Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Key largo as mixer


Recommended Posts

I’m interested in using the Key Largo as a mixer/interface between powered speakers and a Kurzweil pc3k, my GSI Gemini desktop and an I-Pad software piano. 
The Radial website states- “The Key-Largo is not supported by iOS devices. The USB connection on the Key-Largo was designed to be connected to laptop or a computer with a USB port”

So that doesn’t stop me from using the iPad headphone output to send the software piano audio to the mixer, right ?

Does the incompatibility just refer to the Ipad and Key largo linked together not being able to use software like a DAW through the usb?

 

 

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ CPS SSV3/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo

Link to comment
Share on other sites



14 minutes ago, Jonathan Hughes said:

"Does the incompatibility just refer to the Ipad and Key largo linked together not being able to use software like a DAW through the usb?"

Yes. Audio is audio if it's coming out of an analog headphone jack.

Yes, kind of obvious I guess, but need to ask before spending dollars

  • Like 1

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ CPS SSV3/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

not to derail your thread but if all you are using the ipad for is acoustic piano i would check out both the newest acoustic pianos for the Gemini, both the Yamaha C5 and the Steinway D274.  They are the real deal.  this might allow you to drop the ipad altogether if you're only using it for acoustic piano and simplify your rig.

 

yamaha

 

steinway

 

 

 

  • Like 1

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Delaware Dave said:

not to derail your thread but if all you are using the ipad for is acoustic piano i would check out both the newest acoustic pianos for the Gemini, both the Yamaha C5 and the Steinway D274.  They are the real deal.  this might allow you to drop the ipad altogether if you're only using it for acoustic piano and simplify your rig.

 

yamaha

 

steinway

 

 

 

Hey interesting, I had no idea they had released new pianos, I will definitely download them and give them a whirl, thanks Dave.

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ CPS SSV3/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should mention Dave I’m unhappy the way my piano sounds are being colored and I’ve determined it’s my Allen and Heath mixer that is affecting the tonal quality, and really,  the pursuit of a better piano sound is being targeted with the substitution of a Key Largo.

 

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ CPS SSV3/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, tonybanksfan said:

“The Key-Largo is not supported by iOS devices. The USB connection on the Key-Largo was designed to be connected to laptop or a computer with a USB port”

 

 

There's previous posts about this issue, seems it works thru an USB hub

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, mobi said:

 

There's previous posts about this issue, seems it works thru an USB hub

So it probably just a power issue, the Key Largo USB port doesn't have enough power for the iPad.   Not that uncommon a lot of devices you need to run from a powered hub or adapter to the iPad or iPhone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Docbop said:

So it probably just a power issue, the Key Largo USB port doesn't have enough power for the iPad.   Not that uncommon a lot of devices you need to run from a powered hub or adapter to the iPad or iPhone. 

 

Keylargo has USB type B port.  USB type B does not deliver any power, it expects the other end of the USB cable to deliver the power. Same goes with the lightning port in iPad/iPhone, it also expects the other end to feed the power. If you found a cable connecting Keylargo to iPad (good luck finding such cable) you'd have two gadgets both expecting the other end providing the juice. A USB hub solves that puzze.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, U.Honey said:

 

Keylargo has USB type B port.  USB type B does not deliver any power, it expects the other end of the USB cable to deliver the power. Same goes with the lightning port in iPad/iPhone, it also expects the other end to feed the power. If you found a cable connecting Keylargo to iPad (good luck finding such cable) you'd have two gadgets both expecting the other end providing the juice. A USB hub solves that puzze.

USB  1 and 2 don't support power but USB 3 does the USB on the Key Largo is type 2.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, tonybanksfan said:

Should mention Dave I’m unhappy the way my piano sounds are being colored and I’ve determined it’s my Allen and Heath mixer that is affecting the tonal quality, and really,  the pursuit of a better piano sound is being targeted with the substitution of a Key Largo.

 

I sold my Allen & Heath ZED 10 and use a Radial Key Largo for gigs.  Much quieter and cleaner than the A&H.

 

Great piece of gear but you may want to also buy a decent headphone amp to go with it.

  • Like 1

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Yamaha YC88, Nord Stage 3C, Nord Wave 2, Viscount Legend Live, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk2, Arturia V Collection 8, Komplete 13 Ultimate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jeffinpghpa said:

Great piece of gear but you may want to also buy a decent headphone amp to go with it.

Hey thanks for that info, sounds like you’ve been down this road I’m on now.

Can you suggest any name brand or model devices regarding a headphone amp?

Kurzweil PC3K8/ GSI Gemini Desktop/ CPS SSV3/ QSC K8.2/ Radial Key Largo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They went up like everything. Jonathan Little, the company founder, was selling them out of a tiny, one man booth at NAMM a few years back for $385. Then they got popular because people heard how good they are. Many prefer his amp to the more expensive Rupert Neve.

 

https://tapeop.com/interviews/btg/75/jonathan-little/

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

 

NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...