Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Banning small combustion engines for yard work

Oak, your post got me, right in a sore spot...

How much anually do we consume with small, 2 cycle powered yard implements?

They provide noise polution a plenty.

Most of them have people powered alternates.

Most people would benefit from the exercise offered.

Why do we have to listen to chain saw in a neighbor hood?

Why can't I buy a GOOD efficient person powered mower with a cut large enough to make it useful?

Huh? TELL ME!!

AHHHHHH!

(haha)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thankfully, the government is going to start regulating low mowers because of the polution. Lawn Mower companies are now making moves to clean them up before the regulations hit so the FED's take it easy on them. I wouldn't mind an old fashion non motor mower to cut my grass, but you really can't buy one. There are electric ones, but electric companies are still using coal as the major means of generating the power. Can't win.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by deanmass:

Oak, your post got me, right in a sore spot...

How much anually do we consume with small, 2 cycle powered yard implements?

They provide noise polution a plenty.

Most of them have people powered alternates.

Most people would benefit from the exercise offered.

Why do we have to listen to chain saw in a neighbor hood?

Why can't I buy a GOOD efficient person powered mower with a cut large enough to make it useful?

Huh? TELL ME!!

AHHHHHH!

(haha)

You mean me, Dak???

I can't help you there. I know what you're talkig about but I also understand the advantages of the powered equipment. In my case, it came at an importune time for me. Most times the lawn mowers and etc start at a reasonable hour in the morning and quit early, or start late in the afternoon and quit at a reasonable time. This happend to interfere with my recording plans.

MikeT156, here in SoCal there are already restrictions on small engines including catalytic converters being spec'd for them. No golf course can run internal combustion golf cars unless they have already been in use previously. No new units are allowed. Many communities don't allow charcoal barbeques and some won't allow even gas fired barbeques. I would expect in a few years to have wood burning fireplaces on the outs with fake logs and natural gas being the only fireplace configuration.

It's getting tougher here all the time.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Tell you what. Get a single model of gun banned first based on "health or public safety concerns", and I'll switch to an electric weed whacker that just tickles the vegetation in my backyard.

"For instance" is not proof.

Hey I mow my lawn every week with a Black and Decker cordless electric mower. Works GREAT - choosing it was a no brainer.

It's way quieter than those gas burnin' beasts, which cause more pollution in a 1/2 hour of lawn mowing than driving an average modern car 125 miles!

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

The trouble with gas mowers is that, over the past 20 years, they have been getting bigger and bigger! 3hp was considered a decent lawnmower 20 years ago , but now many are 6hp ! Now because the mowers are so big, you need to make them self propelled because they are too heavy to push, which makes them even less efficient !

Dan

http://musicinit.com/pvideos.html

My yard's too big for me to use a push mower. If gas powered mowers are outlawed, the best thing for me to do is to get a goat. It would provide perpetual lawn maintainence, the waste might be good for the flowers and my wife is crazy about feta cheese. Might not be a bad idea, considering the city allows the ownership.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

They do still make push mowers that are ground driven. You don't want them to be very wide unless your a power lifter because of the increase in resistance. Also much lighter then the old days. They are fine as long as your lawn is half an acre or less. As for weed eaters the could old "idiot sticks" are still available and it's great for your golf swing.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

Originally posted by jpmiii:

They do still make push mowers that are ground driven. You don't want them to be very wide unless your a power lifter because of the increase in resistance. Also much lighter then the old days. They are fine as long as your lawn is half an acre or less. As for weed eaters the could old "idiot sticks" are still available and it's great for your golf swing.

I've used a couple. One thing I found with both (perhaps the blades needed sharpening) but it seemed that you had to go over the grass a few times to get a nice even cut...and forget it if you went away for a couple weeks' vacation.

