Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GearLab!!!!!!

I love the GearLab forum. 😎

It would be so cool to be able to really get that bad boy cranking, with lots of hardware and software being reviewed interactively.

I think having the opportunity to communicate with someone who’s putting a piece of gear through it’s paces is so cool - especially given the ability to get a response in audio or video form.

What do you guys think about what we’re doing with it?  

Any suggestions as to how we can make it better?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

There is a thread currently on Keyboard Corner about which piece of gear exceeds expectations. 

That's awesome, mini reviews by actual owners. Should be a "wont' ever sink to the bottom of the page" thread on Gear Page. 

Just sayin'...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Maybe more awareness that people can review stuff there? I'm not sure what qualifies as review-worthy, and I'm not sure what the criteria are for review content. I'm not sure that everyone can do deep-dive reviews into every function of, say, the Fantom, when every update significantly changes functionality (and not everyone is going to even use all the features). That thread has been dead for a year. But then again maybe that's not needed? Some clarification might help in that regard.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

1 hour ago, marino said:

As I said in a PM to dB, I think that it just needs more exposition. A direct link (with description) from KC could help.

+1.  I don't remember to check the Gearlab page but often engage with it when reminded about it here on KC.

9 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

I love the GearLab forum. 😎

Any suggestions as to how we can make it better?

dB

i love the forum too!

I apologize for not getting in touch with you or the other gatekeepers before posting my PSR-SX600 review.   I would suggest a more prominent notice of this expectation.

Also I would like to be able to edit my post, as I discover inaccuracies or mistakes in my review.

Thanks!

Here's a question - that sidebar that I currently have running Trending Topics on MPN started as a GearLab only box...but I had it at the bottom of the page.  Should I try putting it back to just Gearlab?  KC topics tend to dominate the Trending Topics version.

Gov: no problem at all, brother!

Re: editing - that's the beauty of interactive reviews - you can just post a correction!  If it's something that really needs to be changed way after the fact in an earlier post, just hit me up - I'll help.  

dB

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Here's a question - that sidebar that I currently have running Trending Topics on MPN started as a GearLab only box...but I had it at the bottom of the page.  Should I try putting it back to just Gearlab?  KC topics tend to dominate the Trending Topics version.

What about placing GearLab up there with Shameless Plugs and Garage Sale - even if it's not strictly a KC subforum? It's mainly about 'our' stuff anyway.
So it's there permanently, for everyone to see. I might be wrong, but I feel that the bottom of the page isn't the best place to draw attention...  :)  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Bryce said:

The problem there is that it excludes the other forums.  I'm not sure i want a different one for guitars and another for recording...

Um, in what way it would esclude the other forums? What I'm envisioning is just a link. Would that prevent the other forums from doing the same if they like?

I mean, I see no reason in making GearLab an 'official' KC subforum. I would just place the *link* in the most visible spot. No need to review the forum hierarchy.

You can’t put a link where the sub forums are. :idk:

Do you see the link and related box I posted a few hours ago titled HAPPENING IN THE GEARLAB that lists the top five Gearlab topics?  Much better than just a simple link, I’d say.

It’s at the top off the sidebar on the Topics menu for every forum.  In KC, it’s right next to the Subforums. :poke:

dB

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

You can’t put a link where the sub forums are. :idk:

Ooooohhkay.... sorry. I didn't get this technicality.

3 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Do you see the link and related box I posted a few hours ago titled HAPPENING IN THE GEARLAB that lists the top five Gearlab topics?  Much better than just a simple link, I’d say.

It’s at the top off the sidebar on the Topics menu for every forum.  In KC, it’s right next to the Subforums. :poke:

Yes, *now* I've seen it. Looks perfect. I was only making periodical quick visits to KC in the midst of a lot of other things, and I had simply missed it.
Thank you!

The Gearlab is excellent. love Phil's work on the Mac Studio one at present. I still don't understand why more forumites don't have the main forum page bookmarked rather than KC - it's so easy to see all the forums and see what's new :idk:

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

I wonder how many folks know that clicking the MPN logo in the upper left hand corner jumps to the main forum page.

dB

... And suddenly all the KC'ers immediately went to try clicking on the MPN logo... 

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/