Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Viscount Legend vs Crumar Mojo ('suitacse')


Recommended Posts

Please if anyone uses the Crumar and/or Viscount Legend ,any info appreciated: I'm an intermediate player,not professional level. If anyone has experience of either of these Organs can you please help me choose which one might suit me best? I own a Hammond XK3c, trying to get an easier rig to play live & travel to rehearsals with.

2nd question is the Hammond XK3c I learnt to play on, has only 1 set of drawbars for each manual. The Crumar is the same, while the Viscount Legend has 2 sets of drawbars for EACH manual. Since I've never had 2 sets of drawbars for each manual am I:
1)missing out not have both sets of drawbars
2) does it limit you a huge amount to have only 1 set of drawbars in your opinion?

I'd be so grateful for any help available.

thank you,

Niall.
https://www.thomann.de/ie/crumar_mojo_suitcase.htm

 

https://www.thomann.de/ie/viscount_legend_live_black_signature.htm

Link to comment
Share on other sites



I'm not mainly a Hammond player, so take my input with a few grains of salt.  From my understanding, the second set of drawbars allows you to dial up a second sound and quickly and easily switch sounds on each manual.  Unless you need to switch between 4 different drawbar settings quickly, the second set of drawbars for each manual are not as necessary (still might be nice to have).  I would go with whichever clone sounds better to you, I wouldn't worry too much about the extra drawbars.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll chime in but there are way more experienced players of those boards on the forum. I had the xk3c with lower manual a few years ago. I really liked it but found it too heavy to gig with so I did a trade for the SK2. I only had one set of drawbars on that and didn’t find it too limiting. 
 

I later picked up an original Mojo dual manual (previous model to the one you’ve listed). The extra set of drawbars was useful depending on the tune I was playing. It did lack the extra voices of the SK but the sound was very nice. I didn’t gel with the OS tho and it rebooted itself on several occasions. I never felt happy gigging with it. It only happened rarely but enough to give me doubts. The newer one maybe more stable and I know there are a lot of happy campers here who use the single manual mojo. 
 

Finally I picked up the legend live last year. Again it’s nice to have extra drawbars especially as you can only save 2 presets per manual (I think) so it’s nice to have  4 presets in lieu of the preset keys that the bigger Legend has. I find the legend live has a more authentic layout like a real Hammond and it’s working out really well for me. 
 

I tend to stick with almost the same setting on the lower manual so a lot of the time the second set for the lower manual is defunct. So I’ve worked with one set and managed, worked with two sets and managed and again with four sets and again it’s fine. I don’t think it’s a game changer for me at any rate how many I have. 
 

I note you have the Joey D signature model for the legend listed. The original version is about €200-250 cheaper unless you’ve got your heart set on the black version?

Yamaha MODX8, Legend Live.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When it comes to clones, especially by smaller companies, reliability is a huge issue!! I highly recommend doing the research. I'm not comfortable making that call for you, but seriously, make sure the company makes a reliable product, not only one that doesn't break down during a gig, but also one that you won't have to be without for extended periods of time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been playing KeyB/Viscount for about 10 years now. Their instruments are rock solid and inspiring to play. The layout with two sets of drawbars is a more authentic experience, akin to a real console than a clone with only one set.

 

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Viscount Legend Live.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, kwyn said:

When it comes to clones, especially by smaller companies, reliability is a huge issue!! I highly recommend doing the research. I'm not comfortable making that call for you, but seriously, make sure the company makes a reliable product, not only one that doesn't break down during a gig, but also one that you won't have to be without for extended periods of time

True I had two different Mojos shit the bed during gigs.

  • Like 2

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

 

 

noblevibes.com

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/12/2022 at 2:33 PM, Niall01 said:


2nd question is the Hammond XK3c I learnt to play on, has only 1 set of drawbars for each manual. The Crumar is the same, while the Viscount Legend has 2 sets of drawbars for EACH manual. Since I've never had 2 sets of drawbars for each manual am I:
1)missing out not have both sets of drawbars
2) does it limit you a huge amount to have only 1 set of drawbars in your opinion?
 

