Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black screen blues

If it is one of the touchbar macbook pros, it could be that the cable that powers the backlight has frayed and needs to be replaced

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

MBP year is 2016 and yes I’ve checked the cords. All that appears is the touchbar and the little icons next to it but the screen itself is as black as midnight.
I was looking it up didn’t see anything about the battery going bad but I’ll definitely check that. I’m thinking maybe it’s time for a new one…

You don't know you're in the dark until you're in the light.

3 minutes ago, rickzjamm said:

MBP year is 2016 and yes I’ve checked the cords. All that appears is the touchbar and the little icons next to it but the screen itself is as black as midnight.
I was looking it up didn’t see anything about the battery going bad but I’ll definitely check that. I’m thinking maybe it’s time for a new one…

Try shining a flashlight at the screen and see if you see anything.  It is very common on the 2016-2019 MacBook Pros for the screen cable inside the hinge to become frayed over time from opening and closing the laptop and the wire that powers the backlight inverter in the display may become severed.  If you shine a flashlight (the one on your phone will work for this) at the screen and you can see the login screen or your desktop, than the backlight cable is most likely the culprit.  It was a common problem on these laptops, although I'm unsure if Apple will cover this under warranty/recall given that you have a 2016 model.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

Let's hope the geeks don't whack you with a super-expensive fix. I would have attached an external monitor first - if that worked then at least you'd know the video circuitry is OK and a bad internal cable more likely. Resetting PRAM is also a hail-mary move in this situation. I'm the type to attempt a DIY fix. I had a screen go bad on an older MacBook Pro, got a replacement top case on Ebay for something like $60 (I forget the exact amount), and used iFixit.com to guide me throught the replacement.

• Like 1

I was told by the geek (seem like a pretty authentic nice guy) that the ribbon connection, whatever that is was corrupted and they were not authorized to repair it, it would have to go to Apple. He looked it up and showed me that it would cost almost $700 to fix. He did the flashlight thing to check and he said he could see something but very faint. 
I was thinking of getting a new MacBook Pro anyway so I opted to get a new one and will definitely look into a DIY job on the old one. 
situations like this make me wanna not do MS and just go with hardware.

47 minutes ago, rickzjamm said:

I was told by the geek (seem like a pretty authentic nice guy) that the ribbon connection, whatever that is was corrupted and they were not authorized to repair it, it would have to go to Apple.

Bullshit. This is most likely the well-documented and extensively commented-upon "flexgate" issue. I remembered hearing about this, so with my jogged memory and a 30-second google search I found it. Of course Apple will not help you out – unless you have the 13" 2016 model, then I believe you're covered. Sounds like you were looking for an excuse to get a new Mac though!

If this is indeed your issue, there are probably some independent shops that will repair this for far less than $700. I know nothing of this place but here is where you can read about this phenomenon and possibly get it fixed: https://www.fixxo.in/blog/flexgate-macbook-pro-display-backlight-issue

There is also the famous Rossmann repair shop in New York. https://www.rossmanngroup.com/macbook-repair-nyc/.

21 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Bullshit.

I know nothing of this place but here is where you can read about this phenomenon and possibly get it fixed: https://www.fixxo.in/blog/flexgate-macbook-pro-display-backlight-issue

Shite:  I love reading these sites about fixing products from any of the self proclaimed "masters of the universe" manufacturers.

I have never owned a laptop / notebook thingy but i love reading such repair stuff as it may help when repairing keyboards.

I had a Chroma Polaris with cable problems similar.

Yes, I was considering a new Mac anyway but definitely want to salvage what I already have. I didn’t know about the “flexgate” phenomena but will definitely look into having it repaired through one of the sources you suggested.