Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Periodic check of vintage madness

On 4/29/2022 at 9:11 AM, CyberGene said:

I kept complaining on the ASM Facebook page and the unbelievable happened! ASM acknowledged they were aware of the problem (which affects all of the original keyboards, not sure if it was fixed for later batches through...) and released a firmware update that not only fixed the problem but also introduced some menu settings for finer control of velocity curves, etc.

This is the type of thing that will make me a lifelong loyal customer. I don't care if there are problems as long as the company admits it and is working towards a reasonable solution. Now I'm going to have to look into the Hydrasynth a little more seriously.

• Like 1

"For instance" is not proof.

• 2 months later...

I don't know how this sits in "vintage madness", but an interesting local listing for an Emulator II. Signed by Stephen Schwartz, which is likely not a huge draw for synth collectors (for those who don't know, Schwartz is most notably the composer for the Broadway shows Godspell, Wicked, and Pippin).

In all of these posts, I don't think people are picking up on a major reason for the high asking prices (madness).  It's the rarity, and that drives collectors, and prices vary with the market, just like you see on Antiques Roadshow.

It's not that people want to play them, it's that people want to own them.

It's always been this way in books, watches, etc, and more recently in calculators and working vintage computer models.

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3