Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slow Cooker Shrimp Gumbo

We love this recipe - goes great with dB’s Favorite Biscuits!

·  1/2 cup all-purpose flour

·  1 lb Andouille sausage, cut on the bias into 1/2-inch slices

·  1 can diced tomatoes (15-ounce) 

·  1 large white onion, diced medium

·  1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, diced medium

·  3 celery stalks, diced medium

·  4 garlic cloves, minced

·  2 bay leaves

·  2 teaspoons Creole seasoning or homemade Cajun spice mix

·  1/2 teaspoon dried thyme

·  4 cups chicken broth

·  2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined

·  1 bunch green onions, trimmed and sliced

·  1 tsp filé gumbo powder

·  ½ cup cut okra

· 1/4 cup chopped parsley

Heat the oven to 400°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Sprinkle the flour in a dry, 9-inch cast-iron skillet and bake until golden brown, stirring once, about 10 to 15 minutes. Set aside and let cool in the skillet for at least 10 minutes. 

Add the sausage to a large, shallow, heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook until brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. 

Place the drained sausage in the crock of a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, celery, okra, garlic, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, and thyme.

Whisk the broth into the browned flour until no lumps remain, then add it to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.

Stir in the shrimp, half the green onions, filé gumbo powder and the parsley. Cover and cook on high, stirring once, until the shrimp are cooked through and the flavors are melded, about 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves, ladle the gumbo into (warmed!) bowls, and sprinkle with the remaining green onions. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

My recipe is very similar. Except... 

Cut the shrimp to 1lb. Add 1lb crab meat and 1lb oysters. If you're getting the giant pacific oysters, you'll want to cut them down.

Increase the creole seasoning to 1 tbsp

Increase the okra to 1 cup. 

I leave out the file powder. In New Orleans, we tended to use file or okra, but not both. 

I go for a chocolate brown roux, but that takes nerves of steel. A beat or two too long and it's burned. Yours looks delicious. Wish we were closer. We could do a cookout. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Affiliations: Jambé

1 hour ago, John Worthington said:

My recipe is very similar. Except... 

Cut the shrimp to 1lb. Add 1lb crab meat and 1lb oysters. If you're getting the giant pacific oysters, you'll want to cut them down.

Increase the creole seasoning to 1 tbsp

Increase the okra to 1 cup. 

I leave out the file powder. In New Orleans, we tended to use file or okra, but not both. 

I love all these mods.  Thank you, John!

dB

• Cool 1

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Also, a couple of thoughts on making a roux...

Flour and oil make a sticky mess that will burn you if you aren't careful. I use a cast iron pan and a silicone wisk Typically a small-ish one. More surface area on the pan. Let the oil get hot in the pan before adding the flour. As soon as the flour goes in, I start stirring - constantly. When it's just barely mixed, you have a light roux that's a perfect start for a cheese sauce. Add milk and shredded cheese and you're on your way. 

Keep going and it'll get darker. A copper color is lovely for an etouffe or shrimp creole. Keep going. Before you know it, it'll start to get dark. This is the high risk, high reward zone. When it's about the color of hot chocolate, I add the trinity - chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery and stir them through. They'll soften quickly and the cold vegetables will pull some of the heat out of the roux. You might need to switch to a spatula or spoon at this point. Just remember that the roux is going to continue to brown through this. Too long and it burns. As soon as it gets to chocolate, you need to be spooning this into your broth. 

There's no shame in stopping at a nice medium dark color. In New Orleans there will often be long drawn out "discussions" about various gumbo recipes and the correct color roux. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Affiliations: Jambé