Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting Opinion Piece About the Return to Live Performance

It's about what's going on in England, but I like the way it underscores the importance of live performance. Always good to see an opinion piece that's about the arts instead of politics.

Reminds of the Ral Donner song "You Don't Know What Tou've Got (until you lose it)."

Do you think there will be a renewed appreciation of live performance when it comes back in force here?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anderton said:

Do you think there will be a renewed appreciation of live performance when it comes back in force here?

Unabashedly, yes.

Now...whether that translates economically to musicians in good and expected ways, is a distinct and different question. But as far as renewed appreciation, in an age of increasing use of tracks and other support devices, I can anecdotally report that audiences notice, appreciate, and take the time to comment that live musicians performing live music without any tech "safety nets" is a very welcome thing.

2 hours ago, timwat said:

...in an age of increasing use of tracks and other support devices, I can anecdotally report that audiences notice, appreciate, and take the time to comment that live musicians performing live music without any tech "safety nets" is a very welcome thing.

That's really good to hear. I also find it a lot more fun as a player.

We had 14 gigs last month and 12 plus a couple of 'ifs' this month.

We use backing tracks which I make myself. Mrs. Notes is a great singer, and she plays rhythm guitar and synth. I'm a decent singer and I play sax, wind synth, flute and lead guitar on stage. Off-stage I add drums, bass and keyboards to make my tracks.

The audiences seem extra-enthusiastic, it seems like after an extended period of no live entertainment, they are champing at the bit for some pre-COVID fun.

Now, 14 gigs a month is still a little light for the season (which ends at the end of April), but it's a heck of a lot better than it was last year.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Fall of 2020 was when I started going to live shows again - these were all outdoor concerts.   There was a special vibe around that time - people just being glad to get out of their homes and see other people in person again.  

Now it's spring of 2022.  Mask mandates are pretty much gone in this area.  I don't see anyone who still wants to wear a mask being harassed.  So there's a sense of normalcy at live shows.  Most of my friends are still reluctant to go to a show if it's indoors and they think it's going to be crowded.  Some though are undeterred.

I'm still not booking indoor gigs. There are enough outdoor ones to keep me working.

I'm actually starting to prefer the outdoor gigs.

Unless it's raining. We're undercover and bring a tarp if the wind is blowing too hard, but in those rare instances where we start sunny and a t-storm happens, it still makes my a bit apprehensive.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

On 4/3/2022 at 2:39 PM, Anderton said:

I sure hope so. I'm in the late planning stages of establishing a performance space which will be a semi-home for my band's musical efforts as well as a wide variety of other performances. The "lockdowns" provided me with an opportunity to get a lot of the preliminaries done. If I had started working on it before Society allowed itself to be put on hold my project would have failed. It's still an uncertainty, like everything is, I guess, but much more favorable now than if I had tried to get it going last year at this time. People may rediscover how much they've been missing live shows. Just think - there are some people out there who have not yet experienced performers in a live setting who interact with real audiences. Lots of potential becoming clear if we as a people assert our freedoms.

The space will be somewhere in New Mexico convenient to Albuquerque and Santa Fe. The intention is to split the difference distance-wise. There are a couple-three maybe four facilities that could work, but we're not committed to any one of them just yet. I'll post updates as we move forward...

Please do! I lived in Santa Fe for 10 years, and I do get back there on occasion. One of my associates, Brian Hardgroove from Public Enemy, lives in Santa Fe and we often work on projects together. Right now, I'm mixing a song he did with various luminaries for a Ukraine rally in June, in Washington DC. Do keep me posted!! Good luck.

• Like 1

I've been doing Facebook Live streams for the last two years.
My first "in person" gig will be in two weeks. Fortunately it's an outdoor gig.

When I started doing online shows, it was SO weird to finish a song and ... nothing. No claps, no cheers, no public to see their reaction... just me. Now once I finish a song, I read the live comments, say something about the song, how good it is or how fun or anything -I feel like a Radio DJ-. It's all good.

... it will be too weird again to dress-up to play, stand to an audience and get their immediate feedback. BUT I am totally willing to do it.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

7 hours ago, Gus Lozada said:

<...snip...>

When I started doing online shows, it was SO weird to finish a song and ... nothing. No claps, no cheers, no public to see their reaction... just me. <...snip...>

I get that feeling in a recording studio. The engineer, A&R and others might express their appreciation, but it's nothing like an audience enthusiastically applauding.

Also, when gigging, I can feel the energy from the audience feeding back to me, which makes me feel more excited about playing.

One more thing. Since most of the studio work I've done has been "sax for hire", I maintain a reputation for being a "One Take Jake". That means I'm more careful about what I play and stick to safer ideas. That gets me more studio work. Furthermore, if I try something unorthodox on stage, and it doesn't work, my bad judgement doesn't last forever.

Mrs. Notes and I have been gigging like crazy since February. It's like someone opened the floodgates or turned a switch on. All of our gigs have been outdoors, which is why I'm thankful I live in Florida. I'm getting big muscles from hauling our gear around ;)

The 'tourist season' ends after Easter, when I'm lucky to get two gigs a week for the duration of the hot, Florida summer. I have at least 2 gigs a week already booked through September.

People, especially the +50-year-old crowd, seems to have been jonesing for live music during the plague, and they are more than eager and appreciative to enjoy it now.

I've never done any live shows for UTube, I have a desire to do that, but I'm too busy gigging, learning new songs, and writing aftermarket styles for Band-in-a-Box to take the time to learn how.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Bob "Notes" Norton