Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

access virus ti2 opinions

lsj

really need some good advice before I drop too much money.  wondering if purchasing an access virus ti2 is a smart decision for me.   I presently have a behringer poly d and deepmind 6, korg wavestate, minilogue xd, and modwave, novation peak, waldorf blofeld, hydrasynth, yamaha psr-s950 and modx6.  I also have several plug-ins like komplete 12, v-collection 7, and several others.  I don't need or would use a multi-timbral module as the virus is.  just doing recordings in my fl studio.  some originals and some rock and jazz type of recordings and some cinematic and atmospheric type of recordings.  

I know that the virus is a very good synth with great reviews but is the virus unique sounding as compared to what I already have.  I spend many, many hours buying and editing sounds to my liking for all my synths, so I am always looking for different sounds that I have.  

in addition, I heard that the help from contacting access directly is not that good at all.  also, I heard that repair of their products is not up to par which leads me not to buy a used virus ti.  the new ones I guess is the way to go but that price is high.  any help will be greatly appreciated

I'm not the best one to ask as I'm not as discerning about hearing differences between synths, but I will mention that I owned a Virus B (loved it, regretted selling it) and years later got a Novation Summit (basically two Peaks).  I  think of the Summit as a "hi-fi Virus."  It scratches that same sonic itch for me but has a bit more clarity.  In your shoes, having the Peak would do the same.  Again though, I'm sure to many people they are very different, so not trying to step on any purist's toes!  :D  Not to mention, the genre of music you do probably has a lot to say about which synth features you may need.

My general thought is that with the large number of soft and hardware synths--that appear to cover a LOT of ground-- I would kind of doubt it would be all that unique, and for me that would be a lot of $ to spend.   I'm sure there are some esoteric things about its architecture that make it be able to do some things that others can't, I don't know enough about it.

Build quality on my B was very nice, in fact I still consider it the nicest-feeling synth keyboard I've ever played.

At home I only use software and like you I have Komplete.  I tend to use the u-he synths Diva and Repro more than the NI ones for my stuff.  Repro in particular is the best-sounding softsynth I've tried yet.  Granted it is modeling specific synths that you have at least partially covered: Pro 1 and Prophet V.

• Like 1

I owned two at one time; Limited Edition 5 octave white TI2, LE 34 key gunmetal TI2, oh, and I had a tabletop. I liked them but became frustrated with the company for abandoning such a nice product and only focusing on their now very popular guitar am simulator. I regret selling them until I bought a Jupiter Xm. The Jupiter has less channels, 5 vs 16 on the TI2, but I like the sounds better and it has plenty of polyphony. With the Xm I get 4 channels of synths and 1 channel of drums. Fits my needs nicely. 

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

5 hours ago, lsj said:

really need some good advice before I drop too much money.  wondering if purchasing an access virus ti2 is a smart decision for me.   I presently have a behringer poly d and deepmind 6, korg wavestate, minilogue xd, and modwave, novation peak, waldorf blofeld, hydrasynth, yamaha psr-s950 and modx6.  I also have several plug-ins like komplete 12, v-collection 7, and several others.  I don't need or would use a multi-timbral module as the virus is.  just doing recordings in my fl studio.  some originals and some rock and jazz type of recordings and some cinematic and atmospheric type of recordings.  

All things considered based on this gear list...it would not be a smart decision.😎

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A thought to consider: From your impressive list of hardware and partial list of software, I might think you already have the tools to create some very interesting sounds in just about any genre. As such a new challenge may be one of constraint, and intentional focus rather than another purcahse.

Brian Eno has famously remarked that embracing our constraints and limitations is a pathway to growth in creativity. Perhaps a way to scratch your itch is to redouble your efforts with the wide palette of tools you already own, embracing "limitation as opportunity".

For example, pick one piece of software. Restrict yourself to only using that program, denying the temptation to turn to another piece of gear or software. Go somewhere you tend not to go with that tool. Insist on devoting 25 unbroken minutes (followed by one 5 minute break), than repeat - an application of the Pomodoro time management technique. Force yourself to come up with something new. 

Sorry in advance if this is totally off base or not applicable to your situation. Just a thought that crossed my mind as I looked at your inventory.

• Like 1

Between all the hardware synths and soft synths you have, I'd say save your money as you have a sh*tload of options already. Komplete 12 alone has a vast offering, not to mention everything else you have on board. 

I was always more productive with less gear in my studio. It finally got to be too much, so I thinned the herd considerably last year and feel much better about it. Can't say I miss anything I sold as I still have plenty of options.. Didn't hurt that prices shot up dramatically either!