Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things between our keys and speakers


Recommended Posts

I’ve been watching many videos about studio assembly and studio tours and as GAS hits again I’m starting to think about which rack modules can/is used to be placed into my chain to “add value” to the mix… The immediate idea is something like a PuigTec (*) that apparently is kept on 100% of the time as part of the mix chain, even without not having any major settings adding flavor to the sound.  

(*) not that I have this much budget, just as an example…

Anyone using this as a permanent part of your chain? Hardware or plugin as part of the DAW output?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



It's an input device but I LOVE the tone of the Focusrite ISA Two, which is a single rack space unit with two ISA preamps. XLR for microphone, TRS for Line in and TS for instrument DI (Guitar or Bass or even Keys). There are some nice second order harmonics that make the tones cut through without being obnoxious and the high pass filter is variable, nice feature especially for band situations where it may be best to let the bass and kick drum be the bottom end and stay out of it. 

 

If this one went away I'd be inclined to get another one. Not cheap but built for the long haul and not insanely expensive if you buy used. I think I paid around $600 for mine, well worth it. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As long as we are talking about racks, etc.  I recently purchased X32 Rack for the band, and have realized it's perhaps the ultimate rack unit.

 

Any number of inputs: keys, FOH, ambience.  Any number of outputs: IEMs, FOH, etc.  Do anything you'd like to do in the digital domain between the two.

 

In addition to all sorts of routing options, there's the Behringer soft effects rack.  Not as good as modern VSTs, but very, very useful in context.  

 

My current chain is graphic EQ, initial compression, chorus/reverb, multiband compression -- plus a hard limiter.

 

The plate verb is very nice,  but jeez, everyone should hear their clonewheel through a multiband compressor at least once.

 

In addition to being a nice keyboard rack, you also can mix and record any live band you happen to be playing with.

  • Like 2

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, cphollis said:

As long as we are talking about racks, etc.  I recently purchased X32 Rack for the band, and have realized it's perhaps the ultimate rack unit.

 

Any number of inputs: keys, FOH, ambience.  Any number of outputs: IEMs, FOH, etc.  Do anything you'd like to do in the digital domain between the two.

 

In addition to all sorts of routing options, there's the Behringer soft effects rack.  Not as good as modern VSTs, but very, very useful in context.  

 

My current chain is graphic EQ, initial compression, chorus/reverb, multiband compression -- plus a hard limiter.

 

The plate verb is very nice,  but jeez, everyone should hear their clonewheel through a multiband compressor at least once.

 

In addition to being a nice keyboard rack, you also can mix and record any live band you happen to be playing with.

Yup, I’m using a Behringer (Midas) XR18, and am very pleased, highly recommend.  Super clean and can do just about anything I need/want to do.

Portable Rig: Yamaha MOXF8 (used mostly for acoustic piano); (2) Yamaha DXR-10 powered speakers
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, dalpozlead said:

 

Anyone using this as a permanent part of your chain? Hardware or plugin as part of the DAW output?

 

Emphasis added.

 

There are a number of paid SSL emulations which are pretty good, but the free The LogicPro / Mainstage Pultec emulation (They call it "Tube EQ") adds some character even without dialing in any eq. With an eq setting called "Full Body Piano" you can get to that mellow 1960s cover song tone. It’s not the same as hardware but it helps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, cphollis said:

The plate verb is very nice,  but jeez, everyone should hear their clonewheel through a multiband compressor at least once.

 

Can you go into any more detail about how you use the multiband compressor to improve the sound of a clonewheel organ?  I am curious to try it out and to see how other people are getting results.  Which frequency ranges are you compressing?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mythias said:

 

Can you go into any more detail about how you use the multiband compressor to improve the sound of a clonewheel organ?  I am curious to try it out and to see how other people are getting results.  Which frequency ranges are you compressing?

It's not hard, really.  My Nord organs can screech at the high end, and disappear into the murk at the low end.  With a multi-band compressor, the perceived loudness is much more even from end to end.  Also, you can capture some of the classic tube compression sound -- without a tube emulation.   This helps to smooth out some of the percussion.   The effect can be heard on any 3 or more band multipressor, and obviously benefits from seasoning to taste.  I do like the way it sounds.

 

Edit: I should also point out that a multipressor makes many dense sounds sound good: piano, clav, horn parts and much more.  You'll see :)

  • Like 1

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great, thanks.  I have TDR Nova dynamic EQ / Multiband compressor to try out in my VST chain as long as it doesn't introduce too much latency.  I will check it out.  It would make a nice addition to my global effects chain.  I have used it on bass guitar recordings to great benefit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/17/2022 at 11:31 PM, KuruPrionz said:

It's an input device but I LOVE the tone of the Focusrite ISA Two, which is a single rack space unit with two ISA preamps. XLR for microphone, TRS for Line in and TS for instrument DI (Guitar or Bass or even Keys). There are some nice second order harmonics that make the tones cut through without being obnoxious and the high pass filter is variable, nice feature especially for band situations where it may be best to let the bass and kick drum be the bottom end and stay out of it. 

 

If this one went away I'd be inclined to get another one. Not cheap but built for the long haul and not insanely expensive if you buy used. I think I paid around $600 for mine, well worth it. 

I will add that each channel has a send and return and a switch on the front for each channel to bypass or activate that loop. 

I've used that with a compressor and am learning a Lexicon MPX 550 which is an older but still valid 24 bit multi effects unit that I may engage there as well. 

Tech 21 Q strip is not a rackmount but it has great EQ and a low noise floor. The Para Drive DI is nice too, not as versatile in EQ but adds a Sansamp in the event some harmonic distortion/compression is wanted. 

 

Signal chains, they have infinite potential and are fun!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...