Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things that have always sucked and now suck even more

I guess we'll need a "Stuff that was great but is even better now" thread too?

Anyway - Century Link. Just when you start to think that nobody could suck worse than Century Link, they get worse. 

Just a few months ago I was working as Maintenance Coordinator for Association Management here in Bellingham.

Century Link has had a "lock" on the lines going to elevator emergency phones. But, they fail to work sometimes. 

So I had to call Century Link to try and find out what was going on and see about making it work correctly. Elevator emergency phones are not something you can ignore. They need to work 100%.

It could take hours to get an actual human being on the phone at Century Link and usually they would know less than nothing about anything but at least I could escalate up to their manager. Usually about 3 or 4 steps up that ladder I could find somebody who would send a technician out to check the lines. Or at least telll me that's what they were doing in hopes that I would go away. 

But if the phone wasn't fixed (this happened a couple of times), I reappeared and tried again. 

One time I did get the tech to go out and check the lines and he called me to get access - which I arranged with somebody at the Association. I asked the tech if we could please get a written document describing his findings and he said "We don't do that anymore."

And that was that. Emergency elevator phone, supposed to work 100% and having a document from my records is a reasonable but apparently impossible request. 

Go Century Link!!!! OK, who else has gone from bad to worse? 😉

• Annoyed 1
It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Unexpected bad chicken burritos. I could recover from occasional bouts like this or ill-advised alcohol use far better when I was younger.

This time, it took a week to stop feeling as if I'd received a high colonic with the Hadron collider.😬It doesn't help to keep promising impossible things to various deities, depending on the stage of your recovery.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let him take his dissonance like a man.
     ~ Charles Ives, avant-garde composer
         & father of modern insurance,
          referring to a detractor

3 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

I guess we'll need a "Stuff that was great but is even better now" thread too?

Anyway - Century Link. Just when you start to think that nobody could suck worse than Century Link, they get worse. 

Just a few months ago I was working as Maintenance Coordinator for Association Management here in Bellingham.

Century Link has had a "lock" on the lines going to elevator emergency phones. But, they fail to work sometimes. 

So I had to call Century Link to try and find out what was going on and see about making it work correctly. Elevator emergency phones are not something you can ignore. They need to work 100%.

It could take hours to get an actual human being on the phone at Century Link and usually they would know less than nothing about anything but at least I could escalate up to their manager. Usually about 3 or 4 steps up that ladder I could find somebody who would send a technician out to check the lines. Or at least telll me that's what they were doing in hopes that I would go away. 

But if the phone wasn't fixed (this happened a couple of times), I reappeared and tried again. 

One time I did get the tech to go out and check the lines and he called me to get access - which I arranged with somebody at the Association. I asked the tech if we could please get a written document describing his findings and he said "We don't do that anymore."

And that was that. Emergency elevator phone, supposed to work 100% and having a document from my records is a reasonable but apparently impossible request. 

Go Century Link!!!! OK, who else has gone from bad to worse? 😉

I put an Annoyed emoji up in solidarity. Telecoms of any sort are generally staffed by trolls at the higher end of management. If any of that sort were treated the way they treat others, they'd turn funny colors in the gamma range. As the Scots curse goes, "May their balls turn square and fester at the corners."

• Haha 1

Let him take his dissonance like a man.
     ~ Charles Ives, avant-garde composer
         & father of modern insurance,
          referring to a detractor

8 minutes ago, David Emm said:

I put an Annoyed emoji up in solidarity. Telecoms of any sort are generally staffed by trolls at the higher end of management. If any of that sort were treated the way they treat others, they'd turn funny colors in the gamma range. As the Scots curse goes, "May their balls turn square and fester at the corners."

It just felt good to get that one out in the open. As much as Xfinity/Comcast sucks, they have a retail outlet in Bellingham and I can go in there and speak face to face with an actual (somewhat) human being. 

Anyway, we started changing associations over to new wireless elevator phones and the company that we worked with would answer the phone immediately, understand your request and redirect your call to a helpful person. So it can be done. 

