Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KILLER Chicken Pot Pie

A major family fave...

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed

1 cup sliced carrots, coarsely chopped

1 cup green peas

½ cup sliced celery 

½ cup butter

⅓ cup chopped onion

1 T chopped garlic

1 medium potato, cut into small cubes

⅓ cup all-purpose flour

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

¼ teaspoon celery seed

4 cups chicken broth

⅔ cup milk

2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

2 capfuls Marsala wine (my favorite little touch!)

• Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (220 degrees C.)

• In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery and potato cubes. Add 2 cups chicken broth supplemented with enough water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.  DO NOT WASH PAN!

• In the same saucepan over medium heat, cook onions and garlic in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in 2 c chicken broth, marsala wine and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.

• Using a deep-dish pie plate, place enough chicken mixture into the bottom pie crust to half fill it. Pour some hot liquid mixture over top. Using a fork, help the hot mixture to settle into the chicken mixture a bit  Add the rest of the chicken mixture, then pour the remaining sauce on top. Again, help the hot mixture to settle into the chicken mixture a bit (it’s okay for the hot mixture to be higher than the edges of the pie – it’ll give the pie a nice “dome” effect).  If you want to just combine the chicken mixture and sauce and pour it into the crust all at one, that seems to work nicely as well.

• Cover with the top crust, seal the edges, and cut away the excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.

Optional:  gently crimp the edges using a fork.

Optional: beat an egg and lightly wash the top of the pie with the beaten egg.

• Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.

Reheat tip:  individual slices - 250 degrees in a toaster oven for 15-20 minutes (depending on coldness).

dB

78999114_10218356825903830_1204863030903439360_n.thumb.jpg.e718510be30d6bc1dc13b456dc773ab7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Cool 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

I usually do add more garlic, truth be told.  We always keep a bunch of minced garlic around, and I tend to scoop heaping tablespoons of that.

I heard once from a buddy’s Italian grandma that if a recipe calls for one clove of garlic, add two.  If it calls for none, add three. 😁

Same with the marsala - heaping capfuls.  The key for me is to not be able to quite distinguish it, though… 😏

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: