Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Another Day in Digital Hell

So today I hoped to load EZ Drummer into my newly built studio computer.  I went to the Toontracks website, and logged into My Account.  I enter the serial number I received when I purchased EZ Drummer a few years ago, and was greeted with a notice telling my the serial number I entered belonged to a different account.

Which means I cannot download EZ Drummer onto my studio computer.  Rats.

So I sent a message to Toontracks Tech Support.  I probably won't hear from them for a few days (how many days must I wait?  Place your bets!).  In the meantime, I figured I would also post to the Toontracks community forum to see if anyone there has any suggestions.  Even tho' I am logged into the website, a notice on the community forums says I am unable to create new posts.  So I am not going to get any help that way either.

Moments like these make me think long and hard before i decide to purchase audio software products.  Today, Toontracks gets a Failing Grade for software licensing, downloads, activation, and customer support.

Did your old computer die? If not, was it a good time to upgrade or were you in the middle of something that has an urgency?

When I switched computers from a 2014 MacBook Pro to a 2020 Mac mini M1, I had a couple of plugins that wouldn't just install and go. Everything is up and running now and every company I needed to work with to get things right held their end up. 

As far as the installation software can tell, an unknown computer is going to get a complete copy of their software. If they allow that then it's potentially a free-for-all and anybody can log on with a registration number and use the software at no cost. 

Not a good business model for them, a way to get put out of business. 

I understand impatience but at the same time, you don't know the current situation at ToonTracks. Maybe a lead in Support gave notice, or somebody went on vacation or there was a family emergency. Or maybe they are just temporarily slammed. 

There could be other reasons. Good companies will take care of their customers but you have to allow for contingencies and give them a chance to make good. 

Sometimes companies can take a higher road than you expect - Tracktion gave me DAW Essentials - a $99 plugin bundle - for free when they learned I'd been using their DAW for a few years. I didn't ask them to do that and they solved the other issue I had at that time quickly. It was a nice perk though.

Please check back in after you've communicated with ToonTracks and let us know how they did. 😇

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks KuruP for your reply.  When logging onto the Toontracks website today, I was using my home computer, not my studio computer.  The home computer is the computer I used when I bought EZDrummer originally, so the computer should not be the issue.

The problem may be that I changed my ISP a few years ago, and with it, my email address.  So it may be that the EZDrummer serial number I have is tied my old (now inaccessible) email address.  The Toontracks website allowed me to log into my account with my new functioning email address (which tells me I had previously notified Toontracks of my change of email address).  So I'm guessing the change in email address may be the problem.

Yes - now my task is to wait and hope the resolution comes sooner rather than later.

• Like 1

Toontracks has been around for quite a while now. 

In my experience, companies who provide poor or little customer service don't get far. 

I would think that is especially true in an over-crowded field like the plugin market. That is also a "repeat customer" market. 

In the meantime, maybe explore the free drum plugins, not common for Mac but there's a pretty good selection for Windows. 

If you can get your tempo and a reasonable beat you can go back to tracking until you get your EZ Drummer straightened out. 

Depending on how old it is they may only have upgrades available. One of my drum softwares is Native Instruments Studio Drummer. I bought it on sale around 2010 or so and their Native Access will still install it but they haven't updated it in a long time. Lucky for me they made it 64 bit in the first place or it would be done and over. Still works fine. Currently I'm learning MODO Drum from IK Multimedia, they just updated to 1.5 for free. 

None of this will ever truly stand still for us!!!!

So I received an email from Toontracks Tech Support yesterday, telling me that they had merged two accounts, and I should try to download again.  I am not sure what "merged two accounts" means - I don't remember doing so, but it is possible I had made two different accounts at Toontracks - and so I was able to download the software from the website.  Yeah! 

For some reason, after installing and updating the software, I now have two copies of EZ Drummer on my studio computer, in two different file locations, and for all I know, two different versions of the program.  So I sent another query to Tech Support to ask about this.

Two steps forward; one backwards.  Eventually, it will get sorted out.

5 hours ago, JamPro said:

So I received an email from Toontracks Tech Support yesterday, telling me that they had merged two accounts, and I should try to download again.  I am not sure what "merged two accounts" means - I don't remember doing so, but it is possible I had made two different accounts at Toontracks - and so I was able to download the software from the website.  Yeah! 

For some reason, after installing and updating the software, I now have two copies of EZ Drummer on my studio computer, in two different file locations, and for all I know, two different versions of the program.  So I sent another query to Tech Support to ask about this.

Two steps forward; one backwards.  Eventually, it will get sorted out.

Did you delete all of your Toontracks software before downloading and installing?

If not, that might be it. 

1 hour ago, KuruPrionz said:

Did you delete all of your Toontracks software before downloading and installing?

If not, that might be it. 

No need to.  I'm installing this program on a new computer I recently built: this is a de novo install.