• Like 1

Pink guitars. 

I went to NAMM in Anaheim decades ago and every major booth was sporting lots of pink guitars. They were all hideous, at least I hated them. 

Just a few years ago, I was asked to set up a guitar that was being handed down from father to son. 

It was an original Hamer Steve Stevens model from the Billy Idol era with a Floyd Rose whammy and it WAS pink.

Until the clear coat yellowed and it looked like someone puked Pepto Bismol on it. Just not pretty at all. Great guitar but yuck! 😳

The Big Banks. Wells Fargo in particular, which lives higher up on the suckage scale than most. No wonder they got fined for defrauding the public. Or was it laundering drug money? Maybe it was both. Or maybe I'm thinking of Chase...or Bank of America. I'm happy with my local bank, where they are either really good actors, or they genuinely are happy to see me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Anderton said:

The Big Banks. Wells Fargo in particular, which lives higher up on the suckage scale than most. No wonder they got fined for defrauding the public. Or was it laundering drug money? Maybe it was both. Or maybe I'm thinking of Chase...or Bank of America. I'm happy with my local bank, where they are either really good actors, or they genuinely are happy to see me.

Ugh, banks!

In 2005 I was getting ready to move from California to Washington and I went into B of A (another heavy hitter in the suckage department) to close my account. 

The teller said "What if we give you free checking for six months?"

And I said "Why didn't you give me free checking when I was still your customer?" ...*crickets"

I've been with a credit union in Bellingham since May 2005 and they've been great. 

Of course, Wells Fargo bought my home loan in 2007 or so and then B of A bought it from them in 2009. 

I recently did a re-fi through the Costco Home Loan program and now both WF (should be WTF?) and B of A are gone, at least until one of them buys my loan again... *sigh*

18 hours ago, KuruPrionz said:

Pink guitars. 

I went to NAMM in Anaheim decades ago and every major booth was sporting lots of pink guitars. They were all hideous, at least I hated them. 

Just a few years ago, I was asked to set up a guitar that was being handed down from father to son. 

It was an original Hamer Steve Stevens model from the Billy Idol era with a Floyd Rose whammy and it WAS pink.

Until the clear coat yellowed and it looked like someone puked Pepto Bismol on it. Just not pretty at all. Great guitar but yuck! 😳

But then, there are THESE... LOVE those... THEY don't suck!

1968-Fender-Telecaster-Paisley-251199-11-2048x1366.jpg

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Ohmigod!!! I have a 1966 pink paisley Telecaster just like that one!!! It's the guitar I used as the "test guitar" for all the guitar projects I did for my Guitar Player column and for Electronic Projects for Musicians.

It was so heavily modified it's probably not worth a lot at this point. But if I died, that might add $20 to the value :) 

Okay, weird story about that guitar. It was given to me as a present, and when I picked it up, I started playing these really funky kind of lines, which was NOT what I normally played on guitar. When I picked up that guitar, R&B came out. I thought maybe it was because of the tone. I later found out it had been owned by a female rhythm guitarist in a San Jose, California R&B band. Hmmm...made me think maybe the Hawaiians were right about the concept of mana.

• Love 2

Traffic. It used to be bad, now it's horrible. I once did a seminar in Atlanta and stayed at a hotel where I could see the airport, and was told to allow an hour to get from the hotel to the airport. Say what?!?

And the drivers are getting worse, too. Just yesterday a driver sped through a stop sign at an intersection with a 4-way stop, where his part of the road was obscured by trees. If I hadn't been quick on the brake, eventually there would have been a new thread wondering why I had stopped posting in SSS. Close call.

6 hours ago, Anderton said:

Ohmigod!!! I have a 1966 pink paisley Telecaster just like that one!!! It's the guitar I used as the "test guitar" for all the guitar projects I did for my Guitar Player column and for Electronic Projects for Musicians.

It was so heavily modified it's probably not worth a lot at this point. But if I died, that might add $20 to the value :) 

Okay, weird story about that guitar. It was given to me as a present, and when I picked it up, I started playing these really funky kind of lines, which was NOT what I normally played on guitar. When I picked up that guitar, R&B came out. I thought maybe it was because of the tone. I later found out it had been owned by a female rhythm guitarist in a San Jose, California R&B band. Hmmm...made me think maybe the Hawaiians were right about the concept of mana.

That's not mine, it's a photo I snagged from among the flotsam and jetsam of the internet.

Please, Craig, post a thread over on the Guitar Forum all about that- the guitar, photos of it, the modifications you mentioned, stories, all of it. Vids or clips of how it sounds even! 😎

I love the way those original vintage Paisley tops fade to a sort of a pinkish-orange (or is it orangish-pink?), except for the area beneath the clear pickguard, which remains vibrant pink.

I believe that some were finished with gold back and sides, as well as with all pink- judging by various photos floating around on the internet. I think all of the originals had maple cap necks- am I right?

And they're Telecasters. They're cool.

• Like 2

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

3 hours ago, Anderton said:

Traffic. It used to be bad, now it's horrible. I once did a seminar in Atlanta and stayed at a hotel where I could see the airport, and was told to allow an hour to get from the hotel to the airport. Say what?!?

And the drivers are getting worse, too. 

:yeahthat:

:nopity:

Phone Robot Answering Systems: They have always been bad. Now they are much, much worse.

I miss the days when a real-live human answered the phone, identified the company I called and then asked "How may I direct your call?" or something like that.

It used to be a few simple choices, and you could press 0 to speak to a receptionist.

Now we get those menus that seldom have what you are calling about as one of the options. Press 1 for this, press 2 for that, and so on. Sometimes when you get what may be close to what you want, there is another menu with just as many choices, none of which are exactly what you want.

Pressing zero, saying receptionist, operator, human, or anything like that doesn't do any good.

Then, when you press the best choice, you get the Kevorkian Disconnect "Your call is important to us, please hold while we ignore you" until you pull the plug on yourself and hang up.

Or they drop you. Or the person you finally speak to says you have to call back because he or she cannot redirect your call.

The other day I called a company, Due to an unexpected call volume (it always seems unexpected) please hold. Repetitive music snippet interrupted by the please hold message and finally after about 10 minutes a new message asking me to leave my phone number, and I'll get a call back. They still haven't called back.

These systems sucked when they first arrived, and they suck even more now. It seems they don't want you to call.

Insights, incites and a minor rant by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

TV Weather Forecasts: They've always been inaccurate, but now they're presented by a bunch of vapid, giggling bimbos broadcasting from home while holding up their children and/or pets on camera.

Full disclosure: I am in the Los Angeles viewing area...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

On 4/4/2022 at 3:12 PM, Notes_Norton said:

It used to be a few simple choices, and you could press 0 to speak to a receptionist.

Now we get those menus that seldom have what you are calling about as one of the options. Press 1 for this, press 2 for that, and so on. Sometimes when you get what may be close to what you want, there is another menu with just as many choices, none of which are exactly what you want.

I often have my OGM be some B.S. like "thank you for calling Sears Credit Department." (Currently, it's "thank you for calling the Psychic Hotline. All of our psychics are currently in a trance. You can leave a message, but we already knew you were going to call…")

But when I have it be a business-sounding thing, I often throw in, "please listen to the following menu as our options have changed." That's because they throw that B.S. at you all the time. The "please listen to the following menu" schpiel is the same one from when I called you six months ago, jerks!

One friend was laughing so hard he could hardly leave his real message on my VM. So that was good. :D:thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I used to have an OGM with B.S. numbers, like "Press 2 for the latest tin export figures from Bolivia. Press 3 for scheduling your vacation. Press 4 to disconnect immediately. Press 666 to enter voicemail hell" and the like. What freaked me out is when the messages that were left had the sound of touchtone buttons being pressed.

• Haha 1