Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad sizes and specs for live stuff

Having the iPad Pro 12" loaded & backlit with all my charts is awesome... don't miss the days of bring several fat binders that would bunch up or blow away on a windy outdoor gig!!!

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

To follow the “touchscreen laptop” line, now that the original query has been solved… 

The existence of a product in no way proves its viability. 

If you stick a touchscreen on a Chromebook to make it better, it could be primarily because it sucks as a laptop, not because the combined product is a better concept. 

Remember that the whole reason iPad exists (and *still* dominates the market) was to create a new category that explicitly was NOT a laptop. Indeed, this very thread is about tablets replacing paper seamlessly onstage in ways that laptops simply cannot, touch screen or no. 

Allowing touch-designed iPad apps to run on macOS is, from a UI standpoint, a big mistake IMHO. 
The rationale here, to me, is most certainly NOT that a mixed interface is where they’re headed, but that they knew they were killing 1:1 Windows compatibility with the switch to Apple Silicon and needed a way to attract developers to replace the thousands of ported Windows apps with a plethora of easy iOS ports. 

I *could* well imagine a product that switches modes — from remote-pointer-operated Mac to touch-based direct manipulation when disconnected from the desk hub. But that’s quite the opposite of slapping a touchscreen on a laptop. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

21 hours ago, Mills Dude said:

So back on the topic, good choice.  Sure it's too much machine for just showing charts, but screen size is paramount in this application.  You could always start experimenting with using the iPad as an instrument also.   

Yes, I might start looking into instrument apps. Though honestly the Kurzweil is so damn flexible, I can do pretty much anything with it. When I first joined the PF tribute band, I bought Mainstream with the intention of using that, since so many other tribute bands (especially PF tribute bands) use it. But I found it easier to do it all on the Kurzweil. And I also like using dedicated hardware for sounds. 

My biggest issue on the Kurzweil has been remembering where I mapped the samples that I need to trigger at specific moments and an iPad could definitely help with that, but now I have the K2700 with the assignable touchpad matrix. It'll be fun to experiment with it, though.

I still haven't truly dug into my Forte, but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the VA sounds.  I owned a PC3 and the synths on the Forte sounds better, which might mean there was some kind of issue with my PC3 (there is a bit of noise when you play that goes away when you stop, so I think there is.)   As far as I know it's the same VA engine.  The moog-ish and poly synth sounds are good enough that I don't feel the need to supplement with the excellent Model D and other ios synths.

Organ is much better on the ipad with B-3X, but I got a Lester K as a foray into the world of pedals and for rock use at least it's quite a bit better than the Kurzweil leslies.  I didn't mind them that much until I tried the lester K and also compared to B-3x.   If I bring out my Summit instead of the MODX as a top keyboard, it will play the Kurzweil organs through this pedal and ipad will not be used; likewise if the Forte is my only board I'll use the pedal.  Essentially my MODX these days is not much more than a B-3X controller!  :D   It's a very capable keyboard and I'm better at programming it than I am the Kurzweil--but the Forte simply sounds better to me, most patches anyway.  

The other day I forgot to charge my ipad before the gig, and to make matters worse I forgot my charger that normally lives in my MODX case.  Double whammy, so I spent the whole gig watching the battery meter and charging between sets.  It's the kind of crap I don't like worrying about, to go along with wondering if an OS update is going to mess something up.

Interesting, I didn't know that.  I was struck by both the clarity and the "punch" I was hearing in the VA sounds.  Now I just need to get better at programming in VAST though my needs are relatively simple!

I have a very low-key gig Friday and I'll probably just bring the Forte, debating having the ipad hooked up into the 1/8" input from the headphone out.  I get the impression it's mainly intended as a way to hear external tracks and not really as a submixer, so I'll need to be careful with levels (which is set in a menu, doesn't have a dial).  I still haven't tried to see if the Key Largo will work as an interface for it, seems like some people have had success and others have not.  Long-term, if I really am committed still to ipad sound generation, I may consider an interface mounted to my pedalboard next to the KL (this assumes no MODX in my rig).  This would solve the no-headphone jack issue if I got a newer ipad, though I'd still need to make sure the new non-lightning ports aren't a problem.

If B-3X didn't sound so good it would help my decision-making!  I'd really like to get my Summit out to gigs again but don't want to bring three keyboards!   Mainly because it's hard enough to balance patches with one, let alone three.

Congrats, Jim!

I have a question..whats best way to get audio in and out of new iPads if not using a dedicated interface? I reall there is some sort of headphone/charger plug?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

8 hours ago, analogman1 said:

Congrats, Jim!

