Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tried something new…

ZOCGY5U.jpg

Not the sautéed zucchini, onions & tomatoes…

rVVf5GT.jpg

Not the pan full of NY Strips bring sautéed in butter & EVOO…

PdYs4nU.jpg

THIS: a creamy blue cheese dipping sauce!

aci9JxL.jpg

Plated.

This was my first attempt at mimicking the creamy blue cheese dipping sauce that comes with the bacon-wrapped flatiron appetizer at Boston’s Pizza (a Canadian chain spreading through the USA).  It’s such a good dipping sauce that 2 people I know who don’t like blue cheeses in general demand their own ramekins when we order this appetizer.

This time I used half a stick of unsalted butter, a half container of heavy whipping cream, 2/3 of a wedge of Blue Dauvergne cheese, and ground black pepper.  The only complaint: not thick enough.  Next time, I’m using the whole cheese wedge.

• Like 1

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Blue cheese on steak can be awesome. California Pizza Kitchen - of all places - used to serve a broiled ribeye finished with "Blue Cheese Butter" which was superb. I talked an employee into showing me the secret insider recipe, but it started out with something like "mix softened butter with CPK ingredient #xxx pinot fleur de sel, add in CPK ingredient #yyy seasoning packet ... and so forth - not enough info. There are a couple of knock-offs on the Web but they don't really sound like the real thing. I hadn't heard pf the dipping sauce method before, but it sounds and looks good.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

2 hours ago, Dave Bryce said:

Love the concept…but I’m not the biggest bleu cheese fan.

Now you’ve got me thinking about what cheese I could sub. 🤔😁

dB

Roquefort, it is a bleu cheese made from sheeps milk, originally from France. I prefer it to bleu cheese, seems like it's got more flavor. 

If I am eating at a restaurant that serves salads and the wait staff asks for my preference for salad dressing, I ALWAYS say "Roquefort please" and they ALWAYS say "Is Bleu Cheese OK?" For some mundane, pathetic reason, this cracks me up every time. 🤣

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

On 4/18/2022 at 8:42 AM, Dave Bryce said:

Love the concept…but I’m not the biggest bleu cheese fan.

Now you’ve got me thinking about what cheese I could sub. 🤔😁

dB

I hear and believe you, but I wasn’t kidding when I said two people who don’t like blue cheese love Boston Pizza’s blue cheese sauce enough they get their own ramekins of it.

That said, if I were a non-blue lover like yourself trying to find a substitute, I’d look first at smoked versions of cheeses I know I like.  And the smokier the better.  That smoke will go a l9g way towards filling the role the blue mold does- giving a contrasting, non-dairy flavor to the sauce’s body of cream and butter.

Right now, the smokiest non-blue cheese we currently have in our fridge is a wedge of Yancey’s Fancy Smoked Gouda.  Boar’s Head Smoked Gruyere or Hickory Farms’ smoked cheddar might be good, too.

My next guess would be a beer or wine infused cheese.  Cahill Irish Porter cheese would be a good option.  Merlot Bellavitano (or possibly Espresso Bellavitano) could work as well.

This site might help you in your search:

https://cheese.com

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/