Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland introduces Juno-X

Watching the above two videos, the keybeds are hinged differently - with the Juno short and right next to the fallboard, and the Jupiter longer and into the chassis. This is a pet peeve of mine. I'll reserve judgement until I play a Juno X, but I wish they had put their better action on it. 

22 hours ago, Stokely said:

Whoa...well, there will be some serious comparisons made then with the Fantom.  My main nopes with the Fantom(s) are wall wart and plastic on the -0, and price and weight for the big daddy.  (I haven't really ever used aftertouch live, which is what this board would be for in my case.)  This seems to hit a perfect middle ground.  But of course:  the sounds will matter!  :D 

You really need to get over your fear of the "plastic" on many of these boards.    All of my gigging boards except the Nautilus have been or are "plastic."   

Thru all my gigs and travels with them, I've had not one issue to to the construction.

My MODX, old MOFX, Komplete Kontrol S61, FA-08, Casio PX-5S, all plastic, no issues.   I've even dropped from carrying height my old FA-08.   Nothing broke.

I'm not going to lug around a Fantom 8 that;'s 30lbs heavier than my new Fantom-08

Wall wart?    Never an issue.    Besides, as a gigging musician, I have at least one extra for each board I own.  Sometimes a couple extra.  Roland Ps-5U.   Yamaha PS-150, and so forth.  I even have generic ones of the proper criteria should I want to externally power my Keylab or Komplete Kontrol.    I even have a spare Mac power supply

Just as I carry extra cables, a flashlight,  gaff tape, some basic tool, and Ibuprofen :)

As I've collected them over the years, I also have extra expression pedal and sustain pedals.

Being prepared has worked for me

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I'm not seeing anywhere in the specs what the polyphony is on this thing. I'm assuming since you can layer 4 programs and drums, it's got to be more than the Juno 106's 6 voices.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

re: plastic....It's not "fear", it's "dislike".   Nothing really to do with concern over it breaking. I recognize the advantages of plastic (weight and cost), but I'd prefer to have what I consider a better build quality and power supply so that I can use standard cables.  It's a better experience for me to play the higher end instruments.  That said, I'm not made of money  so most of my non-plastic keyboards have been used :)   Also, there's a limit to what I'll wrestle with as far as weight.   I have backups for most of my wall warts (for anything essential).

3 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

It’s nostalgia for the tracks it was used on. Lots of styles, but largely in dance, pop, club, house, electronic music where its reverence is greatest with others like the Jupiter-8.  Studio gear where you have all the time in the world to fiddle and tweak and create/recreate timbres and moods and vibes.  

Entirely impractical for most of KC where we spend most of our time talking about the best all round board that can cover everything we need for a varied set list.  Or the best digital piano, or best clone wheel of the season.  Or screw them all, I can do better with a MacBook Pro and MainStage. 

Yes,- but I wonder why a Juno-X is needed when a Jupiter-X already exists.

Compared to any Roland Jupiter synth,- may it be JP-8, JP-6, MKS-80 Super Jupiter or even DCO synths like a JX-10 or MKS-70 Super JX,- any Juno (6, 60, 106) synth was just only a cheap entry level machine.

I have no doubt you can do everything sonically you can do w/ the new Juno-X also w/ the Jupiter-X.

And I can do everything anyone can do w/ a vintage Juno also w/ a cheap CA DCO-106 softsynth.

I bet the softsynth sounds better.

☺️

A.C.

31 minutes ago, Al Coda said:

re softsynths: TAL U-NO LX mimics the Juno 60 incredibly well. It sounds at least as good if not better than the Zenology model for a fraction of the cost. The ipad version cost about 10 or 15 bucks. 

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

2 hours ago, Al Coda said:

$1999 vs. $2799

The Juno X comes at an opportune time in my life; I'm planning to spend more time away from the US, and this somehow ticks a lot of boxes as a traveling companion. No wall wart? Check. Aftertouch? Check. Audio interface? Check. Speakers? Check.