As it is, I've got a bit over two acres I mow. Takes me quite a while to do it...whether sitting on the lawn tractor, pushing the push mower (which I use more than most people with lawns that size), weedwhacking...whatever. I make no apologies.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey Daklander:

I spent a quite a bit of time in southern California some years back, environmental regulations are a necessary evil there. I remember the first time I drove out of the LA basin and down to San Diego to visit some friends. On my way back to LA, I remember driving up the San Diego Freeway when the LA Basin first appeared in my sight. WOW, I couldn't believe all the smog! I thought, damn, I'm going to be breathing that air shortly. Double damn. But we do need the polution restrictions everywhere. It all backs up eventually. I don't mind paying more for a lower polution product or a more energy efficient item if it really does help the environment. I own an SUV because I live in the Allegheny Mountains in a rural area, and the roads get nasty in the winter. Snow, sleet, freezing rain, muddy back roads in warm weather months, so 4 wheel drive is a necessary evil. But I consolidate my shopping trips and park it when I don't HAVE to go anywhere. No more "Sunday drives" for the hell of it, now "Sunday hikes" and bicycle rides instead. Better for me, and the environment.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I love it when people start proposing that cordless electric (rechargeable) appliances replace everything.

The contents of those rechargeable batteries is EXTREMELY toxic and cause more pollution to produce and dispose of than that gas lawnmower will ever put out in it's lifetime...

Originally posted by timobrien:

I love it when people start proposing that cordless electric (rechargeable) appliances replace everything.

The contents of those rechargeable batteries is EXTREMELY toxic and cause more pollution to produce and dispose of than that gas lawnmower will ever put out in it's lifetime...

Ohhhh....no....say it isn't so...... :cry:

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Originally posted by whitefang:

My yard's too big for me to use a push mower. If gas powered mowers are outlawed, the best thing for me to do is to get a goat. It would provide perpetual lawn maintainence, the waste might be good for the flowers and my wife is crazy about feta cheese. Might not be a bad idea, considering the city allows the ownership.

Whitefang

Goats are evil. My stepdad has goats. They are bigger than you think they are, smarter than you think they are, and quite aggressive.

I am currently using a small Bolens push gas mower. I used to use a manual push mower and it was great exercise but it sucked at cutting grass. Also had to pay every year to get it sharpened.

"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Has anybody tried retrofitting a four-cycle engine to burn any of the alt. fuels? IT'd be an interesting project, plus procuring enough of the fuel to operate a lawnmower shouldn't be a problem...

Why not natural gas? You could probably run a mower on LP quite effectively...

...think funky thoughts... :freak:

I ran a mower on methanol and home-brew experimental methanol/gasoline blends for a while, but methanol runs quite a bit hotter than gas, and with the usual natural-air cooling of most mowers, there's not enough heat dissipation, so you'll eventually end up cooking the engine oil and seizing the engine.

It was really fun while it lasted, and it cut grass really well.

Goats are cool because you can wrestle with them, as long as they're fairly small. Too big, and they'll kick your ass.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

I think it's totally stupid to insist on maintaining a lawn. Wasteful, ignorant, silly. Another cultural remnant of the past that has long outlived its usefulness.

If you replace all that grass with perennial flowers, shrubs and trees selected and arranged for minimal maintenance, mowing becomes a memory. And you get a wonderfully refreshing place to go recharge while taking breaks from recording.

I've used a couple. One thing I found with both (perhaps the blades needed sharpening) but it seemed that you had to go over the grass a few times to get a nice even cut...and forget it if you went away for a couple weeks' vacation.

As it is, I've got a bit over two acres I mow. Takes me quite a while to do it...whether sitting on the lawn tractor, pushing the push mower (which I use more than most people with lawns that size), weedwhacking...whatever. I make no apologies.[/QB]

Yes, you do have to have them sharpened at least once a year (which you need to do with all mowers) and you have to know how to adjust them on a regular basis which isn't hard to learn but does take some practice.

Also your right on about getting behind with your mowing you may still want to keep a powered mower around for the spring and such occasions but the less gas you burn the better.

