Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Gator case I didn't buy


Recommended Posts

<this is a continuation of a story I've told but w/an update>

 

I purchased a Gator GKB-88SLIM in 2017 for $89.98.  I ended up selling it. Move forward to around a year ago and I now needed a new case for my Kawai but the price for same case was $149.98. This is the story I told cause I'm all for prices going up but, IMO, they were gouging.

 

I still have the Gator case in my Wish list and now it is selling for $109.98. Kind of gave me a warm feeling to see the price drop.  Another thing I am trying to understand, how are they lowering price in this age of back orders, etc?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, 16251 said:

<this is a continuation of a story I've told but w/an update>

 

I purchased a Gator GKB-88SLIM in 2017 for $89.98.  I ended up selling it. Move forward to around a year ago and I now needed a new case for my Kawai but the price for same case was $149.98. This is the story I told cause I'm all for prices going up but, IMO, they were gouging.

 

I still have the Gator case in my Wish list and now it is selling for $109.98. Kind of gave me a warm feeling to see the price drop.  Another thing I am trying to understand, how are they lowering price in this age of back orders, etc?

Because it's in stock and they need to sell it and nobody seems to buy it at $149.98?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't understand the hate for the Gator Cases.  I bought a Gator Case for my Yamaha Motif XF8 about 10 years ago.  I did at least 500 gigs with this setup, plus countless moves to rehearsals, etc.  The case is just starting to show wear in one corner.  Zippers work fine.  Highly recommended, in my book.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Alesis Micron, Sonar X3, Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the padding and zippers on Gator GKB bags really that bad? Has the quality gone down in recent years? I've never bought a Gator bag/soft case but have been looking at getting one or two. One of the problems is that there is very little out there for slim keyboards. There are cheaper gig bags on Amazon but they seem of very questionable quality. Are Gator bags just as bad? What about the soft cases that seem a bit more re-enforced like the GK-76-SLIM with wheels?

 

EDIT: And does anyone know of any other gig bags that are decent for slim 61-note boards like an Electro? The GKB-49 is the only one I have come across. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got a Gator TSA from Thomann, which saved me over 100 dollars even after shipping (and I combined the order with a few other things, highly recommended.)   Not everything is cheaper there, but some things are definitely worth ordering from the states.  Caveat: something that you think might need returning, I probably wouldn't.

I didn't need a flight case but it's an absolutely perfect fit for a Forte 7, and I needed something sturdy and wheeled just due to the keyboard's weight.  It's easier to carry than the 88-semirigid case I was using despite being heavier, simply because it's more compact.   It seems well-built overall (better be for the price) though one latch takes more effort and I'm pretty annoyed by that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It is worth spending the extra $ on the Pro Go line.  I have had three of these and they are the most protective soft case available in my opinion.  I have one for my Wave 2 and one for my guitar.  Unfortunately, the price has doubled over the last year-

 

https://www.amazon.com/Gator-Ultimate-Removable-Keyboards-G-PG-61SLIM/dp/B00T0OJJJK/ref=sr_1_4?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpv2TBhDoARIsALBnVnk4yxMP_t_rrowOiC0I3I-WwzWv2iVc8hYxWDcdJEs4b5pLsvoNRhgaAk2vEALw_wcB&hvadid=345510466452&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9030766&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9580027649329836080&hvtargid=kwd-302611465825&hydadcr=29617_10190128&keywords=gator%2B61%2Bslim&qid=1652554187&sr=8-4&th=1

 

-dj

iMac i7 11.6

Studio One 5.5

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got the PG-88SLIM last May from Amazon for $220; it is now $400. It is a great case; perfect fit for my PC4. The pocket design could be better IMO - it is one pocket the size of the entire side, that is a tight fit for sustain and volume pedals (could be deeper). Most other cases I have had featured two pockets, with each pocket being a little deeper and allowing for easier storage of said pedals. Still, recommended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2022 at 2:51 PM, DJKeys said:

It is worth spending the extra $ on the Pro Go line.  I have had three of these and they are the most protective soft case available in my opinion.  I have one for my Wave 2 and one for my guitar.  Unfortunately, the price has doubled over the last year-

 

Unfortunately, prices on many things have doubled in the last year. It's not just the materials and labor, it's the cost of shipping.

Most retailers have shipping built into the final price of an item.

Customers might pay $400 for a case, but they will balk at $300 plus $100 shipping.

With diesel fuel at US $6.00 and up a gallon, thats what shipping costs there days. Trying times we live in today

:nopity:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

Unfortunately, prices on many things have doubled in the last year. It's not just the materials and labor, it's the cost of shipping.

Most retailers have shipping built into the final price of an item.

Customers might pay $400 for a case, but they will balk at $300 plus $100 shipping.

With diesel fuel at US $6.00 and up a gallon, thats what shipping costs there days. Trying times we live in today

I agree but in my case (no pun intended,) they were gouging and they lost a sale. I was happy with the case, when I had it and for $90, but at $150 - no, but $110, I would of purchased.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 16251 said:

I agree but in my case (no pun intended,) they were gouging and they lost a sale. I was happy with the case, when I had it and for $90, but at $150 - no, but $110, I would of purchased.

I believe you. My post was "generally speaking". I just shipped a 30 pound box from DC to Seattle UPS ground today. Cost me US $89.00. plus Reverb fees.

Just changed all items over 10 pounds on my Reverb page to "local pickup only".

:nopity:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...