The last two things were never a factor for me, but now I can see how that comes in very handy when you are in a hotel room or AirBnB. Just a laptop and a Juno X, no need to bring an interface or speakers.

• Like 2

I see this as maybe taking more of the role of the previous Jupiter-50 in the lineup I guess.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Definitely wets my appetite , you have to admit it sounds pretty darn good with a ton of possibilities. Who cares how the sound is made weather its full analog or digital chips or whatever. I have a great sounding 106 already , a JX10 vecoven and a prophet 5/4 , so I’m not interested in this right now. My confusion is what’s the difference between this and the jupiter X other than asthetics ? 

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

2 hours ago, Al Coda said:

Compared to any Roland Jupiter synth,- may it be JP-8, JP-6, MKS-80 Super Jupiter or even DCO synths like a JX-10 or MKS-70 Super JX,- any Juno (6, 60, 106) synth was just only a cheap entry level machine.

I have no doubt you can do everything sonically you can do w/ the new Juno-X also w/ the Jupiter-X.

And I can do everything anyone can do w/ a vintage Juno also w/ a cheap CA DCO-106 softsynth.

☺️

A.C.

I don’t have any dog in this fight over Roland’s design choices and which camp they are trying to appease.   Just a decently entertained observer until I see something that targets my selfish desires and modest funds.  😂 

I like the design and build of this Juno-X.  I think it would be a fantastic controller in the studio for any software synth.  But it’s a very expensive controller.   If dropping the Zencore brains could bring it down to around $1k that would be interesting to me for home noodling.  This design is not terribly exciting to me for gigging even with the Zencore palette of sounds. I’m not in a synth centric band.   Focus is more on acoustic and electric pianos, organ, horns, strings, and synths where needed.  Now, if I were in an EDM band playing bass, pads and leads, using arps and sequences.   Ok, maybe the Juno-X is a good pick! 😊 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I’ve softened a bit. The videos certainly out-do the on-paper specs. I accept now that the hardware is obviously the selling point. Aluminium body, aftertouch and internal power supply are all big pluses - though expected at this price point.

For all of the people online (YouTube and Reddit, some Gearspace) complaining that it doesn’t have ACB or whatever…the truth is there are lots of people who are going to produce some wonderful music with this thing. 

I can get over the Zencore crossover stuff (Roland seem pretty adamant they aren’t going down the Korg/Behringer route by re-releasing actual analogue classics and the sooner we accept that the better - though I must say Behringer will happily eat up their share in the market for breakfast if it comes to it) but the two gripes for me are: 1) the keybed (if it really IS the same as the Fantom0 - you’d think at this price point and with the rest of the hardware they’d include at least the keybed found in the flagship Fantom) and 2) the price. This synth has a lot of competition at this price point…Hydrasynth Deluxe, Nord Wave 2, anything by DSI, Korg’s latest offerings, maybe the new Oberheim coming out…it needs to stand up to those things.

As it stands the potential ROMpler sounds are ironically the thing that sets it apart - not the hardware, not the features, not the sound. Every comparable product can deliver similar sonic results, but without the ROMpler capabilities. Will be interesting to see how it sells. 

• Like 2

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

7 hours ago, Bill H. said:

Watching the above two videos, the keybeds are hinged differently - with the Juno short and right next to the fallboard, and the Jupiter longer and into the chassis. This is a pet peeve of mine. I'll reserve judgement until I play a Juno X, but I wish they had put their better action on it. 

At $2k if it doesn’t have a proper Roland high end semi weight synth action on it, 🙄

• Like 1

I think the recent Roland releases are a matter of shifting your hips and your wallet a little more this way or that. Their big Fantom, the O series, Jupiter X/m, RD-88 and System 8 have all been varied ways of milking their IP. I'm amused to see how much Big Roland lives in my Cloud D-50. Spoiler alert: a LOT.

