Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New MacBook Pro M1, macOS Monterey, MainStage 3.6. Good stuff

Copied from my recent post on Facebook MainStage forum

Just unboxed a brand new 14” Mac Book M1 Pro

16gb 1TB SSD

Turned it on. Did the usual setup, removed things I will never use on this machine. (iMovie, the office type stuff)

Turned off Siri and block messenger from opening. 

Then went right to the App Store and downloaded Mainstage 3.6. 

Waited for it to finish downloading the basic library. 

Launched Mainstage and selected the other sounds I wanted. 

Then to see how it looked, I opened up the built in Synths concert. 

Everything, and I mean everything looked good. 

The patch list has the proper background color with icons and patch names. 

The memory bar is correct. 

Even with Space D active, CPU barely ticks 

So far so good. 

I then went to my Arturia account and downloaded the software center. 

Opened that and activated what I use. V-Collection 8. 

Then within that activated and installed the specific instruments I use. 

Tested them stand alone then created channel strips

Again, Mainstage handled it just fine

Playing monster chords with sustain on Jup-8 V4, CPU maxed at total 20% This is in the Synth concert so those other things are also active. 

Then I did the same with PianoTeq. 

All good. 

This is with OSX Monterey 12.2.1

I’m now grabbing my B3X from iK. 

I expect similar results

I ran thru this same test on an older non M1 MBP, and I did have a lot of the issues. Patch names not visible, maxed out memory bar, etc. 

My very simple conclusion is 3.6 is optimized for the new machines. 

A friend also just got a brand new 16” MBP and has the same perfect out of box results 

After B3X installs I will begin building my concerts up and stress testing. 

Update:

B3X works just fine, stand alone and inside MainStage.

• Like 5

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I could see it working flawlessly as you described David. The issues for me were with opening my band files and finding all the text notes gone, the external routings no longer working etc. Was able to fix it and it worked beautifully at last gig, but a hell of a bump in-between.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

That's an interesting post you copied - here's what it looks like in my browser!

er post.jpg

The text of @EscapeRocks's post from above, just changed the font color:

"Just unboxed a brand new 14” Mac Book M1 Pro

16gb 1TB SSD

Turned it on. Did the usual setup, removed things I will never use on this machine. (iMovie, the office type stuff)

Turned off Siri and block messenger from opening. 

Then went right to the App Store and downloaded Mainstage 3.6. 

Waited for it to finish downloading the basic library. 

Launched Mainstage and selected the other sounds I wanted. 

Then to see how it looked, I opened up the built in Synths concert. 

Everything, and I mean everything looked good. 

The patch list has the proper background color with icons and patch names. 

The memory bar is correct. 

Even with Space D active, CPU barely ticks 

So far so good. 

I then went to my Arturia account and downloaded the software center. 

Opened that and activated what I use. V-Collection 8. 

Then within that activated and installed the specific instruments I use. 

Tested them stand alone then created channel strips

Again, Mainstage handled it just fine

Playing monster chords with sustain on Jup-8 V4, CPU maxed at total 20% This is in the Synth concert so those other things are also active. 

Then I did the same with PianoTeq. 

All good. 

This is with OSX Monterey 12.2.1

I’m now grabbing my B3X from iK. 

I expect similar results

I ran thru this same test on an older non M1 MBP, and I did have a lot of the issues. Patch names not visible, maxed out memory bar, etc. 

My very simple conclusion is 3.6 is optimized for the new machines. 

A friend also just got a brand new 16” MBP and has the same perfect out of box results 

After B3X installs I will begin building my concerts up and stress testing. 

Update:

B3X works just fine, stand alone and inside MainStage."

• Like 1

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

So David, even though you use hardware synths (afaik going on your posts) you still find Mainstage useful?

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I find it all useful

I am retiring the MacMini in the rack.  (once my new MBP is fully setup)

My Mac Mini becomes my home desktop

A bit like getting back to where I began with all this:   PX5S, Keylab 61 Black edition, Late 2013 MBP Retina.  Anemic, but did the job with just Mainstage 3.1 sounds.  Then I discovered third party libraries

When I wanted something killer to run it all, at the time the late 2018 Mini was what I could afford.

As I get older, and we are doing more festival type shows, lugging the rack around is a pain.

With my Gibraltar stand on wheels, I have an attachment I put on it to hold the MBP

My Nautilus is the audio i/o

• Like 1

David

3 hours ago, EscapeRocks said:

I find it all useful

I am retiring the MacMini in the rack.  (once my new MBP is fully setup)

My Mac Mini becomes my home desktop

A bit like getting back to where I began with all this:   PX5S, Keylab 61 Black edition, Late 2013 MBP Retina.  Anemic, but did the job with just Mainstage 3.1 sounds.  Then I discovered third party libraries

When I wanted something killer to run it all, at the time the late 2018 Mini was what I could afford.

As I get older, and we are doing more festival type shows, lugging the rack around is a pain.

With my Gibraltar stand on wheels, I have an attachment I put on it to hold the MBP

My Nautilus is the audio i/o

When you do festivals, outdoors, summer time - what steps do you take to keep your Mac out of the sun and to keep from failure in oppressive temps?  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

1 hour ago, ElmerJFudd said:

When you do festivals, outdoors, summer time - what steps do you take to keep your Mac out of the sun and to keep from failure in oppressive temps?  

I’ve had issues with the 2016 15” ‘Book overheating and throttling down, but not since I’ve raised it up maybe half a centimetre off the cloth-covered Flightcase it rests on during shows. 

This machine isn’t as prone to overheating as the newer 16” intels, though. 

there should be no issues at all with the Apple Silicon machines — they don’t get half as warm, even under full load. 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Yes, I agree. The new silicon is lower power and runs cooler. I’m thinking worst case scenario - summer gigs, a set in the sun.  Humid 90+ days/evenings.  I guess we’ll hear from players over the summer how the new Macs do.  

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

25 minutes ago, analogika said:

there should be no issues at all with the Apple Silicon machines — they don’t get half as warm, even under full load. 

As Elmer alluded to, we're talking about different things here. Of course it's true M1 processors consume much less power than the older Intels, but that's "self generated" heat, not what we're referring to here. I would be just as cautious with an M1 Macbook Pro in direct sun as I'd be with my current old Intel MacBook Pro, which shut down at a show at the Levitt Pavillion in Denver, an outdoor venue with no stage covering. The sun is what got my computer's temps up, not the processor working hard.

I am a huge fan (no pun) of the Thermaltake line of cooling pads

spacer.png

From my very first show with Mainstage, whenever we played outside, one was in use.

I have never had an issue.   My laptop never sees direct sun.  Sure, it will be hot outside, but I find a way to always shade the laptop.     I don't interact with the computer once I am setup.  All of my patch changes, etc..are ahndled from my boards, mapped to buttons in MainStage

• Like 1
  • Love 1

David

A perfect storm of events led to my "shutdown" issue and taught me a lesson: be more prepared for outdoor gigs! This was a venue new to us. It's possible some of us knew it was outdoors, but I didn't, and also never expected a major venue to have an uncovered stage. We fly with gear, but not sun shades! The venue had a big supply (they've obviously seen this scenario) that was used up by the headliner (who set up and sound checked before us). We had to set up in front of the headliner, the stage was packed and there was absolutely no space with shade I could put the laptop in. Anyway, that's getting OT, but I did want to mention it only to point out that in this particular circumstance, having an M1 - equipped Mac would have made no difference! I'm sure a brand new MacBook Pro would have shut off just like mine did -you could have fried an egg on it! The show went fine, the shutdown happened during sound check and I got shade & a fan happening for the actual gig.

Somehow I still have the idea that some folks here think an M1-powered Mac is less susceptible to direct-sun overheating issues because the processor itself runs cooler than older Macs. I wouldn't bet on that assumption, but maybe we'll find out for sure since summer is coming (though it seems very far away with the lastest temps in the NYC area!).

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Reezekeys said:

Somehow I still have the idea that some folks here think an M1-powered Mac is less susceptible to direct-sun overheating issues because the processor itself runs cooler than older Macs. I wouldn't bet on that assumption, but maybe we'll find out for sure since summer is coming (though it seems very far away with the lastest temps in the NYC area!).

Like you, I've been doing these kinds of gigs for a long time.   I always assume the worst on outdoor shows.   Even with hardware boards.... First time outside with my old MODX, I couldn't see the darned touchscreen.    During a short break I fashioned a small hood... then all was well :)

• Like 1

David

1 hour ago, Reezekeys said:

but maybe we'll find out for sure since summer is coming (though it seems very far away with the lastest temps in the NYC area!).

Yep, I was not expecting it to be that cold when I left the house this morning, especially since it was like 60F over the weekend

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, Ibanez TMB-100
Studio Gear: Audient EVO16, JBL 305P MKII monitors, assorted microphones, Reaper

On 3/29/2022 at 3:12 AM, Reezekeys said:

This is indeed my assumption. 

I’m probably not going to be in a position to test that anytime soon, though (my 2016 15“ is holding up fine), so I’m not betting on anything. 

looking forward to real-world reports on the matter! 

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

If anyone has time to kill, below is a link to my thread from 2 ½ years ago describing the gig I did in direct sun. There were many excellent suggestions for ways to cool a laptop, and also posts from a few showing that hardware keyboards aren't immune from overheating issues either.

Not to beat a dead horse but I still believe an M1 Mac isn't less apt to have problems in direct sun. I might be mistaken, but isn't the main function of a computer's cooling system to carry heat generated by the processor & other components away from those parts? Direct sun heating up the outside case is a secondary source of heat and may not be factored into a typical cooling system design of a computer. Of course M1 chips consume less power than Intels, however, does playing a gig with a laptop rig really stress any modern processor that much? In all the years I've sat at home playing my live gig setup I have never heard the fans - ever. It's possible they were spinning at a low speed, but I know what they sound like when they get going – and banging away playing my mix of instruments and effects plugins, on my 9-year-old MacBook Pro, at a 128 buffer, I don't hear the fans. The processor usage meters on Plogue Bidule (there's a percentage indicator for each of the four cores of my i7) rarely go over 30% - and they fluctuate a lot based on my playing. Again, I might be wrong, but it's been my understanding that processors get hot when they're used heavily for a sustained amount of time – like transcoding a large video file. I don't think playing a typical gig puts that kind of stress on a system.

Of course, anyone choosing a Mac now would likely go for an M1 based on its much-improved performance with music apps, not because it might do better on a gig in direct sun!

For your entertainment, here's that thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/topic/173558-summer-outdoor-gig-direct-sun-and-electronics/#comments

• Like 2

Had a Kronos give a temp warning on a beach gig a few years back! Last day of the summer season in the UAE before it gets REALLY hot!
Had to muddle along with an old SY77 (or 85??) I just brought as a controller! 

I also ended up with sunstroke that day - did an evening gig afterwards and was really nauseous - had to cancel the next day's gigs!

Look after yourself before the gear 😉 

• Like 1