Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The American music awards

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How about the goofball presenters, near the show start, who brought out their new artist, to say hello, and she starts singing. What kind of kiss-ass, money grubbing move was that? The girl had a good voice, but how tacky can they get? Oh, yeah, let's see... The Isley Bros. come out of nowhere to garner a nomination, and lose to Destiny's Child. Just from the clips you could hear: Isley Bros - little or no fx on the vocals. They can SING. Destiny's Child - Completely buried in fx. I couldn't watch anymore.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Was it just my TV or was the sound splattering every now and then? I was bopping channels and caught Cher and near the end a male gospel singer doing a cover arrangement (I have a mental block on the name right now) and both times the peak volumes were distorting. The TV's volume setting was way down too so I suspect the production. Crap, can these performers maybe dress a little better than my local dumpster divers and take their fingers away from their collective ears and noses? I felt creepy just looking at 'em.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Man oh man.... 85% of these half wits REALLY make musicians look like they are all childish, cussing idiots. Sad. Very Sad. Cher, if you are gonna sing - SING DAMNIT!! Lip syncing is just an insult to the folks who have to listen. The dress code seems to be getting worse every year. Bloody embarassing. I'll stick to making MUSIC. SH

---------------------------------

Seventh Heaven Studio

[quote]Originally posted by SeventhHeaven: [b]Man oh man.... 85% of these half wits REALLY make musicians look like they are all childish, cussing idiots. Sad. Very Sad. Cher, if you are gonna sing - SING DAMNIT!! Lip syncing is just an insult to the folks who have to listen. The dress code seems to be getting worse every year. Bloody embarassing. I'll stick to making MUSIC. SH[/b][/quote] Be nice SH. Cher can't move her top lip anymore so it's hard to tell when she's really singing. :p
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

The ego formally known as an artist, Pee Did He. Cher did look attractive as a blonde. My daughter couldn't believe she was older than me. Michael Jackson makes a pretty good lookin' woman, too. My plastic surgeon must not be as good. I GOT YOU BAAAABE. (followed by the one of the only oboe solos in pop music)

He not busy being born

Is busy dyin'.

...Bob Dylan

I missed it because I was down at Henson (A&M) all day / night... but I did hear about the Destiny's Child fiasco - a couple of the heavy hitters from Dreamworks came by the session and told us about it.... best [i]pop-rock?[/i] :rolleyes: [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

[quote]Originally posted by vesper: [b]You must admit, however, that Yolanda Adams's performance was incredible. The Musical arrangement was happening for sure. That girl can sing! Most everyone else really, really sucked. [ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: vesper ][/b][/quote] You got that right! I'll be checking her stuff out this weekend. "It's hard to make a comeback when you haven't been anywhere"

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Ugh, overall. Well, I thought Kid Rock's song sucked but his schtick was awesome. Coming out on the hood of the General Lee! Perfect! And the lip-syncing joke at the beginning with the reel-to-reel and the mannequin was dead on. Kravitz bowing to KISS was cool too. Was switching back and forth from the Jackson thing at the Garden... that was pretty surreal. G. Ratte'

[quote]Originally posted by fantasticsound: [b]How about the goofball presenters, near the show start, who brought out their new artist, to say hello, and she starts singing. What kind of kiss-ass, money grubbing move was that? The girl had a good voice, but how tacky can they get? [/b][/quote] Yeah, that was when i puked. How incredible.

[quote]Originally posted by henrysb3: [b]Cher did look attractive as a blonde. My daughter couldn't believe she was older than me.[/b][/quote] Yeah, it's amazing what a few facelifts will do for you :D . I missed the show last night as I was at band practice, so I can't make any smart-ass comments about it. Oh well, there will be several other award shows I can mock in the future...

Wasn't the video and audio out of sync during Lenny Kravitz' performance? Did any one else notice that? Also, something funny about the harmonies: His guitar and bass player would start singing and then their voices would come up in the mix halfway into the sentence. At the exact same point, each time. Purpose? Rockin' song, IMHO, but why not have the drummer actually fill it in more? Three minutes of straight kick-hat-snare is kind of boring when the song is MUCH more alive than that. Lenny, you rule and everything, but whassuuuuup?

