Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for Studio Workstation Furniture

I am redesigning my studio and I am searching for a desk that could support my Numa X 88, Motif xs7,  and a MacBook pro with video and audio monitors. I would like a cool contemporary look. 

Any suggestions?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

The word "Studio" is like the words "Golf" and "Dentist", it increases the price by a considerable margin. 

"New" is also a cost multiplier. 

That said, this is about ergonomics. A comfortable workstation is a good workstation. 

If a chair is part of your concept, buy it first and spend what you must to get something really nice. That's a great start at least. 

There are too many unknowns and variables to go much beyond that here. Buy nice or buy twice!

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I simply doweled two brackets to the wall, mounted a shortened tabletop on it, hung the screen on the wall, put the studio monitors and two 19 inch racks on the table and simply put the keyboard on a keyboard stand in front of or under the plate. total cost about 200 bucks. looks good and ergonomics work great for me. for my needs certainly better than any affordable studio desk I've found.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

5 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

The word "Studio" is like the words "Golf" and "Dentist", it increases the price by a considerable margin. 

"New" is also a cost multiplier. 

Exactly.   I didn't want to shell out close to $10k for an electric standing studio desk.    I bought a solid butcher block,  electric desk frame, and hired a guy (any wood worker or carpenter can do this very easily.   Then I bought a few wood computer monitor stands.   The pics were taken before everything was setup, but you get the idea.   I might add that the frame can hold 350 or 375 LBS, and the whole thing cost me $1,110 including the labor cost of $600 plus the monitor stands.  1139451320_desk1.thumb.jpg.df60dc56d332bcec9b56d5d3979bd516.jpg

1507512724_desk2.thumb.jpg.e658c342979b6f86fe81c832097d36a2.jpg

• Like 1

Well… I currently have the RAB Audio ProRak 88 Desk but I’m looking to replace it. For the money it’s between Zaor and AZ Studios. I need something big enough to hold a full size 88 key keyboard like the RD-2000 or Fantom 8. AZ is the only one that is power height adjustable.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

To clarify, you're wanting said desk to support the Numa X88 and the Motif XS7 simultaneously, yes? And presumably so both can be played etc at any time?

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

11 hours ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

To clarify, you're wanting said desk to support the Numa X88 and the Motif XS7 simultaneously, yes? And presumably so both can be played etc at any time?

Ideally..

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

My plan is somewhat simple--use a regular keyboard stand and get a standing desk (one with one leg on each side) that lets me slide the stand under it.  I've been doing this now with a regular desk but I'm tall and I'd prefer getting both keyboard and desk up higher.

Since I won't really be using the "standing desk" to sit and stand throughout the day, I'm looking at the manual crank ones (electric seems like something that could fail down the line).  I think these desks look nice and minimalistic and they are completely open underneath.

I don't have any outboard gear so this plan should be fine.  Speakers are on stands and my monitor is on an arm that clamps to the desk, so a flat desktop is fine.  One thing I don't like is that almost all the tops that come with the legs are 24" deep and I'd prefer deeper.   I'm probably going to get the legs separate and mount a nice wood one from home depot etc unless I can find a 48" x 30" one (or close to that).

Edit, I kind of missed the "two keyboards at once" thing :)   My plan wouldn't work for that!

I've also been looking at that AZ Summit stand. Along the way I've discovered this build-to-order company, which looks to make some similar configs:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SoundesignStudio?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=871333545

While going down the Etsy rabbit hole, I also found this piece:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/786695066/the-capriccio-studio-desk-top-for 

Expensive for what it is, but one of the nicest designs I've run across. I contacted the vendor and he doesn't have time right now to build another one, but for me it's a good point of reference for design possibilities.  

B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

Legend '70s Compact, Jupiter-Xm, Studiologic Numa X 73

2 hours ago, Brad Kaenel said:

Thanks Brad... But I am afraid for a used piece of furniture, that is priced pretty high.  I am close to the AZ folks spoke I will be checking out the summit.  Like being able to stand at my age....

• 6 months later...

My plan is (similar to one post described above) to get a manual-crank standing desk frame (just to get a bit more height, not to move it constantly) and a solid wood top from Lowes/Home Depot or other local spot.

Speakers I put on stands, my big monitor I have on a clamp monitor arm.  I have one piece of rack gear, the 90s era Crown power amp that powers my 90s era KRK speakers :D   So that simplifies things a bit.

I like the standing desks that only have supports on the side, that way I can keep a midi keyboard on my z stand.  Just slide it out from under the desk a bit when ready to play.  I recently priced a frame and top and it wasn't all that much, a few hundred, and metal/wood so should last forever.  Just say no to particle board is my motto!

On 11/23/2022 at 8:30 PM, Lylith said:

I guess the table has to be massive and stable, not just modern. The most ideal solution is solid oak or something similar and a frame from a studio workshop (like a piano).

You can check out the metal top tables at https://eurekaergonomic.com/standing-desks/. Some of them have special brackets and rails that are convenient and safe for machinery. Preservation of equipment at the highest level will be, although you can find better options or make-to-order. I paid attention to the countertop and its thickness. The main thing is that it should not be hollow, but have sufficiently strong properties and high density.

As an aside I wouldn't worry so much about the top or legs collapsing or breaking, it would be more about shear and the legs not being stable enough to keep from moving sideways/backward.    I haven't built one but I looked at many designs for DIY aquarium stands, and it's pretty amazing how flimsy-looking a stand can be and still hold up a VERY heavy aquarium (roughly 10 pounds per gallon when full)--providing the sides don't move and someone has done the engineering.  Vertical strength isn't the issue at all (to a point), though a lot of people feel they need to build stands out of 4x4s when actually a piece of plywood on edge can be more than strong enough.  Trickier to build though!  Not apples to apples of course as glass aquariums only need support on the edges :)  Plexiglas ones do need support all along the bottom so you generally put a piece of ply there and cross supports under.

Good thread, I'm still looking for ideas myself.