Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Question for RD-2000 experts

richforman

Long story short,  can anyone tell me the steps to have an RD-2000 tenant m transmit MIDI  only on channel 15?

Back story: I'm doing a gig tonight where the backline guys have provided an RD which I'm happy to use as an external controller to control my Kronos. Basically I only want the Kronos to receive on 15; the combi's are all set up such that the timbre (part) I want to be controlled by the external board listens on channel 15. I have gotten to work fine with many other boards serving as that external controller, but the RD has me stumped.  I even did some research before I got here for sound check and thought I was ready,  but things aren't working as I expect. I went into Menu, Program Edit I think,  then Zone Edit, assigned tx ch on Zone 1 to 15, for good measure I set the kbd range on all the other zones to A0-A0, presumably out of the range of the physical keyboard so that birthing would come in on any other channel.  I set Zone 1's  dest to Out1 (midi cable is in Out1). Pressed the top row button above the zone fader to light it up red, indicating,  I understand,  that I want it to send external.  (I don't care if it also plays internal too; I am not taking any audio from the RD). But whatever I do, when I play the RD, the Kronos responds as if it's receiving data on all the channels,  or maybe it's the Global Midi channel,  but my xhannel 15 part does *not* respond. 

Is it that all these settings I'm changing apply on the level of a Program and I have to Write it first and then make sure that program is selected when I play? I didn't think I'd that till after adorned check,  lol.

Help! What do I do?

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't own one but have some experience with other Rolands.

Here's some relevant lines from the Parameter Guide that might help you:

For each zone, the RD-2000 lets you select either the internal MIDI sound generator (internal: red LED lit) or an external MIDI sound generator (external: green LED lit).

For a zone whose INT/EXT select button is lit (green), playing the keyboard will transmit those MIDI messages from MIDI OUT. For a zone whose button is unlit, playing the keyboard will not transmit MIDI messages.

Parameter Guide, start at page 18, "Using the RD-2000 as a Master Keyboard"

You say you did your research, I hope this was useful, if not, sorry.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Thanks Marc, I got it worked out with the help of a couple youtube videos and a very helpful respondent when I asked the question in a Facebook group.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

For posterity what turned out to be the issue?

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.