A few observations - Britney Spears sounds way better when she's lip-synching. Alecia Keys is much better singing than speaking. P.Diddy is only aware of the hip-hop community. Jenny McCarthy is still goofy. Tim McGraw has class. Kid Rock has a great sense of humor. Usher is way overrated - and getting away with it big time. Shameless self-promotion is alive and well - and as nauseating as ever. A note to the presenters: RIF (Reading is Fundamental). A little more practice wouldn't have hurt.

I missed the show up until the point of the R n B awards. WTF was with the best POP ROCK WINNER...????? I started out hating Kid Rock, but I am really starting to like his sense of humor and what appears to be a good work ethic and musical diversity.The tape/doll thing was funny and the tune was decent.... Bad mix on the 'unsigned band', but pretty good overall. I thought Rusted Root meats Big Country with a sprinkle of DMB. P-Diddy is a buffoon. I am sorry, but a soul-ful rendition of George Harrison tunes is NOT a tribute.LV can sing his ass off, but I was not happy about those versions. Michael Jackson can sing and move, but I have decided to group him into two eras'-Blackael Jackson and Whiteael Jackson. I was flipping between the Jackon concert and the AMA's, and I cannot believe how tweaked he is. At Least Lenny won... What a mess overall. What award show represents the 'real' music world....??

Someone please come along and correct me if i am wrong, but as far as i can tell, the AMA's work like this.... Dick sends out a sheet to all the record companies with all the categories on it and a minimum bid in each category. The record companies pencil in the artist they want to submit to win and the maximum $$$ they are willing to pay(bid) to have that artist win the "Award" and then send it back to Dick. Dick gets all the peices of paper and rolls around naked in them cause they are better than money, they are power and money. No one really knows who's gonna win, unless they send Dick another $50,000 to tell them who won, so they (the record co) doesn't have to waste the artist's time sending them to the peice of shit show for nothing. The thing the record company doesn't get is that when they review the results as to wether getting the artists on the show the year before did any good is that the artist they spent all the money on the year before, including putting them on Dicks piece of shit show, did the best, cause they spent the most money on that artist, and dicks little piece of shit show only made them look stupid(er). How about Alicia Keys. It's pretty pathetic when a white person tries to talk the Black lingo, but when a Black person sounds worse than most pathetic white's doing it.. That is some fucked up shit!

I saw the opening list of artists. Wanted to see Luther Vandross and Yolanda Adams. Decided that two artists in 3 and one half hours was not worth it so I started channel surfing. Got to see Cher. She looked like she was trying to be Madonna. But old. And with less talent. At least I got to see Luther Vandross and Yloanda Adams get an award. Oh well. I will hold my breath and hope the Grammies are better. Robert (Turning blue in the face.)
This post edited for speling.

For me, the highlights: -Yolanda Adams gave singing lessons to all the wannabe divas (Destiny's Child should have been taking copious notes). -Lenny Kravitz is an oxymoron in the industry, He is a great talent and although I am not a real rock fan, I dig his music. -Luther Vandross gave some lessons, too. People need to learn the difference between singing and being an artist. -Who was this singer named "Crystal" or something? She had some pipes on her, and shocked me for sure when she belted out that acapella version of "Sweet Sweet Spirit" before she presented the award. WHO IS THAT MYSTERY LADY? The lowlights-the rest of the ENTIRE show... Pathetic, sad, and embarassing. [ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: MusicWorkz ]

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Yes, well, this confirms it - I'm glad I just make music for my soul and share it with whomever I want! Sorry to be negative on the young newcomers - it's pretty pathetic out there! I think I'll buy a country and try this all over again :D Yolanda - real / Luther's renditions like mentioned - not gifted - Alicia, oh well - Evelyn Champaign King couldn't speak either - but since she can write, she'll be OK in the future - Lenny, great sound - burnet style, time for a change! Michael - It's why I don't push my daughter, lawyer, doctor, etc., would be fine, but I'm afraid she's got the bug bad! In general, the quality of American music has gone away - sad! :(

Yes, well, this confirms it - I'm glad I just make music for my soul and share it with whomever I want! Sorry to be negative on the young newcomers - it's pretty pathetic out there! I think I'll buy a country and try this all over again :D Yolanda - real / Luther's renditions like mentioned - not gifted - Alicia, oh well - Evelyn Champaign King couldn't speak either - but since she can write, she'll be OK in the future - Lenny, great sound - burned style, time for a change! Michael - It's why I don't push my daughter, lawyer, doctor, etc., would be fine, but I'm afraid she's got the bug bad! In general, the quality of American music has gone away - sad! :(

Archived