I have a question..whats best way to get audio in and out of new iPads if not using a dedicated interface? I reall there is some sort of headphone/charger plug?

I think you'll need a USB3 hub with a headphone out AND passthru charging. 

Cheers, Mike

On 5/1/2022 at 2:03 PM, HammondDave said:

Funny thing happened at the gig last night. We are all in our 60's and our sight and memories are fading... We all have iPads in front of us for lead sheets, etc. And our lead singer has one on a stand for lyrics.  A patron came up to my girlfriend last night and asked her if our lead singer was a substitute cause he was using a "teleprompter".  He does rely on it a lot. I use mine for difficult passages, but have memorized 90% of the songs, and since it is primarily running Korg Module, why not use it for lead sheets as well?  

Anyway, it does pull away from the audience/performer connection. This is especially important for the front-man/woman. So I see the contrarian view clearly.  

The problem isn't the iPad. The singer with his eyes glued to the iPad is probably the same guy who, a few years earlier, had his eyes glued to his stack of lyric sheets. If you don't have the words memorized, either you know how to perform with just "cheating glances" or you don't, regardless of the medium.

As for convergence, Apple recently got a patent whose paperwork implies an OS that looks like MacOS on an iPad. Take it with a grain of salt, this guy may be reading too much into things, but... 

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Speaking of overkill, how about the ASUS Zenbook 17 Fold OLED.  

Here is the website: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Zenbook/Zenbook-17-Fold-OLED-UX9702/

I don't think it's available yet, and I imagine it will be extremely expensive.  But looks pretty cool.

Here is a video review.  Note the reviewer says that Apple is rumored to be working on a 20" folding screen device.  

I get the feeling that Apple is always „rumoured to be working on“ whatever bonkers new gimmick anybody is trying to push to the market. 

1.) it’s probably true, because Apple probably has prototypes or concepts of everything. 
2.) Apple throws away 95% of the ideas they’ve worked on and never brings them to market, because they’re not viable, not sustainable, not good, or just plain stupid. 
3.) it’s a great way to legitimise your latest brainfart to claim that „Apple is rumoured to be working on the same thing“. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I received my iPad Pro last week and finally had time to get it up and running today. I opted for the magic keyboard and pencil as well. This is a lovely setup and will replace my MacBook on the road for sure. Thanks everyone! I’m very happy with the purchase.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jim Alfredson said:

I received my iPad Pro last week and finally had time to get it up and running today. I opted for the magic keyboard and pencil as well. This is a lovely setup and will replace my MacBook on the road for sure. Thanks everyone! I’m very happy with the purchase.

When you have a chance, try the 3D mapping software that's included... Now THAT is pretty awesome!  You can 3D Map the Tour Bus!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

4 minutes ago, Jim Alfredson said:

What’s a tour bus? 

Damn, you young Whipper Snappers!!!  You have not experienced Hell until you have experienced a tour bus. 

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

On 5/7/2022 at 7:10 AM, stoken6 said:

I think you'll need a USB3 hub with a headphone out AND passthru charging. 

Cheers, Mike

I'm using my iPad Pro 12" running Cubasis, which is fine for MIDI sequence playback. I'm not using it to control my Kurz PC4-7 yet, but I would like to switch to KeyStage. The catch is that I would have to either run the USB from the iPad to the PC4-7, or to an audio/MIDI interface. Right now I'm running the iPad USB to the USB input on my Yamaha MG10XU mixer instead of using the headphone jack. I bought this USB Hub but I had issues using it with the iPad. This was at home, connecting the iPad with my desktop, but MIDI clocks and a few other things hiccuped when using it. Does anyone have a simple solution for splitting the USB out of the iPad?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I used several hubs in testing with my 4th gen ipad and two keyboards.  One keyboard with midi only and the MODX handling midi and audio.  USB connections from both keyboards as well as from the CCK from the ipad.  No hiccups with either hub.  I tried a powered first, thinking it was needed, then tried an unpowered and it worked just as well.   I didn't do anything with clock though.  I was using Midiflow to route the two keyboards to each other and to the ipad, and also sending out program changes to everything when I selected a Midiflow patch.   I'd still like to pursue this but I don't really care for the way Midiflow manages its patches (hard to quickly navigate) so I might seek another app that can do all this.

I think if I buy any time soon it would probably be the lightning regular ipad.  It's barely small enough to fit on my MODX chosen spot and I know that lightning works well.   It would have more than enough power to run the apps I use, since the 4th gen one I use now does just fine.