Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

iPad - case, screen protector - one, both or neither?

I am finally upgrading from my old iPad2 to 9th gen. I use mainly for reading real book charts and transcribing. My first inclination is to use both screen protector and a case. Wondering what you feel is important or overkill and what do you think is best in marketplace?

Extra credit question - when I set up new iPad, will my PC transfer all my programs and pdf's?

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

I typically screen protectors on phones because I keep dropping them, but never have on the iPad, as I typically use a case with a cover. 

When you setup a new device you can create a mirror image of an existing device, if you have the icloud backup.  There may be other ways, but the icloud way works.  Have done it a few times.   The pdfs I think it depends on the app.   

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I bought a detachable keyboard/case/cover for travelling. Another use for the keyboard is BlueTooth to our television for inputting passwords, logins etc on various streaming services and search engines. 

Here for the gear.

On 3/23/2022 at 6:10 AM, 16251 said:

I am finally upgrading from my old iPad2 to 9th gen. I use mainly for reading real book charts and transcribing. My first inclination is to use both screen protector and a case. Wondering what you feel is important or overkill and what do you think is best in marketplace?

Extra credit question - when I set up new iPad, will my PC transfer all my programs and pdf's?

Screen protector and case: It is easy and inexpensive to protect your screen with a screen protector as opposed to replacing the screen. If you do not care about a relatively minor degree of screen damage up til it needs replacing then skip it. The case is essential. Gorilla Glass or not these devices are fragile.

Extra Credit: iOS and OSX are not identical operating systems so you cannot transfer programs / apps between the two. However files, especially native files, created with software on either OS are typically designed so they can be accessible by the coinciding OS software. For instance, Pages on IOS or OSX reads and edits native Pages files regardless of which one it originated from.

PDF's are designed to be universally accessible by any app or application which can open and read a PDF, provided the versions are compatible. Some features may not function in an application which does not support the feature, if it opens at all.

1 hour ago, o0Ampy0o said:

Screen protector and case: It is easy and inexpensive to protect your screen with a screen protector as opposed to replacing the screen. If you do not care about a relatively minor degree of screen damage up til it needs replacing then skip it. The case is essential. Gorilla Glass or not these devices are fragile.

Extra Credit: iOS and OSX are not identical operating systems so you cannot transfer programs / apps between the two. However files, especially native files, created with software on either OS are typically designed so they can be accessible by the coinciding OS software. For instance, Pages on IOS or OSX reads and edits native Pages files regardless of which one it originated from.

PDF's are designed to be universally accessible by any app or application which can open and read a PDF, provided the versions are compatible. Some features may not function in an application which does not support the feature, if it opens at all.

BTW when I said transfer from PC, I thought I was implying Windows, which is what I use to access my Windows based iTunes. I don't have a iMac. I definately will get a case, I'm on the fence with the protector. Third party loves to sell you $hit.

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

3 hours ago, 16251 said:

BTW when I said transfer from PC, I thought I was implying Windows, which is what I use to access my Windows based iTunes. I don't have a iMac. I definately will get a case, I'm on the fence with the protector. Third party loves to sell you $hit.

“PC” frequently is the Windows equivalent of “Mac” but you asked about programs automatically transferring. I could see that appearing as a possibility between iOS and OSX because they share many traits on the surface at least. Software is sold platform specific or you get a version of both but “apps” and phone / tablet versions may not appear as distinct because everything is downloaded, the choices / decisions so automatic and there is not the opportunity to pause and dwell on packaging. Reading info on boxes to pass time is an activity of past times.

You don’t necessarily need a hard case. There are soft padded bags. The screen protector is standard in my mind. I would not use my phone without one either. 

On 3/23/2022 at 9:10 AM, 16251 said:

...what do you think is best in marketplace?

Otterbox Defender series.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

35 minutes ago, vonnor said:

Otterbox Defender series.

~ vonnor

Can confirm, I have had a Defender on my iPhones for the last 5 years, first on my 6 Plus (the original bending smartphone) and now on my 13, and they have survived countless drops and falls.

Instruments: Walters Grand Console Upright Piano circa 1950 something, Kurzweil PC4-88, my voice

Picked up a cheapie, Soko for $19.99.  Edges are protected, screen cover is included in the case. The pencil can still connect by magnet, but has a little click in clip as well.  Most of the time I use it on a stand for sheets and charts. Case doesn’t add much to its size, still fits in some mic stand mounts. 

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The screen of my iPad Pro 9.7” cracked!  A long crack from the topmost left corner, where the camera cut out is.  I suspect I may have done this when taking it out of a case, esp since the camera cutout is where you can push in to help getting the iPad out of case.

Never even considered a screen protector for an iPad before, but I’m reasonably sure I wouldn’t have cracked the screen in the first place with a glass screen protector in place.  Now the screen protector I just put in will help me prolong the useable life of this iPad.

No mention of keyboard.  I’ve always found a keyboard-case to be really useful, turns it into a laptop without adding much weight/bulk.  There are many available that are 1/2 or less than what an apple branded keyboard is.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

I have both, use neither. The case makes the iPad much bigger than I am used to. Screen protectors tend to make the touch screen less sensitive. If you use the new pen the paperkike screen protector can make it feel like you are writing or drawing on paper.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

3 hours ago, Jr. Deluxe said:

There are liquid applied screen protectors. No decrease in touch response and unless I hit this on purpose it's very unlikely to crack.

I also have not had a problem with the touch sensitivity.

I suspect this is one of those myth / theories based on concept absent of real life evidence. In theory anything like a layer of material strong enough to protect the screen ought to impede touch sensitivity to some degree but in the case of a quality screen protector it doesn't. Perhaps touch control does not require great finesse. I have many design programs which utilize Wacom tablets, Cintiqs and Apple Pencil / iPad combinations. If anything you benefit from a degree of restriction, resistance and limitation. Drawing paper is not glass. Too sensitive and you cannot prevent unwanted / uncontrolled flourishes. With regards to touch screen control, a fingertip is not intended to act like a fine stylus. We are just triggering buttons for the most part.