Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acoustic Piano Sample Library Demo - Shoot Out / Comparison / Pick Your Favorite / Recognize the Instrument

That's a great shootout! Thanks!

Turns out my #2 favourite is the Kawai EXPro, which I've had for years – collecting digital dust. I'll have to revisit. Spectrasonics C7 is no surprise.

Here for the gear.

What I found surprising is that, when I looked at my best and worst categories, one Apple Logic piano ended up in each category!

I have a bunch of others I might be able to send, but it may be a couple of weeks before I have the time... if anyone cares to revisit at that point...

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The one I was trying so hard to remember, to see if I could get it in the shootout was

https://teletoneaudio.com/products/golden-age-grand

I don't own it but the guy is here in Nashville.  Perhaps I can reach out and have him run as a sample with EF's midi.

• Like 1

What I've noticed with the pianos I've played--which aren't that many:  Logic's, Addictive Keys, white grand and others from Sampletekk, NI Komplete pianos and CFX Lite--is that they all *sound* pretty good in demos and recordings.   They sound like pianos! They *feel* and play very differently.  CFX Lite is WAY more dynamic and nuanced than the Logic pianos for example, I assume because there are just more layers of sound (to simplify).  I do tweak velocity curves as needed on any piano to suit my controller.

CFX Lite and The Grandeur are my two favorites from my stable, for "clean" grand pianos at least.  Uprights and old character pianos would call for other plugins, I have Fluffy's My Piano for instance.

Some libraries I struggle with what feels like latency--Sampletekk's for example--which is odd because I don't feel that very slight lag in others using the same controller, DAW and interface.  It's very very slight but it's enough to feel off.

5 minutes ago, Stokely said:

What I've noticed with the pianos I've played--which aren't that many:  Logic's, Addictive Keys, white grand and others from Sampletekk, NI Komplete pianos and CFX Lite--is that they all *sound* pretty good in demos and recordings.   They sound like pianos! They *feel* and play very differently.  CFX Lite is WAY more dynamic and nuanced than the Logic pianos for example, I assume because there are just more layers of sound (to simplify).  I do tweak velocity curves as needed on any piano to suit my controller.

CFX Lite and The Grandeur are my two favorites from my stable, for "clean" grand pianos at least.  Uprights and old character pianos would call for other plugins, I have Fluffy's My Piano for instance.

Some libraries I struggle with what feels like latency--Sampletekk's for example--which is odd because I don't feel that very slight lag in others using the same controller, DAW and interface.  It's very very slight but it's enough to feel off.

Very true.  Some of these instruments just play better than others.  The software the developer is using as a player (Kontakt, UVI, Steam) is a factor.  As is latency performance.  But I would say, even more so - is the attention to detail that has been put into programming response to velocity.  How and when the layers switch, which actions and controllers they've tested.  And does their software offer the ability to adjust the velocity curve.  If not, you need a workaround.  In Logic Pro X there is a plugin.  Velocity Processor - https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/velocity-processor-overview-lgce332342da/mac

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Galaxy Instruments have also developed "Noire", a Yamaha CFX 9' located in Berlin, Germany. This has been the only VST piano I have used for the last 2 years, with the exception of "Una Corda" (also a Galaxy Instrument),  if I am desiring that sound at that moment. 

• Like 2
:nopity: