Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sicilian Spaghetti Sauce

I used to be married to a Sicilian, shortly before the divorce she shared her family recipe for spaghetti sauce.  Her mom and siblings brought it over when they emigrated from Sicily.

After the divorce I moved to a new town new job.  There weren't any good Italian restaurants in the new town so I dug out the recipe.  I tweaked it a bit and hit on a winning recipe.  I have been serving it to family, to parties, to community dinners with camping friends, and everybody loves it.

Spaghetti Sauce

Serves four people

4-6 cloves garlic (or four teaspoons minced garlic)
2 cans crushed tomatoes
Fresh basil (not dried, BIG difference!)
oregano (organic is best)
1 carrot
onion salt or onion
Italian style meatballs

1) peel and pulverize garlic
2) cover sauce pan with layer of olive oil & put fire on high
3) add chopped garlic, cook & stir until yellowish/transparent, do not burn or brown
4) add tomato sauce, stir
5) add onion salt or chopped onions, stir
6) add chopped carrots & add to sauce.  This sweetens the sauce without using sugar
7) chop basil & oregano, stir
😎 put fire on medium low and allow to simmer, stir occasionally
9) when sauce is warm, add meatballs
10) sample for taste, 20 minutes minimum simmer

Use medium heat, if fire is too hot it will burn the sauce and change the flavor.  The fire is right when the sauce in the pot splatters just a little.

Fresh basil makes a difference.  When you cut the leaves, the juice comes out of the leaves.  Dried basil does not have the juice.  When you add the cut basil to the sauce, you will smell the difference right away.

• Like 1