Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland introduces Juno-X

A scaled down Jupiter X...

spacer.png

This brings back the original Juno/Jupiter relationship in terms of their nomenclature. 

I wonder if they intend to keep such two different models named "Juno" in the line, or if the Juno DS will be replaced by something else. (Maybe a Fantom-006 and Fantom-008, but any Bond fan of course would have to go for the Fantom-007.)

Anyway... it's a fun-looking synth. Higher end build than I'd have expected for a lower end Jupiter in 2022 (though also pricier than the Xm at $2k). 25.62 lbs, internal power supply. And yes, aftertouch!

• Like 2

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Any former owner of a vintage Juno (I had a 106) will probably feel GAS just looking at it.  I see a lot to like in this package.  I'm assuming it has the action of the Jupiter X.

• Like 1

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

So if Roland can make this for $2k and with (presumably) a metal build (judging by the weight) and an internal power supply, why can't they give us an internal power supply on the Fantom-0?  I'd pay a $100 extra to know I have a power cable that can be replaced in any Walmart in the US.

All in all, it's a nice looking keyboard, and I have a feeling we might see it on the next A-ha tour if Magne's past rigs are anything to go buy.

image.png.5335e2a22c4a6d728a6f253c096ab7af.png

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, my voice

This looks like a winner. We are spoiled for choice at this price range.

Looks like a great performance synth, since you can bring so many tones with you and make some easy tweaks on the fly.

If I want something knobbier, there's the Summit and Prophet Rev2. 

I make software noises.

46 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

So if Roland can make this for $2k and with (presumably) a metal build (judging by the weight) and an internal power supply, why can't they give us an internal power supply on the Fantom-0?  I'd pay a $100 extra to know I have a power cable that can be replaced in any Walmart in the US.

And I'd pay $100+ more for aftertouch on the Fantom-0! But to paraphrase Mick, we can't always get what we want...

Who knows what the price premium is, though. Maybe if you took the metal build, internal power supply, and (presumably) better keys with AT out of the Juno-X and gave it what the Fantom-06 has instead, it could have been, say, $1400 instead of $2000.

But also, maybe the Fantom-0 wouldn't sell as well, if putting that stuff in meant, not just a higher price, but also that it would weigh nearly twice as much.

It's interesting that they took one approach with the Fantom-0 derivative from the Fantom (going with lightest weight and biggest percentage price differential, about 55% cheaper 61-to-61) and an opposite approach with the Juno-X derivative from the Jupiter X (going with highest build quality and a much smaller price differential of about 30% savings). It's also interesting that they decided to make a "lower end Jupiter X" that is still more expensive and heavier than the Jupiter Xm, an "extra form factor" in the line that doesn't exist on the Fantom side.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Just now, AnotherScott said:

And I'd pay $100+ more for aftertouch on the Fantom-0! But to paraphrase Mick, we can't always get what we want...

Who knows what the price premium is, though. Maybe if you took the metal build, internal power supply, and (presumably) better keys with AT out of the Juno-X and gave it what the Fantom-06 has instead, it could have been, say, $1400 instead of $2000.

But also, maybe the Fantom-0 wouldn't sell as well, if putting that stuff in meant, not just a higher price, but also that it would weigh nearly twice as much.

It's interesting that they took one approach with the Fantom-0 derivative from the Fantom (going with lightest weight and biggest percentage price differential, about 55% cheaper 61-to-61) and an opposite approach with the Juno-X derivative from the Jupiter X (going with highest build quality and a much smaller price differential of about 30% savings). It's also interesting that they decided to make a "lower end Jupiter X" that is still more expensive and heavier than the Jupiter Xm, an "extra form factor" in the line that doesn't exist on the Fantom side.

I don't mind the plastic build of the Fantom-0, I just wish it had an internal power supply.  A wall wart is a big no-no for me on a gigging board, I never want to be in the position where I forget it at home or it breaks because companies can only seem to make wall wart power supplies with the worst plastic and flimsiest cables and connectors that are small and fragile.  With a regular IEC connection, I feel much more comfortable that it will not break and I can find a replacement anywhere in the US.

• Like 2

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, my voice

Thoughts… 

the styling is nostalgic, and I like. 

I’m going to assume it’s not analogue.  Though at $2k it surely could be. One can get a classic 106 for about $2.5k-3k.  OSC, CPU Board, Screen are all replaceable. 

Assuming it’s digital are they using the boutique JU-06 engine or the engine in the Roland Cloud Juno? 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

the leak has been currently sealed, this webpage taken down

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoX--roland-juno-by-61-key-synthesizer

Roland Juno-X 61-key Synthesizer | Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com › store › detail › JunoX--rola...

10 hours ago — For the extra-motivated aural adventurer, the Juno-X's built-in mic input imbues you with the full power of the Vocoder Model, allowing you to fuse any X synth ...

$1,999.99 · ‎Preorder

:nopity:

15 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

I don't mind the plastic build of the Fantom-0, I just wish it had an internal power supply. 

Rarely if ever have I seen an internal power supply on a board with a plastic chassis, I wonder if it's related to shielding requirements and such.

15 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

A wall wart is a big no-no for me on a gigging board, I never want to be in the position where I forget it at home

You could try velcro'ing the "brick" part of the power supply to the top of the Fantom-0, that would address forgetting it. Then all you need is the common figure-8 power cord, which is one of the things I always have extras for. Keep one in your car...

