Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I play the pentatonic

Yep, that's a bit of the major pentatonic scale. Sounded very nice too! 😋

Of course if one starts from the 6th note of the diatonic scale (5th note of the pentatonic) and uses it as the tonic, then we are playing the minor pentatonic or "blues" scale.

One of the great things about scales on guitar is that you can simply move the same shape to a different fret and play in another key. 

Add in the major and minor pentatonic chordal scales on all 4 sets of 3 strings and up and down the fretboard -  you can play just about any modern blues, rock or country music. 

Move on up to the diatonic scale (both single notes and chords) and even more possibilities become available and all of the shapes remain mobile. 

Throw in the "notes that are wrong" and you can play anything!!! 😇

• Like 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I always add the b5 blue note to the 5 note pentatonic major and minor scales, making it a 6-note scale.  The pie al la mode will increase the mass in the middle section, while the flat five puts me in better shape for blues a la mode...then I get more into the modes for desert LoL! 😎

Take care, Larryz