 

I see it as a nice-to-have but not essential. On a vintage Hammond, the extra set of drawbars is very useful because it's the only way to instantly switch a manual to a different sound/registration mid-song (ignoring the hardwired presets). But on a digital organ, you can accomplish the same thing with programmable drawbar presets. The only downside is that your physical drawbars are now out of sync with the registration actually being heard. This is only a big deal if you want to also be able to smoothly manipulate the drawbars after a quick registration switch. Think about what kinds of music you play or want to play and how important you think that will really be. I own a real A-100 and I'm fine with programmable drawbar presets on digital organs as long as they switch instantly and seamlessly without disrupting whatever the sound engine is currently playing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/13/2022 at 5:44 PM, funkyhammond said:

But on a digital organ, you can accomplish the same thing with programmable drawbar presets. 

Not exactly the same thing because your programmed preset has to be programmed in advance and that programmed preset is the same every time you switch to it,  where as on a hammond you can set the 'other' set of drawbars to whatever you want right before the change so its more on the fly (realtime).  subtle difference in discussion but more significant during actual playing.  Of course if the gig isnt hammond centric it may not matter.  When I played some jazz stuff back in the day the 2nd set came in handy, not so much anymore.  one of the advantages of my Voce V5+ that i always liked is that it offered all 5 sets of drawbars, with 4 of them being controlled virtually via midi cc calls (if your controllers had 9 sliders, which mine do) and the roll of the mod wheel to switch between the two sets of drawbars. My two cents.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

https://dyinbreedband.wixsite.com/dyinbreedband/home

facebook.com/smokingunsrock

facebook.com/acoustaxx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Delaware Dave said:

Not exactly the same thing because your programmed preset has to be programmed in advance and that programmed preset is the same every time you switch to it,  where as on a hammond you can set the 'other' set of drawbars to whatever you want right before the change so its more on the fly (realtime).  subtle difference in discussion but more significant during actual playing.  Of course if the gig isnt hammond centric it may not matter.  When I played some jazz stuff back in the day the 2nd set came in handy, not so much anymore.  one of the advantages of my Voce V5+ that i always liked is that it offered all 5 sets of drawbars, with 4 of them being controlled virtually via midi cc calls (if your controllers had 9 sliders, which mine do) and the roll of the mod wheel to switch between the two sets of drawbars. My two cents.

 

I agree it's not exactly the same thing. How much does the difference matter is the question. I think it also depends on the keyboard and how it works. Given the choice here of the Mojo, I guess you are right. I had to look it up. To store a physical drawbar setting into one of the drawbar presets, you have to hold a button down for two seconds. Useless for on-the-fly live playing. On my Nord C1, there are 3 dedicated drawbar preset buttons per manual with little LEDs showing which one of the three is active. They are saved with the patch but when a patch is called up, they also become live adjustable presets. Whichever preset button is lit automatically remembers any drawbar adjustments made so you can quickly switch between 3 adjustable registrations. You just can't adjust one in the background before a change. A huge bonus I discovered later was that pressing a preset button on the C1 also sends out all 9 drawbar values of that preset over MIDI, so that live feature even works when using the C1 as a controller. Which is great now that I just use it as a controller at home for organ VSTs.


Anyway, given the limitation of the Mojo and its presets, the Legend Live is definitely better in that department with its four sets of drawbars. Still, I personally would be making my decision more based on other factors. But everything else being more-or-less equal, the Legend Live has the edge for its controls. Some people have complained about the action of the Legend/Legend Live being on the stiff side but others have said that it more resembles what a new Hammond would have felt like instead of a well worn one that people are used to now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I would agree with the comments regarding clone wheels’ reliability and the availability of parts: I have recently found out that Crumar will not sell or supply parts for any of their instruments out of the warranty period. I have a Mojo 61 with a fault and effectively they told me it can’t be fixed as they will not supply parts and the nearest service centre is in Italy and I’m in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146295639427037/permalink/1031315194258406/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Welcome, Niall!

 

I had both Mojo Classic and Legend Live to A/B. 

I liked the layout of the Legend, but it is wider than the Mojo, and size is an issue for me.

I preferred the Mojo keybed action. 

I liked the input / ouput possibilities on the Legend.

You can get them to sound alike, but I am not that experienced to tell if one is closer to "an" original Hammond; the Hammonds I played always sounded different.

