Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Subwoofer in the Studio

I use Mackie HR824 monitors in my home studio. I would like to hear a little oompf from the with regard to low end(not for hip hop or techno music, but rock and funk). I called Mackie and was told that they are about to ship a new powered subwoofer, the HRS120, but it lists for $1,499.00. Does anyone out there use a subwoofer with their studio monitors? I saw one store selling a Tannoy PS110 for $295.00. Any thoughts? [ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: Dan Kleiner ]

Taylor K65CE

Froggy Bottom F-12

Martin D-41

Huss & Dalton OM Custom

Charis SJ Brazilian/Red Western Cedar

Taylor XXX-BE

'59 Les Paul Reissue

Peter Frampton Les Paul

'62 Jazz Bass Reissue

Gibson J-160e

Hofner '62 Bass

Ric 350V63

Ric 360v64/12

Ric 4001VP Fireglo

Gretsch '62 Tennessean Rose

Grtesch '62 County Gentleman SP

Epi John Lennon Revolution

Godin Mlutiac

Anderson Hollow Classic Drop Top Custom

PRS Custom 22 10 Top

G&L ASAT Classic

G&L Comanche Butterscoth Flame

'57 Fender Strat Reissue

Eric Clapton Strat

40th Anniv. Fender Start

'76 Strat

'61 SG Reissue

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Dan Kleiner: [b]I use Mackie HR824 monitors in my home studio. I would like to hear a little oompf from the with regard to low end(not for hip hop or techno music, but rock and funk). I called Mackie and was told that they are about to ship a new powered subwoofer, the HRS120, but it lists for $1,499.00. Does anyone out there use a subwoofer with their studio monitor? I saw one strore selling a Tannoy PS110 for $295.00. Any thoughts?[/b][/quote] I use a Sony home theatre active sub I bought from Best Buy for about $120 to supplement my Monitor 1's. It has seperate controls for volume and cutoff frequency and has cut my need to remix due to misjudged bass content by about 75%. I've got the cutoff set around 200hz. The volume level for the sub was the most difficult thing to judge because even with the sub giving me the freqs that I hadn't really heard before, I had it too loud at first which caused my mixes to be bass shy. It took a few days and a little experimentation to find the right balance and I immediately duct taped over both the cutoff and level controls. I've been very happy with this minimal investment. I'm sure the $1500 unit would produce more accurate bass. Good luck. Lawrence

Archived