I personally like Roland's various RD pianos and to my ears, ZenCore should be good enough for anyone but a dolphin. The various debates amuse me, because Roland IS an aspect of synth sound development over time, same as a Prophet or Moog. I've rarely been without a Roland, how about you?

If I was in the market for hardware and we're looking at a more inviting keybed, I'd be into this over an RD-88. I like a controller with some added meat on it. It has stacks of the right jacks, so it seems like a good match for a computer. I also prefer the simpler front end, which increasingly mirrors my own.🤨🤓

"I like that rapper with the bullet in his nose!"
 "Yeah, Bulletnose! One sneeze and the whole place goes up!"
       ~ "King of the Hill"

I think one of the big appeals might be that it has all the rompler sounds.  For the synth-oriented player who sometimes still needs bread-and-butter rompler sounds and wants to use just one board, this may actually be the least expensive option. That, the metal build quality with internal power supply, and the nostalgic aesthetics are really what I think the board has to offer. Other than those three things, I'd prefer the System 8. Twice as many controls, less money, lighter weight, and the better ACB engine. (Well, there's also that pesky aftertouch absence.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

4 minutes ago, AnotherScott said:

(Well, there's also that pesky aftertouch absence.)

See, there IS always compromise with Roland. :D  Forever leaving something out so there's a reason to replace it.  ;)

Ha ha, as with all the others.  

I hadn't realized, it looks like King Korg is discontinued. That was the only lower-priced board I could think of with quality VA and a selection of basic b&b rompler sounds... but even then, it wasn't nearly as knobby as the Juno-X, and it's rompler sounds were not nearly as extensive. (Still a nice board, though.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

15 minutes ago, ElmerJFudd said:

See, there IS always compromise with Roland. :D  Forever leaving something out so there's a reason to replace it.  ;)

Ha ha, as with all the others.  

some might need 5 octaves for a gigging board also, System 8 comes up short in that respect, pun intended 

• Like 2
:nopity:

15 hours ago, TomKittel said:

re softsynths: TAL U-NO LX mimics the Juno 60 incredibly well. It sounds at least as good if not better than the Zenology model for a fraction of the cost. The ipad version cost about 10 or 15 bucks. 

Soundwise I like TAL JP-8,- but it can be a CPU hog depending on voicecount, play-mode and patch selected.

☺️

A.C.

6 minutes ago, Dane Petersen said:

My guitar player has recorded our demo 4 different time and still haven't seen it yet  it's been over 3 years. I don't think he knows what he is doing but I can't afford a studio release. He also tries to micro manage the band and take over. 

I think you're looking for the Complaints About Guitarists Department.  Two doors down on the left.  Please take a number and relax to the soundtrack of Van Halen on endless loop.

• Like 2

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

17 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

You really need to get over your fear of the "plastic" on many of these boards.    All of my gigging boards except the Nautilus have been or are "plastic."   

Thru all my gigs and travels with them, I've had not one issue to to the construction.

My MODX, old MOFX, Komplete Kontrol S61, FA-08, Casio PX-5S, all plastic, no issues.   I've even dropped from carrying height my old FA-08.   Nothing broke.

I'm not going to lug around a Fantom 8 that;'s 30lbs heavier than my new Fantom-08

Wall wart?    Never an issue.    Besides, as a gigging musician, I have at least one extra for each board I own.  Sometimes a couple extra.  Roland Ps-5U.   Yamaha PS-150, and so forth.  I even have generic ones of the proper criteria should I want to externally power my Keylab or Komplete Kontrol.    I even have a spare Mac power supply

Just as I carry extra cables, a flashlight,  gaff tape, some basic tool, and Ibuprofen :)

As I've collected them over the years, I also have extra expression pedal and sustain pedals.