"I never would have seen it, if I didn't already believe it" Unknown

http://www.SongCritic.com

Originally posted by daklander:

Many communities don't allow charcoal barbeques and some won't allow even gas fired barbeques.
If you think gun owners can go ballistic, JUST TRY and take away my barbeque! :mad::mad::mad:

Wow, Dak, I can't believe that! :eek:

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by Botch.:

Originally posted by daklander:

Many communities don't allow charcoal barbeques and some won't allow even gas fired barbeques.
If you think gun owners can go ballistic, JUST TRY and take away my barbeque! :mad::mad::mad:

Wow, Dak, I can't believe that! :eek:

Sad but true... :cry:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by 9 millionZeke SmithBees:

I ran a mower on methanol and home-brew experimental methanol/gasoline blends for a while, but methanol runs quite a bit hotter than gas, and with the usual natural-air cooling of most mowers, there's not enough heat dissipation, so you'll eventually end up cooking the engine oil and seizing the engine.

It was really fun while it lasted, and it cut grass really well.

Goats are cool because you can wrestle with them, as long as they're fairly small. Too big, and they'll kick your ass.

Hey Zeke, did you ever try Ethanol as a small engine fuel? I wonder if that runs as hot as Methanol.

{The difference between ethanol and methanol ?

These two fuel alcohols are made differently and have different properties. Ethanol is produced mainly from grains or other sugar-containing crops. Currently, all methanol is made from natural gas, although it can also be made from coal, oil, woody biomass, sewage, and municipal and agricultural wastes.}

I think it's totally stupid to insist on maintaining a lawn. Wasteful, ignorant, silly. Another cultural remnant of the past that has long outlived its usefulness.

If you replace all that grass with perennial flowers, shrubs and trees selected and arranged for minimal maintenance, mowing becomes a memory. And you get a wonderfully refreshing place to go recharge while taking breaks from recording.

Thats fine if you live in a cubicle. I grew up on a 10 acre plot 5 of which was grass. Until, I pissed my dad off and made a 2 acre BMX / motor cycle / snowmobile track :D . I dare anyone of you to mow five acres with a hand powered grass clipper. :rolleyes:

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

My step mother has done just that. My parent have five acres of botanical gardens, decks, decorative rock scapes, and a swimming pool. That's a REALLY nice route to go if you have the money to do so; it's NOT cheap. I do a little more each year, but still, an acre yard is a lot of area to try to scape out. Of course, then you have to stay on top of weeding the gardens.

I'll echo in on what Tedster said about lawns easily getting out of control in the midwest. The climate here in the midwest provides a healthy, fertile, and humid enough environment to where the grass grows like crazy; especially beginning in the spring and continuing on through the middle of August where the weather tends to dry out and get more arid. By the beginning to middle of September, the weather moistens up again and the grass begins to grow heartily until the first frost.

In many parts of California, the weather is arid and the growth rate of grass is not nearly as rapid as what it is in more humid climates. Droughts are more common, and forest fires are a big threat.

As far as our government stepping in to control lawn maintenance equipment, I think it's a little out of place considering the fact that they were throwing bombs around like crazy in Iraq. It seems that the pollution from explosives would be far more damaging than fumes emitted from lawn equipment. Why aren't they thinking about the environment when it comes to war???

Of course, California has old Arnie setting in as governor out there... Police State Law is well under way.

:mad: Ok now you touched on another problem.

Californians shouldn't be allowed to steal water from the Colorado river so they can even have a lawn, to use power equipment on. Nor the great lakes, which they're going to eventually. If you want nice grass, pay more taxes so you guys can build a desalination facility. :idea: Then you buy your alternative powered lawn equipment.

Together all sing their different songs in union - the Uni-verse.

My Current Project

Ani

The climate here in the midwest provides a healthy, fertile, and humid enough environment to where the grass grows like crazy; especially beginning in the spring and continuing on through the middle of August where the weather tends to dry out and get more arid. By the beginning to middle of September, the weather moistens up again and the grass begins to grow heartily until the first frost.

In many parts of California, the weather is arid and the growth rate of grass is not nearly as rapid as what it is in more humid climates. Droughts are more common, and forest fires are a big threat.

Why'd this sound like a Home & Garden channel narrative? :D:P

Wewus, I never tried ethanol in the mower. Perhaps I'm worried that I'd comsume more of it than the mower would.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

Archived