Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Band power

3 hours ago, Theo Verelst said:

So, that ford's a hybrid, and when fully charged will allow you a 7kW 240Volts output. Ok, that's a decent P.A. with some LED lights...

Suppose you'd be able to use fulltime power from a 100kWh fully electric car, that would power 3 hours of a 10kW PA and 20kW of lights!

I would not mind using an Audi etron-2 with trailer for the purpose...

T.

this is a fully electric truck Theo - the Ford F-150 Lightning.  Looks like Ford is going all in on this, and in one of the videos they mention there are 200,000 pre-orders, with 75% of those being from folks who have never had a Ford before...wow

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Glad to see Ford (and the other truck-makers) going electric, but my sights are set on this--presuming of course it gets similar great reviews as the Telluride.  

https://www.kia.com/us/en/concept-vehicles/ev9

Granted this is a concept at this point but I'll be ready to buy when it (or something similar) comes out.   Some electric minivans would also be worthy contenders.   I love the Lightning but I reckon I'll have more use for the enclosed space than the open back.

55 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Glad to see Ford (and the other truck-makers) going electric, but my sights are set on this--presuming of course it gets similar great reviews as the Telluride.  

https://www.kia.com/us/en/concept-vehicles/ev9

Granted this is a concept at this point but I'll be ready to buy when it (or something similar) comes out.   Some electric minivans would also be worthy contenders.   I love the Lightning but I reckon I'll have more use for the enclosed space than the open back.

That Kia looks nice, I saw an EV6 for the first time in the wild about a week ago at Costco.  As glad as I am to see truck companies (and car companies in general) moving to full electricity at such a rapid pace, at the current moment, the charging and service infrastructure is too limited for the flood of EVs coming to the market in the near future.  Unfortunately, there is little incentive from the government for companies like Blink and Electrify America to expand the charging network and keep their chargers in full working order.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, my voice

For some people--me being one--as long as I can charge at home this won't be a big deal.   It would be a while before our household (four vehicles) is fully electric, but if I needed to go on a longish trip and didn't have access to one I'd just rent a gas car.  I figure by the time we are all electric things will be settled a lot more.   Covid has been a factor, limiting vacations and allowing me to work from home, but I doubt I've driven more than 150 miles in a week in several years.   Most weeks I probably don't drive 30 and almost all of those are to and from gigs!

Granted, I've been known to forget how low my as gauge is before setting out, so that would be a bit of a concern!

I haven't been following the various charging networks and connectors etc, but hopefully like the Betamax and VHS there can be one standard that emerges.  (And yeah I realize the Beta was considered better, sometimes the most worthy option doesn't win out!)

I've been following the development of electric trucks and SUV's and plug-in hybrids for a while. There will be many more models developed in the next 2-3 years. Currently, there is no plug-in hybrid truck. I'd be most interested in such a model because most of my driving is less than 30 miles round trip so that would all be on electricity, no gas. But I could drive 400 miles for the occasional trip to see the grandkids or vacation getaway. Right now, I don't see any plug-in hybrid trucks on the horizon; car makers are going full tilt on all-electric models. 

I want a truck because I need a vehicle with a tall door opening. I have neck problems and can't bend my head down to get into a vehicle without pain. A lot of vehicles look like they have a tall door opening or roof line but really don't. Toyota Highlander is one example. It's not headroom, it's the space from the seat to the top of the door opening that matters. I've gotten in and out of friends' Ford Explorer or Toyota Tacoma and it still makes me bend my head down to get in. I've learned to get in a car head first. But I'd love to just hop in my vehicle without having to bend my head down. I wish Ford made a plug-in hybrid Transit Connect or an electric model with 200-mile range.

Edit: spoke too soon without checking. Apparently there is a PHEV Ford Transit Connect available in Europe. PHEV and electric models are supposed to be in the US in 2023.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I'm one of those "don't buy the first version of anything" people anyway.  Let someone else storm the beach while they work the bugs out (to steal a line from Bill Burr talking about hair replacement :D )

That said, if a company is taking known tech from another model I'd be more likely to consider being an early adopter.

Exciting times.  I'm sure the rolling coal idiots (there is one I see when taking my kid to school sometimes, I think it's a high schooler) don't think so.

On 5/19/2022 at 9:13 AM, Stokely said:

I haven't been following the various charging networks and connectors etc, but hopefully like the Betamax and VHS there can be one standard that emerges.  (And yeah I realize the Beta was considered better, sometimes the most worthy option doesn't win out!)

I'be been tracking this a bit...  regarding the charging connectors, looks like most are using the same/standard connector - except for Tesla.  But looks like they have adapters so folks can charge up at the Tesla charging stations.

As for charging the Ford Lightning - you can charge them with a standard extension cord from your house - but it will take a long time (3 days).  With the included connector setup, around 10 hours (overnight).  And at the charging stations, about 45 min.  I don't have an electric now, but from what I understand some of the charging stations 'charge' a fee, and some others are complementary.  Looks like for most folks, charging them overnight at home will be the most common method - - and cheapest, as the rates are cheaper at night. 

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

17 minutes ago, TommyRude said:

…Looks like for most folks, charging them overnight at home will be the most common method - - and cheapest, as the rates are cheaper at night. 

I don’t have an electric… yet. But my brother and my wife’s sister do. They ‘currently’ charge with standard household 110v outlets, but my brother is going to start using 220v / 30a at home for much faster charging. I put a 220v outlet our garage a while ago in anticipation. 

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient and I will get to you shortly.

"Being able to power an outdoor gig without a noisy, unreliable generator is a benefit I hadn't even considered."

While I love EVs, I feel obligated to point out that this is a false dichotomy.  I power my gigs with a quiet, reliable generator.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

My desires are more along the lines of @Stokely -- a small delivery van form factor would be ideal for my music-related needs.  Our sound guy uses a gas-powered one for his gear -- low loading floor, integral ramp, fits in small spaces, etc.  so very nice if everything is in cases and on wheels.  There is no chance I'd want to go a long distance in a micro delivery van, so range is not an issue.

Nor am I enamored with the idea of powering an entire gig from my vehicle.  I did one of those out-in-the-boonies things during a hot Florida jungle afternoon and it's not something I'm going to want to do again anytime soon.  Beach gigs are fun, but they are duo/trio ceremonies that run nicely off my battery pack.

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

8 hours ago, WesG said:

I power my gigs with a quiet, reliable generator.

I recently ran sound for a cart for a parade, and we powered the entire thing (mixer, iPad that was running the music (that overheated in the middle of the parade, that was not fun), and power amp for the speakers) off a nice, quiet Honda inverter with zero issues that was rented from rent-a-center.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, my voice

• 7 months later...

I read about the Ram on Arstechnica.

Once again, a product that seems focused on widgets and fancy doodads, on entertainment systems.  Even worse was the Sony car, which seems to be a mobile way to present Sony entertainment packages.  How about focusing on a damn vehicle with a sane price and less crap that can break.

Not that I'd buy from a company that can't even make reliable regular engine cars, nor would I buy from a company who has never made cars (until some years have passed at least.)

Unfortunately electrics still seem mostly to be toys for the affluent.  More money for the manufacturers that way.  I could maybe afford most of them but I choose not to make my vehicle take that much of my budget.