Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question about controller with Fatar TP/8S action

Hi everyone.

I'm aware of most older keyboards that sport this brilliant synth action, but I would like to ask if there is any controller (just board without sounds) with the Fatar TP/8s. 61 or 76 keys. 

Also any ideas about controllers with the waterfall TP/8o, since that action is also something I like.

Please be specific only on those 2 particular Fatar actions since I know most other actions available by the italian company.

By the way, is there anything similar (or really close) to the Yamaha FS action? I'm also aware of most older models that sport that one, but since weight is an issue and I don't want any 80s-90s sounds I would like to ask if there is something equally feelgood and solid on any midi controllers.

Thanks in advance

There is nothing simply called "TP/8" but there are multiple versions...

TP/8S (standard synth action) (and also apparently a TP/8SK that I've never seen)

TP/8O (waterfall organ action, white keys about 5 1/8")

TP/8Piano (piano-shaped lipped keys, white keys close to 6")

however even the boards within each version don't necessarily feel identical, as different units within a version may be available with or without aftertouch, with springs of different tension (at least for the TP/8O), and/or possibly with or without added weighted (i.e. unweighted or semi-weighted)... I seem to remember there being unweighted and semi-weighted versions of TP/8S but I'm not certain, and haven't been able to confirm that in a quick search.

To the specific question at hand, the only TP/8O controller I am aware of was the Studiologic VMK-161 in its "organ" version. (Though Doepfer has made a bunch of Fatar-based controllers, they may have made one too...?)

TP/8S is a more common action, there are probably a number of those. The Novation SL Mk II is one.

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thank you AnotherScott for another thorough answer on actions.

Doepfer is always overpriced for casual and studio use, since it's made for heavy touring and pro stage use. Very trustworthy for these purposes IMO. 

So Novation 61 and VMK 161 are the ones I'm looking for on the used market. 

PS. Please provide a link on the info regarding the Novation and the VMK, just to make sure.

Since by what I'm reading the Novation SL  mk1 and 2 uses the Fatar TP/9s (which is quite lighter than the TP/8s - used to have it on my old prophecy, not bad, not up to the M1 or SY 77 heights), and the VMK plus is having a TP40 something.

I agree with AnotherScott, Delaware Dave. Most companies don't enter into too much detail regarding their parts. If you want more info please enter the Fatar site or make a google research regarding their actions and code names and specifications, on this or other fora.

Thanks for your input anyways, but I'm absolutely specific on my question and I wouldn't like to have a thread regarding general fatar action questions or answers.

It's either Fatar TP/8s or TP/8o or Yamaha FS (or similar), 61 or 70 something. 

4 hours ago, AnotherScott said:

TP/8S (standard synth action) (and also apparently a TP/8SK that I've never seen)

TP/8O (waterfall organ action, white keys about 5 1/8")

TP/8Piano (piano-shaped lipped keys, white keys close to 6")

In bold, I think this is the one used on the Korg PA-4X arranger (and indeed on all previous PA arrangers -although it has improved slightly from the PA-1X)

It is a wonderful semi-weighted action, akin to the old Roland A-70.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I'm also a big fan of the TP/8S action, and it's always been a mystery to me why nobody has built a controller with it as far as I know.  (I can confirm the Novation SL boards use a TP/9S action. Not bad, as you say, but lacking that great feel of the TP/8S with its extended pivot point.) These days the TP/8S seems to show up on really big and expensive synths like the Moog One and Waldorf Quantum. Like you it sounds, I'd buy a 61 or 76-key TP/8S controller in a heartbeat.

• Like 1
B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine

54 minutes ago, Irena said:

I can confirm the Novation SL boards use a TP/9S action

Ah, I thought it used the 8S, thanks for the correction.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It seems like I have to research the lightest and cheapest available solution from the older romplers that sport these actions I'm looking for. Luckily enough I know most affordable old models that have those.

For your interest, TP/8s alternative is shorter than TP/8s, so it's not the same keybed at all.

All available data regarding actions and models can be found easily and the prices for early- mid 90s models are quite modest. Especially since I don't care about their sounds and other features I may find something defective on other parts than midi out in a really good price.

The standard for me has always been the Novation SL Mk2 which I let go of some years ago for a Nektar Panorama P6 because of it’s deep MainStage integration. It’s action is close to excellent but slightly less preferable to me than the Novation as it’s keyfall is a little deeper.

I can’t remember if the SL was TP8xx or TP9xx but I agree with AnotherScotts earlier comment that the same keybed does not equal the same feel necessarily because I recall my Prophet 12 keyboard was meant to have the same as the Novation and they did feel different somewhat.

Paul Najar

Jaminajar music production

www.jaminajar.com

• 2 months later...

After all I bought a used GEM S2 Turbo that sports the older version of TP8/S with Poly aftertouch assignable to anything. Action wise the TP8/S can be considered solid. Not very different to TP9/S (I owned a Prophecy for a long time), slightly slower and a bit more "piano" like. Very good.

The action works in a completely different way to the usual rubber contact actions. Every key has a very thin spring "rod" that regulates the pressure. The rods can become slightly dirty and not move properly after a long period of heavy use but they can be cleaned. If they break they can be soldered. Highly improbable to find spare ones.

In my case only 4 keys out of 61 have a slightly lower velocitym which is quite normal since we 're talking about a 30years old keyboard.

But in general the Gem S2 Turbo is an affordable and very interesting keyboard, a very very good controller and the poly aftertouch is a miracle. I had to add a usb floppy emulator in order to save my set ups, because weirdly enough there is no inner memory. 

Wow--great additional info. Thank you.  I've read some of those GEM boards have poly AT, but never knew any of them used a TP/8S action. The S2 Turbo you describe sounds like a dream 61-key controller. Congrats.

• Like 1
B/Midiboard/VirusKC/Matrix12/EX5/Maschine