bands of all time) was produced by Vangelis (he was played keyboards and percussion on the album).

Check the song "Starvation", it has one of the finest keyboard riffs of all time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fZIVk1tV8

Καλό παράδεισο Βαγγέλη, καλό φως Χριστού!

R.I.P. Vangelis.

• Like 2

Kurzweil K2661 + full options,iMac 27",Mac book white,Apogee Element 24 + Duet,Genelec 8030A,Strymon Lex + Flint,Hohner Pianet T,Radial Key-Largo,Kawai K5000W,Moog Minitaur,Yamaha Reface YC + CP, iPad 9th Gen, Arturia Beatstep + V Collection 9

https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com

It's been a real bummer couple of months for the musicians I grew up with and was inspired by. I guess it's the age era of them. It was only the other month we lost Klaus Schulze 😞

• Like 1

The companions I can't live without: Kawai Acoustic Grand, Yamaha MontageM8x, Studiologic Numa Piano X GT, Kronos2-73, .
Other important stuff: Novation Summit, NI Komplete Ultimate 14 CE, Omnisphere, EW Hollywood Orchestra Opus, Spitfire Symphony Orchestra, Sonuscore Elysion and Orchestra Complete 3, Pianoteq 8 Pro, Roland RD88.

I found this obit yesterday after my brother texted the news. Sad that he died from COVID. A brutal way to go.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/vangelis-dead-chariots-of-fire-blade-runner-1235272061/

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager