Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A couple cool bands

...that I saw at SXSW.

W. H. Lung

Terribly catchy synthy post-punk kind of stuff from Manchester, great live show. Frontman really brings it, big David Byrne energy. Unfortunately a lot of the synth stuff is sequenced live, but the second singer rocks a Minilogue and the bassist occasionally switches to synth bass as well.

The Texas Gentlemen

Big, big pocket from these guys. Seasoned pros who've backed up everyone from George Strait and Kris Kristofferson to Leon Bridges, now stepping out with their own material. Couple of the guys I was with were already familiar and had them high up on the list of people to see, for good reason. Seriously funky, oodles of chops without ever overplaying, lots of seamless tempo and feel changes, great interplay between everyone, etc etc. And the songs were actually good, too, it wasn't just good players playing well. Wish I could've seen them play three sets! Keys player had a cool rig too, OB-6 on top of an NE4HP. Also played organ parts on the OB-6, pretty sure there was a MIDI cable between the two.

• Like 1