For me, the overdrive section on the Legend sucked.

Eventually I felt way more "connected" to the Mojo, so I kept it an returned the Legend. If I were to play a real Leslie all the time, maybe I would have gone Legend.

 

Yes, I read about quality complaints, especially here in this forum and on facebook. I also heard from people who never had issues.

 

And yes, I also had some trouble in the beginning; some kind of static discharge maybe. Crumar Support answered very fast and politely and suggested trying different pedals. Eventually I sent it back to the dealer to let them check out if something was wrong. It took 2 weeks (fair amount of time in covid lockdown, I think). They could not find anything but renewed the cables. Up to now it didn't let me down (knock on wood).

 

I am emphazising on the fast support because our new member Bydon (welcome!) seemed to have major problems with the crumar support, as he made it very prominent upon facebook. Maybe check out where Crumar has his nearest authorized dealer, if you are worried about sending in your instrument for repairs or check ups.

 

By the way, I am telling you no news when I say, you will always find more criticism / reports of problems of a product on the internet than reports of happy owners - might be, that the happy owners are playing their instrument in the meantime ;-).

 

Cheers!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

As a legend Live owner here in the U.K. Viscount have indicated a new 9 contact Legend Soul model is being launched at NAMM 2020 3rd-6th June this year. They also stated that Viscount will update/upgrade the existing Legend by KeyB line with key improvements in the rotary sim, chorus/vibrato, and several other modeling aspects.

Just thought it might be of interest when making a final decision.

Chris

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, chelsea4023 said:

Hi,

As a legend Live owner here in the U.K. Viscount have indicated a new 9 contact Legend Soul model is being launched at NAMM 2020 3rd-6th June this year. They also stated that Viscount will update/upgrade the existing Legend by KeyB line with key improvements in the rotary sim, chorus/vibrato, and several other modeling aspects.

Just thought it might be of interest when making a final decision.

Chris

👍  https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/182345-viscount-legend-soul/#comment-2898761

 

____________________________________
Rod

victoria bc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ImproKeys said:

By the way, I am telling you no news when I say, you will always find more criticism / reports of problems of a product on the internet than reports of happy owners - might be, that the happy owners are playing their instrument in the meantime ;-).

💯

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Bydon said:

I would agree with the comments regarding clone wheels’ reliability and the availability of parts: I have recently found out that Crumar will not sell or supply parts for any of their instruments out of the warranty period. I have a Mojo 61 with a fault and effectively they told me it can’t be fixed as they will not supply parts and the nearest service centre is in Italy and I’m in the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146295639427037/permalink/1031315194258406/

Not true. If you take your mojo to an approved service center they will supply the parts. 

  • Like 1
'55 and '59 B3's, Leslies 147, 122, 21H, Motif XS7, Mellotrons M300 and M400, Wurlitzer 200, Gibson G101, Vox Continental, Mojo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Most manufacturers ( Roland, etc. ) have adopted the policy to not sell parts to end users.  There have been too many instances of botched repairs by end users resulting in small problems turning into big ones.  I'm a servicing depot for most major brands and I support this strategy.  Nothing I hate more than a customer showing up at my shop with a 'basket case' repair.  I'm sure Bydon can find a service shop in UK to repair his Mojo. The problem is that he wants to do it himself.  The Crumar folks are very reasonable and helpful but you can't expect much cooperation if you slag them on facebook.  Just sayin......

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is Crumar Mojo service available on the West Coast BTW through McIntosh Audio in Salem Oregon.

 I have done a minor amounts of work with Michael Mc Intosh as sort of a go between between him and Crumar players. 

 

He is also authorized service for Viscount, HX3 and Hammond Suzuki. His rates are great and we love to help you players and get to know you.

 

PM me Hammond  Dave....I will put you in touch. Haven't asked Michael if I can post contact info yet.

 

I have Mojo module and Viscount Legend Live by the way. I m partial to Viscount sound by a smidgeon but I will say that Crumar is making great strides in their build quality. It's nit picky but to me Viscount did the right thing with percussion volume in the upper octave.... but if you use fast decay its not an issue. Also Viscount has an ultra cool BC sample that just knocks me out. Mojo has better overdrive  and the CV is a matter of preference... both are great.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...