Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Midi 5 pin on/off - kill switch suggestion or work around

I am looking for a simple switch or device so that l don’t have to plug and unplug the midi cable when I want to play patches on my Nautilus 61 with my Yamaha CP 4. Exactly like the product linked below that no longer seems available or perhaps is not available in Canada.  Any advice would be appreciated ...

https://www.midi-up.com/products/midi-kill-switch/

I normally just memorize getting quickly to the MIDI system menu and changing the MIDI channel and making sure the receiving board is not set to Omni. You could do that on either board if one is much easier than the other to get to the MIDI settings.

Is it a gig situation? I usually create per-song setups where the boards are set up to communicate MIDI in some songs but not in others. There might be a send switch or a receive switch in those boards. Specifically the Nautilus I suppose is advanced enough to have that kind of option configurable per song.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. SP6 at church.

Simple to make or get made.

I did this in the early days of midi. Having come from a Korg Trident which could split and layer with flip of a switch i wanted that ability with later keyboards i replaced it with. But it now took 2 midi keyboards.

I had a guy make up a simple switch box with 3 din sockets on one side and 3 din sockets on the other side and 3 switches on top

One for Midi In to Midi out and visa versa i had a third that i probably thought would be for thru (which i never used)  a 5 pin switch on each run for each wire between each socket.

I used it live to switch between 2 midi keyboards allowing me to layer both or just one while playing the other. It sort of gave me a split layer setup with 2 keyboards that couldn't by themselves with flip.of switch.

Sounded great layering an analogue with a DX7 by simply hitting both switches to on so their midi flowed..

Or being able to act like a split / layer by switching one off.  Say the top board was layered with both boards sounds but the bottom board only played its own sound.

Used this till i got a Kurzweil k1000 which could zone. Then my favourite zoner the Quadrasynth.

There were no midi experts back then so when I came up with this idea Im pretty sure I went to an electronics guy who'd never heard of midi. He used proprietary din sockets. Or if he was an amp/music tech he hadnt dealt with keyboards.

I was soldering many RC cars then but i wasnt sure i could solder so many small wires in a confined space.

20220425_191501.jpg

I've still got one of these in a closet. Every now and then I bring it out, and it still works as well as it did when I got it in the 80's  ;)

spacer.png

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom-08| Arturia Keylab 61MK2 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

This combo of the Nautilus 61 over the CP 4 will be for gigging/live use. Our first show (classic rock 5 piece) is coming up in June and have been working on my patches as we are refining our set list. In the past I was always just a few bread and butter sounds kind of player but the Korg has really opened up my horizons. I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks 🙂

Can you program silent patches to be selected in the Nautilus when you don't want it to sound? Then you don't have to buy or make anything.

-dj

• Like 1

iMac i7 11.6

Studio One 5.5

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre

19 hours ago, marczellm said:

Is it a gig situation? I usually create per-song setups where the boards are set up to communicate MIDI in some songs but not in others. There might be a send switch or a receive switch in those boards. Specifically the Nautilus I suppose is advanced enough to have that kind of option configurable per song.

That's a good point. I have never used boards that are that sophisticated for set lists but I would think there should be some kind of workaround there in the Nautilus. Even if there's no MIDI receive switch, you should be able to do something equivalent by how you assign MIDI channels to the patches of a particular song or how they are mixed.

I've built several of these over the years based on an old great 80's article by Jim Miller in Keyboard mag.  I've modified them to use a footswitch, as well as an Led. This was the one I happen to have handy.  It's based on simply breaking the connection on #5. - not sure if anything with clock needs the other pins.  But for what you seek it works great. 

I barely know which end of a soldering iron to hold, so can attest these are super simple and cheap. (like under $20.00).   Two DIN/Midi jacks, some wire, and a jack or switch.   There are sadly no more Radio Shacks, but you can find project boxes and leds at other sources.   I also use a bunch of the Midi Solutions stuff, but this such a simple thing; no need to kill a fly with a sledgehammer.    Please forgive my bad drawing, it's scanned from my 90s notes.  I'll see if I can find Jim's post. 

Best,

C

Midi Switch Switchee CC.jpg

IMG_4416.jpg

IMG_4417.jpg

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

I wanted this very thing a number of years ago, and someone on this board pointed out that that an MOTU FastLane MIDI interface could serve this function. I happened to have one lying around, and once II realized it could do the job, I used it happily for a long time. They're no longer made, but as of this most there are plenty available on eBay for under $30.

18 hours ago, DJKeys said:

Can you program silent patches to be selected in the Nautilus when you don't want it to sound? Then you don't have to buy or make anything.

-dj

The OP is a similar issue to one I have with my Summit going to my Kurzweil Forte.  The midi implementations of both boards make it a bit difficult to have it work sometimes but not all the times.  I'm thinking of using "dummy" silent patches on both boards (one on the summit when it is playing the Kurzweil organ, and one on the Forte that is linked to the Summit's transmit channel.  The Forte wants to respond on every channel when in Program mode and I should be able to default a silent patch to that channel).

Or, use some kind of hardware box or switch as discussed here.  Including an Ipad, which is yet another alternative.  You can potentially run both keyboards' midi outs to a hub, run the hub to an ipad, then have the ios app control the flow.  I got this working with my MODX and Summit but haven't tried to gig it as it feels a bit fiddly.