Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Ringtones ...

So presumably like me, you have a handheld phone and from time to time, you get tired of the ringtones on offer. Do you seek out unique or interesting ringtones? Roll your own?

As travel has begun again, I notice that I am grabbing my Iphone when someone else's phone 📱 is ringing. I really do need something different. Any pointers? 

I think I'm actually using a texting tone for my ringtone...just a simple series of beeps.  I haven't heard anyone else using it, which is good.

I used to think about using my synths/sound fx I have in software to make my own, but frankly I just can't drum up the energy to do it :)   I get so few phone calls a day that I actually answer anyway....but that would be a way to get something unique.

My wife used to use an apple ringtone consisting a bluesy piano riff.   We still had our old spinet at that time, so of course I sat down and learned it, and occasionally played it just to be a jerk :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stokely said:

I used to think about using my synths/sound fx I have in software to make my own, but frankly I just can't drum up the energy to do it :)   I get so few phone calls a day that I actually answer anyway....but that would be a way to get something unique.

Cycling through the same thoughts bro… 😅

Back in 2005 or so, I was running business development for a big consumer software publisher (the company publishes a lot of "cereal box" software - inexpensive $30 programs sold in colorful boxes at Best Buy and similar). Easy to use products for generally non-tech-savvy users. One of the products was a ringtone maker, back when software was so inelegant that something like that could be sold to consumers. 

I used it to convert the opening fanfare of UK's In The Dead Of Night into my ringtone - and 17 years later or so, I'm still using it as my primary ringtone. 

Nothing like those CS80 chords with Bruford's octobon rolls to announce someone trying to sell me an extended car warranty.

• Like 1

I made some ring tones for a couple of people just using my digital mixer/recording software and saving as *.mp3.  Two were for my comedy partner.  One was a monkey screaming (Morpheus the mortified monkey was our mascot) and the other was Dawson saying, "Oh, yeah, oh, yeah".  I am sure that one got some interesting reactions as to what was going on.  The other was for another friend who had done paranormal/metaphysical shows with me and was a sound effects thing I created for the intro to the show we had done and my echoed voice saying, "Stand by for incoming multi-dimensional transmission".

I used the last one on my old phone and forgot about it when I got this phone last year, so maybe I should load those on and use instead of the guitar riff one in the default list.  I would look forward to being out in public when my phone rings and I get those looks from people going 'What the--?"

🤣

Back in the day when iTunes was a good app you could make ringtones with it and I made quite a few.     One of my favorite memories was when I was working in Media for the church and we were in our weekly meeting reviewing and planning events.   I forget to turn off the ringer on my phone and meet my phone rings and Charlie Parker's sax solo from Blues for Alice is blasting.    Lucky it was Media meeting so everyone got a laugh out of it.   

In the early answering phone days and the announcement message was on a cassette.  One of the teachers at the music school made really crazy  answering machine tape with wild stories on them.  So I started recording my own cassettes for my answering machines.   One of mine a relative of mine called and heard the tape and thought I was in trouble and called the police.   Police called my number heard it and realized it was a joke and had to explain it to my relative.   I had lots of funny making answering machine tapes. 

• Haha 1

I have a friend whose ringtone for her son is "Family Guy"'s Stewie, spewing "Mommy! Ma! Mama! Mommy! Ma!" Trashy yet completely appropriate.

• Haha 1

"What's the password?"
"'I have bourbon.'"
     ~ Joe Hill, "Full Throttle Stories"