9 minutes ago, GotKeys said:

My best guess is that this will have a similar architecture to the Jupiter-X, so will probably be based upon the Roland Cloud/ZenCore expansions

Yes... in fact the first reference to this I saw was a post on gearspace recently, where someone posted a screenshot showing a mysterious "Juno-X" reference on Roland Cloud, which subsequently disappeared. So it's another of the ZEN-Core family.

2 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

the leak has been currently sealed, this webpage taken down

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JunoX--roland-juno-by-61-key-synthesizer

Roland Juno-X 61-key Synthesizer | Sweetwater

https://www.sweetwater.com › store › detail › JunoX--rola...

10 hours ago — For the extra-motivated aural adventurer, the Juno-X's built-in mic input imbues you with the full power of the Vocoder Model, allowing you to fuse any X synth ...

$1,999.99 · ‎Preorder

D31990C2-AB77-4B76-A2F4-379ECBFC7B2A.jpeg.bb1fbc7c1937ed933736226ea7a9ef7f.jpeg

vastly less expensive Juno. 
you will need a clarinet though.  

I'm confused (or maybe just uneducated) about Roland's business model at the moment.

I thought that they were kind of moving towards a "subscribe to/buy any of our high quality synth models to use in the keyboard/form factor of your choosing."

So . . . why is this interesting at all? Say I've got another Zen-core-compatible Roland product. Is there any value here for me? Are Roland hardware boards at this point just well-integrated controllers with swappable soft-synths under the covers?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BluMunk said:

I'm confused (or maybe just uneducated) about Roland's business model at the moment.

I thought that they were kind of moving towards a "subscribe to/buy any of our high quality synth models to use in the keyboard/form factor of your choosing."

So . . . why is this interesting at all? Say I've got another Zen-core-compatible Roland product. Is there any value here for me? Are Roland hardware boards at this point just well-integrated controllers with swappable soft-synths under the covers?

That's how lots of folks will react to this, and it's a valid point of view.  The form factor and build quality of this Juno X is what's appealing to me even if it's just the same filling as anything else you can buy from Roland.

I probably won't get one, but the image of it definitely tugs at my heartstrings because I loved my 106, and aside from that it seems like a pretty nice (but pricey) axe.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

17 minutes ago, BluMunk said:

Is this keyboard also zencore enabled and therefore can run their other engines?  If so, the form factor of it as a synth controller may be attractive.  Better build and action, inclusion of AT and plenty of knobs and faders in addition to all the other controllers. 

Aside from that gearnews link, most sites (including mine) are adhering to the embargo. All the details will be official in a little less than 24 hours....

56 minutes ago, zephonic said:

Oh FFS, I returned the Juno DS76 for a Fantom 07 which hasn’t even arrived yet, and now I’m gonna have to send that back for this? My Sweetwater rep is gonna hate me.

I mean, it has aftertouch...

Brotha Z, you may want to stick with the Fantom 07 especially if you ever have to use samples. 😎

• Like 1

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Is this "only" a synth?  Meaning, no bread-n-butter pianos, rhodes, organ etc?  

My perfect Roland synth would essentially be this--with the build and power supply--with the sounds of the Fantom, and strip out the sequencer and any controls for it.  Take "daw control" with it!

20 minutes ago, ProfD said:

Brotha Z, you may want to stick with the Fantom 07 especially if you ever have to use samples. 😎

Yeah, but...aftertouch...on a Roland.

That's like coming home for me.

9 minutes ago, Stokely said:

Is this "only" a synth?  Meaning, no bread-n-butter pianos, rhodes, organ etc?  

My perfect Roland synth would essentially be this--with the build and power supply--with the sounds of the Fantom, and strip out the sequencer and any controls for it.  Take "daw control" with it!

Gearnews says it'll have more than 4000 tones, so I think it's safe to assume their rompler stuff is in there.

Whoa...well, there will be some serious comparisons made then with the Fantom.  My main nopes with the Fantom(s) are wall wart and plastic on the -0, and price and weight for the big daddy.  (I haven't really ever used aftertouch live, which is what this board would be for in my case.)  This seems to hit a perfect middle ground.  But of course:  the sounds will matter!  :D 

DeepMind 12 is less than 1/3 the price and is pure analog, while this isn’t even ACB (analog circuit behavior) but just the “mass-market” Zen-core digital engine. I’m not saying it looks like a bad instrument though. I just don’t see what it brings besides the name. 

P.S. I see it has multiple models, including a piano and XV, so probably a lot of PCM sounds. So, it’s more than a DeepMind. Although I don’t understand how it relates to its bigger (?) brother, the Jupiter X. 

• Like 1

Looks like Roland has made a clone of Behringer Deepmind...

just kidding :D

Talking more seriously... 

I wonder if this is meant to replace Juno-DS or not? I think not. But Jupiter-X kind has replaced older Jupiter 50 and 80 boards. Looks like in several last years Roland changed the general idea in designing their boards. Less screens and menu diving, more hands-on controls, directly inspired by original analogue synths. 

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

I imagine what it doesn't have is the tonewheel organ.   No drawbars or dedicated controls in any case. I'm currently planning to have any second board trigger my Forte's organ (running through Lester K), with the ipad's B-3X available as an alternative and backup, so probably not a show-stopper.   Same would go for piano, if I was using this for piano it means the Forte has taken a dive or something.