Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: how to recover properly when you fail during a live performance

I enjoyed that! Got to love learners. While that was my world for a long time, as a Canadian I had to check to see what the protocols for the American national anthem are. I don’t know why the boy didn’t just grab the cymbal and keep going. That was a nice improvised move, I guess. I loved the kid’s focus before the mishap and the eye contact thing with the bass drum player is awesome. 
Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh CyberGene. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Piktor said:

I enjoyed that! Got to love learners. While that was my world for a long time, as a Canadian I had to check to see what the protocols for the American national anthem are. I don’t know why the boy didn’t just grab the cymbal and keep going. That was a nice improvised move, I guess. I loved the kid’s focus before the mishap and the eye contact thing with the bass drum player is awesome. 
Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh CyberGene. 

Look closely.   The handle broke.

Also, this is Eisenhower Junior High School in Utah. Nick name "The Generals"

• Like 3

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

One of my kids got really into the band life in middle school all through high school.  It was and still is completely astounding to me how fast those kids can get playing together (well) on very difficult-to-learn instruments.

Middle school band instructor is one of the most difficult jobs I can think of.  I probably make a lot more money than any of them doing IT work and my job is simple  compared to that one (and far less influential and important to both individuals and society I'd argue.)

• Like 1

I was expecting the cymbal player to clap his hands at the parts, the crowd joining in (We Will Rock You) but he could save that for a future arena gig. 

Here for the gear.

55 minutes ago, Stokely said:

One of my kids got really into the band life in middle school all through high school.  It was and still is completely astounding to me how fast those kids can get playing together (well) on very difficult-to-learn instruments.

Middle school band instructor is one of the most difficult jobs I can think of.  I probably make a lot more money than any of them doing IT work and my job is simple  compared to that one (and far less influential and important to both individuals and society I'd argue.)

I agree, but as a teacher I would say that statement covers just about all teachers, and especially middle schoolers. It's brutal for that age group......girls are like age 14 going on 20, and boys are like age 14 going on 10, all together in one class. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Awesome video! Thanks for the smiles…

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Should of just held the one cymbal and queued the snare player to hit the cymbal for him.  The girl with the bass drum made it for me as she was cracking up after the cymbal fail. Have a feeling that cymbal kid will get razzed about that the rest of the semester. 

49 minutes ago, Docbop said:

Should of just held the one cymbal and queued the snare player to hit the cymbal for him.  The girl with the bass drum made it for me as she was cracking up after the cymbal fail. Have a feeling that cymbal kid will get razzed about that the rest of the semester. 

The show must go on!!!!!!

• Haha 3

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I commend both performers who kept going on these videos.  The singer helping the key board player recover with such pizazz and the boy who simply saluted the flag in a very patriotic way.  I doubt I would have had the creativity or the impetus to continue after either a failed stand or broken cymbal.

Way to go to both!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Docbop said:

Have a feeling that cymbal kid will get razzed about that the rest of the semester. 

According to some YouTube comments from his schoolmates he was called Hollywood after that heroic incident 😀

BTW, the CNN made a short interview with him:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, AUSSIEKEYS said:

Did he win the girl in the end just like in the movies?

Yes but not the one he hoped for.   The girl he wanted was in the janitors closet with one of the Jocks and didn't see the flop and salute. 

• Cool 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 10:45 AM, zxcvbnm098 said:

I agree, but as a teacher I would say that statement covers just about all teachers, and especially middle schoolers. It's brutal for that age group......girls are like age 14 going on 20, and boys are like age 14 going on 10, all together in one class. 

Hilarious and astute. I was fortunate to teach in a community where parent support was high, so I stuck around...for 32 years (without one window 😬). Parents make a huge difference. Fortunately, I really enjoyed teaching kids of that age, though sometimes work-gig-family balance was a challenge. I wonder how YOU do it. 

The boy in this video seems to have good instincts for improvisation. 

I resurrect this video recorded in 1998 every few years at KC.  The highpoint of my failed musical career occurs at ~32 seconds. I don't know if my recovery was "proper" but at least in hindsight it's good for a few laughs.  My apologies to those of you who've seen it before. 

• Wow! 2
  • Haha 1

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)