Being prepared has worked for me

totally agree with you about all your comments regarding power supplies and plastic construction.  it was very refreshing reading your post as I am tired of people whining.  I quit playing out a couple of years ago since I refuse to play at what the pay scale is now. the last 11 years of  playing out, I averaged 5-6 nights a week that included some air travel.  never had any problems with power supplies and plastic construction.  took care of my equipment and always had back-ups.  another gripe by everyone is keyboard touch.  I have adapted to every keyboard I owned.  you can't play a Hammond like a piano or synth.   

18 minutes ago, lsj said:

another gripe by everyone is keyboard touch.  I have adapted to every keyboard I owned.  you can't play a Hammond like a piano or synth.   

Agreed that adaptation is always a viable option.  I think most people evaluate keyboard touch on a cost/weight/quality matrix.  I have often lived with an inferior action for the benefit of a more transportable keyboard.  We're still just speculating on the action in the Juno X, which is positioned both price and weight-wise sort of midway between Roland's lower and higher end products.   I personally would feel like an inferior action in a $2K keyboard, especially one that seems performance-oriented, would be a big dissapointment.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

after watching and enjoying a few videos yesterday I can answer a couple of questions that were posted here, based on statements from Andy from Roland.

poly is 256 (approx) when using zencore sounds, drops to 32 in total when using the models, for example juno-60 or 106. These are of course shared between the multitimbral parts. For example, when using 4 model tracks, you have 8 notes on each, which is adequate for any Juno emulation!  Roland apparently have some clever algorithms to handle note stealing.

kayboard is the same as the new fantom-0 series, albeit with aftertouch (don't think the 0 has that).

my thoughts, looks and sounds beautiful, the concept is wonderful, love that they stuffed a 5080 and RD piano in there.

i heard comparisons with original 106 and it sounds close enough. Wish it had the pattern sequencer in the style of JD-Xi. not clear to me on the capabilities or limitations of the step sequencer.

• Like 2
hang out with me at woody piano shack

14 minutes ago, konaboy said:

after watching and enjoying a few videos yesterday I can answer a couple of questions that were posted here, based on statements from Andy from Roland.

poly is 256 (approx) when using zencore sounds, drops to 32 in total when using the models, for example juno-60 or 106. These are of course shared between the multitimbral parts. For example, when using 4 model tracks, you have 8 notes on each, which is adequate for any Juno emulation!  Roland apparently have some clever algorithms to handle note stealing.

kayboard is the same as the new fantom-0 series, albeit with aftertouch (don't think the 0 has that).

my thoughts, looks and sounds beautiful, the concept is wonderful, love that they stuffed a 5080 and RD piano in there.

i heard comparisons with original 106 and it sounds close enough. Wish it had the pattern sequencer in the style of JD-Xi. not clear to me on the capabilities or limitations of the step sequencer.

Would love to see you with one of these Woody - you’ve already conquered Korg and Yamaha. Roland next? 😁

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

On 4/27/2022 at 3:15 PM, GotKeys said:

Kinda reminds me of GM in the 90s, to be honest.  They literally sold the same car under 5 different brand names with a slightly different fascia.

+1
There is another parallel to the auto business, more specifically to the used car business: would anyone accept if a car manufacturer prohibits selling along the extra features of a used car? So please remove the leather steering wheel and the sports seats when you sell your car. This is exactly what Roland is doing with it's license policy for model expansions. You are not allowed to transfer the expansions to the buyer if you sell the instrument. 

I am really surprised that hardly anyone complains about it. But maybe that's because people only notice down the road when they want to sell their Roland toy in favor of the next hot sequel.

LIFE IS SHORT, GO GET THE GEAR YOU WANT ;-)

13 minutes ago, TomKittel said:

This is exactly what Roland is doing with it's license policy for model expansions. You are not allowed to transfer the expansions to the buyer if you sell the instrument. 

I am really surprised that hardly anyone complains about it. But maybe that's because people only notice down the road when they want to sell their Roland toy in favor of the next hot sequel.

or people may accept it the same way they accept that, when you sell your iPad or laptop, you're not generally allowed to give all the paid-for software on it to the new owner.