Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard controller producing double attacks...

I have an Arturia Keylab88 mk1 (FATAR TP-100 LR). For a number of years now, when I record it, some notes register an immediate note-off and then a second note-on at a very low velocity. Any idea what causes this?

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My first guesses are either high-resolution MIDI is enabled, or some sort of MIDI loopback is happening. I don't know if that keyboard has hi-res MIDI though.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

About 3 years ago I had a Studiologic SL88 Studio which I believe has the same Fatar keybed as yours and I had exactly the same problem as you. In the end I took it back under warranty here in Australia. The distributor had it for over a month and was not able to fix it and had no stock to replace it so offered my money back which I gladly took. I was very happy with everything about this board except for this one issue.

I even let Studiologic know about this issue and I suspect they know about it all too well but aren’t saying much.

It got replaced by a second had Roland A88 which has been a rock solid performer with a very pleasant action. Only thing I dislike about it is the length of it.

During the troubleshooting stage when I still had the SL88 Googling around found that this was a not infrequent issue with the TP100LR keybed. Sounds like yours is out of warranty so second hand sale might be best. For me the double midi note issue was completely unacceptable and not something I could live with.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

17 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

My first guesses are either high-resolution MIDI is enabled, or some sort of MIDI loopback is happening. I don't know if that keyboard has hi-res MIDI though.

Probably this….I had the same issue with the Casio pxs3000. I just turned off the high res midi and it recorded one set of midi data. . 

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.

I'm starting to wonder if this is software/drive issue, or USB Midi and not hardware. My main daw is MOTU Digital Performer, but when I play it live with MainStage, I don't really encountered it, at least that I can hear.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

22 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

There's a fairly low chance that a 20-year-old keyboard has high-resolution midi! 🙂 

Eric, what I would do is either try recording using different software or on a different computer. If the problem persists I would suspect the hardware or firmware in the keyboard - if not, then software.

I would also consider the possibility that the age of the board points to degraded membrane switches that cause this double triggering (especially if it's always the same notes).  I'd disassemble the unit, peel off & clean the rubber switch membranes – that costs nothing but time and maybe a bottle of IPA and a few q-tips.