Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I'm a hero. Kind of.

I was walking across the street late yesterday afternoon, on an unglamorous trip to pick up cat food and toilet paper from the grocery store. As I meandered along through the store's parking lot, I glanced up to see something that didn't look too good.

A little kid, perhaps two years old, had broken away from his Mom and was running, as kids have a tendency to do. Except this little one was running straight toward the main lane of the parking lot, and a Mustang was coming toward him, going too fast. There was no way the driver could see the kid from his angle.

Well, it wasn't a big deal, really. I took a couple of big, adrenalin-fueled steps, snatched the kid up and leapt to the curb. Mustang squeals the brakes (smoking the tires), Mom screams, and I made it with at least three inches to spare between me and the front bumper.

The funny thing was that it happened so fast, I still had my mind on my cat food and toilet paper. Especially the toilet paper, at that point. So I smiled, handed the kid to the now-freaking-out Mom and walked in and did my shopping. I believe I heard her call "thank you" as I went in. Doesn't matter. Doing good things isn't about aggrandizement, or at least it shouldn't be.

So since I blew off my opportunity for adulation there, I thought I'd get it here. :D

- Jeff

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmm, good work Weasel. :thu:

So finish your story... what about that toilet paper? I feel certain that it was immediately put to good use after THAT incident. :rolleyes:

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Kendrix:

Did you feel you were in danger - risking yourself to save the kid? Or was it pure reflex?

Reflex. There was no time to think at all.

But I don't know that I would have been able to act so quickly if I wasn't a Dad myself. You become very accustomed to watching out for things happening to kids, and most of those things happen quickly. I'm sure all the parents here can testify how many times they caught their kids falling before they hit the coffee table, leaping over the couch to stop them from burning their hands on a hot stove and so on.

So yeah. It's more like, "Kid... car... go", except that thought process takes place in a hundredth of a second, if not faster.

- Jeff

Smooth, Weasel!

Nice job. :thu:

**Standard Disclaimer** Ya gotta watch da Ouizel, as he often posts complete and utter BS. In this case however, He just might be right. Eagles may soar, but Ouizels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Nice work!

Now I have a great image in my head of a weasel skipping accross a parking lot and plucking a child away from a nasty big car at the last minute.

"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

... I still had my mind on my cat food and toilet paper. Especially the toilet paper, at that point.

Hopefully you did NOT need it immediately after the events... :D

Jeff, that was something absolutely cool. The fact you can react that way was very fortunate for the kid and the kid's mom and for the driver... without the weasel the guy might be in jail ...

:thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

You can tell a lot about a person from how they instantly react to stressful situations without being able to think about it.

Kudos Jeff

Me and my two dogs, Remington and Winchester

That rocks, Jeff! Glad you were in the right place at the right time.

Now just don't go all Peter Brady on us (and if you know what I'm talking about, you're a REAL dork... oh wait... :eek: ... I mean, forget I said that! :D )

That's nothing Jeff. I once stopped a child with the sound of my voice. Same situation, car coming from one direction, child running directly towards the path of the oncoming vehicle and I just screamed, with all my might,STOP!, and that child stopped in his tracks, RIGHT in midstride. If he hadn't he would have been hit by the car. That child was my son, Sam, and he approved this message.

Archived