Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Usb Midi to 5 pin midi

I know there was a discussion on this some time ago but I cannot find it using the search function. If a keyboard only has usb midi and you want to connect it directly to another keyboard (without a computer), what are your options? Is there any cable you can get that's USB to midi?? Can someone point me to the previous thread on this? Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Nicky said:

I know there was a discussion on this some time ago but I cannot find it using the search function. If a keyboard only has usb midi and you want to connect it directly to another keyboard (without a computer), what are your options? Is there any cable you can get that's USB to midi?? Can someone point me to the previous thread on this? Thanks!

You need a USB midi host to 5 pin box.  Is your USB Midi keyboard class compliant?  Or uses proprietary drivers?  Because these boxes require class compliance. 

https://miditech.de/en/portfolio/usb-midi-host/

https://kentonuk.com/product/midi-usb-host-mk3/

If your dealer doesn’t have in stock, grab one off Amazon, eBay or Reverb.  

• Thanks 1

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

12 hours ago, MPN21 said:

The Kenton or MIDItech models doesn't support USB hub  but this one does;

https://compasflamenco.com/midi-c-3/usb-host-midi-router-uhmr-p-8.html 

Ooo, I'll one up your compasflamenco with a conductive labs MRCC!

"Massive MIDI I/O: 11 inputs and 17 outputs, including 5 PIN DINs, 3.5MM MIDI jacks in both flavors, 4 USB host ports, and a USB MIDI class compliant client (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) connection with 12 MIDI ports.  With automatic merging, MIDI master clock with CV clock out, filtering and MIDI effects, and MIDI message monitoring. Our customers say they were waiting all of their life for this!"

https://conductivelabs.com/product/mrcc-midi-router-control-center/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

8 hours ago, rogs said:

I bought one of these when my Kenton went walkabout : https://www.doremidi.cn/h-pd-2.html?fromColId=104

Works well - and cheaper than replacing the Kenton!

There are even lower priced USB midi hosts out there.   Then again none of them including the Doremi supports powered USB hub for multiple USB midi devices.  I'd spend a bit more to get one that works with a powered USB hub as they are more and more keyboards and midi devices without 5 pin midi.

23 hours ago, ElmerJFudd said:

Ooo, I'll one up your compasflamenco with a conductive labs MRCC!

"Massive MIDI I/O: 11 inputs and 17 outputs, including 5 PIN DINs, 3.5MM MIDI jacks in both flavors, 4 USB host ports, and a USB MIDI class compliant client (PC, Mac, tablet, etc.) connection with 12 MIDI ports.  With automatic merging, MIDI master clock with CV clock out, filtering and MIDI effects, and MIDI message monitoring. Our customers say they were waiting all of their life for this!"

https://conductivelabs.com/product/mrcc-midi-router-control-center/

By the time you think you have every MIDi gadget, there's always something else;the MRCC is serious stuff!

• Like 1

If all you need is a USB to DIN cable, I've had very good luck with the ESI MIDIMATE eX. I tested it by running poly aftertouch into the MIDI In via DIN, turning off local control at the keyboard. running USB to the computer, opening Studio One, setting input to Input Monitor, and sending data back into the keyboard's 5-pin MIDI DIN. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to choke.

For more sophisticated functionality and networking, check out the BomeBox MIDI Hub. I reviewed it on craiganderton.org, it's pretty impressive, and costs $199. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Anderton said:

If all you need is a USB to DIN cable, I've had very good luck with the ESI MIDIMATE eX. I tested it by running poly aftertouch into the MIDI In via DIN, turning off local control at the keyboard. running USB to the computer, opening Studio One, setting input to Input Monitor, and sending data back into the keyboard's 5-pin MIDI DIN. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get it to choke.

For more sophisticated functionality and networking, check out the BomeBox MIDI Hub. I reviewed it on craiganderton.org, it's pretty impressive, and costs $199. Hope this helps.

Craig @Anderton you know this, but I'll add for anyone who might not realise: the MIDIMATE is designed for use with a computer (a host). The OP wanted something that would work "computerless":

On 4/23/2022 at 1:57 AM, Nicky said:

If a keyboard only has usb midi and you want to connect it directly to another keyboard (without a computer), what are your options?

Cheers, Mike.

3 hours ago, stoken6 said:

Craig @Anderton you know this, but I'll add for anyone who might not realise: the MIDIMATE is designed for use with a computer (a host). The OP wanted something that would work "computerless":

Ooooops. Of course! I guess I just can't think "keyboards" without "computer" entering into my mind.

However, I think the BomeBox would still work fine. Although more limited than the MRCC, it costs less.