Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Better Than Daylight Savings Time?

43 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

The big problem the way I see it is this: If it's noon in Greenwich England and someone wants to call someone in Brisbane, Australia, he/she can look at a chart, see Brisbane is GMT+10 or 10 PM and the caller knows that the Australian is not at work, and it could be close to bedtime, depending on how well the English person knows the Australian.

On the other hand, If it's noon all over, it's also noon in Brisbane and the caller would have to know the average time Brisbane usually wakes up, goes to work, and goes to sleep.

In this age of International business, If I want to call Tokyo, I just look at a chart, or google it and I know if it's morning, noon, afternoon, evening or night in Tokyo. That will keep me from calling someone in the middle of their night.

First of all, I'm fine with dividing a day into 12 or 10 or whatever. My point isn't that there's a problem with 12, just that it's highly arbitrary. I think's good to question things that have been accepted blindly. There may be a better way.

As to your main point, you still have to do a mental conversion - you have to "look at a chart, or google it." But how often do we cold-call someone on a different continent? I think it's much more common to set up a meeting in advance. These days, emails are the primary form of business communication, and one reason for their popularity is they inherently time-shift. People send when it's convenient for them, I read when it's convenient for me. What's more, emails are often about setting up a time for a face-to-face call. Because emails are time-stamped, you have a very good idea of what time is optimum for the other person.

One of the things that got me thinking about this is I consult to a lot of companies where people work from home, have flexible office hours, or live on a different continent. Some are early-to-bed, early-to-rise types. Some work until 3AM and get up at noon. Some deal with their messages first thing to get them out of the way, some do it during midday. With universal time, I would find out what time works best for them without having to translate it to my time, or convert mine to theirs. I would know that the best time to talk with XYZ is 17:00 or 21:00 or 06:00 or whatever. 

When i was head of the MIDI Association, we had to coordinate real-time meetings with Europe, the US, Japan, and China. It was a real problem..."so what's that in your time?" It would have been much easier if each person said "the best time for a meeting would be between X and Y hours," then you would see where the times overlapped, and make the meeting for that time. Simple.

I really don't see any problems a universal time introduces that don't exist with the way things are now, and I see several advantages.

When I first started selling Band-in-a-Box aftermarket products in the early 1990s, I called England, France, Finland, and Germany a bit. I used to have resellers there.

I have a brother-in-law who lives in Brisbane.

Now that the Internet has become standard, I don't have the need to call Internationally anymore, except for my B-I-L in Oz.

I find it easier to think GMT plus or minus whatever and know what part of their day they are in. But that's perhaps because I've always done it that way.

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

In my neighborhood the school bus stops next door at 6:30 AM. It was dark before the time change and it is dark now when they are picked up. I would be all for a single time zone. It is a bit strange where I live. I'm on EST. Our farm is CST. Go to Louisville, EST. Head straight down south to Nashville, CST. Keep going south and you end up back in EST.

• Confused 1

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I agree with Craig's OP. In fact, I had the same thought a while back though I knew it wouldn't get anywhere. :idk:

I think too many people would be superstitious about having thirteen months in the calendar, though. As soon as anything bad happens, they'll say it's because of that.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

As was mentioned earlier, DST sucks for astronomers. It really does. If we’re going to stick to one, my vote is staying in Standard Time.

The mention of permanent DST helping seasonal depression makes me laugh. I find it makes it worse for most folks I know, and it certainly is worse for me. I like sun in the morning.

• Like 2

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

6 minutes ago, Mighty Motif Max said:

As was mentioned earlier, DST sucks for astronomers. It really does. If we’re going to stick to one, my vote is staying in Standard Time.

Yeah, if people aren't going to go for a single, universal time, that's where I landed as well. Although since I like to stay up late, if DST does become permanent, maybe I can get a gig as an astronomer. I usually stay up late anyway :)

The motion was passed in the Senate almost by sleight-of-hand. I think the microwave clock industry must have a powerful lobby. if you don't want this to happen, write your representative in the House, because that's where the bill goes next. If your representative is a Republican, start your letter with "This horrible, ill-conceived plan is so typical of Democrats - but you won't get sucked in, right?" If your representative is a Democrat, start your letter with "This horrible, ill-conceived plan is so typical of Republicans - but you won't get sucked in, right?" Hey, might as well make blind partisanship work in our favor for a change.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2022 at 12:42 PM, RABid said:

In my neighborhood the school bus stops next door at 6:30 AM. It was dark before the time change and it is dark now when they are picked up. I would be all for a single time zone. It is a bit strange where I live. I'm on EST. Our farm is CST. Go to Louisville, EST. Head straight down south to Nashville, CST. Keep going south and you end up back in EST.

That's pretty nuts!

Except for a couple of weeks in Hawaii and a couple of weeks in Boston, I've spent my life on Pacific time, hanging out on the West Coast.

Flying to and from Hawaii was pretty freaky. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I wrote to my rep, and his reply was that golf courses and other businesses are more profitable when the daylight hours are extended.

I guess he feels corporate profits are more important than the live of his constituents and their children. He will never get my vote in an election again, unless satan himself runs against him.

I ask all who want to keep standard time, please write to your representatives and the president too (who can veto the bill).

Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

1 minute ago, Anderton said:

Nope, Russia does not have the most time zones.

SWAG has failed me. Russia is a huge country so I thought it might be the winner. So it goes...

If Britain still ruled half the world I would have guess that. 

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

If you count territories "owned" by a country (is that really part of the country?) then France has a lot of little islands all over. One or two in the Caribbean and some in the South Pacific. But I consider it a trick question!

Operations Manager

Transamerica Audio Group

9 minutes ago, ToddP said:

If you count territories "owned" by a country (is that really part of the country?) then France has a lot of little islands all over. One or two in the Caribbean and some in the South Pacific. But I consider it a trick question!

And you are the winner of said trick question!

Your prize is...uh...well...hmmm...

On 3/25/2022 at 8:55 AM, Notes_Norton said:

I wrote to my rep, and his reply was that golf courses and other businesses are more profitable when the daylight hours are extended.

I guess he feels corporate profits are more important than the live of his constituents and their children. He will never get my vote in an election again, unless satan himself runs against him.

I ask all who want to keep standard time, please write to your representatives and the president too (who can veto the bill).

Notes ♫

At least he replied. I bet if you wrote to your local school board and asked them if they'd adjust their hours to make it safer for the kids if DST becomes permanent you wouldn't even get a reply.

On 3/30/2022 at 8:25 AM, PrairieGuy said:

At least he replied. I bet if you wrote to your local school board and asked them if they'd adjust their hours to make it safer for the kids if DST becomes permanent you wouldn't even get a reply.

It's unfortunate if you're right about that...and I think you probably are. I get the impression from this thread that convincing a school board to move on something is more difficult that loading a 15 GB sample library into a Mac Plus.

Riff away! I got what you were saying. I think reminding people of the days when you had to do 40 floppy disk swaps to edit a piece of text induces temporary insanity...just like doing 40 floppy disk swaps. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 11:12 PM, KuruPrionz said:

If you shorten the months, you'll take people's birthdays away from them. 

This will lead to Insurrection and Defiance. 

Okay, I've been thinking about this. The solution is actually pretty simple. Keep the same names of the months, and call the 13th month something like Kuruember. Everybody keeps their same birthday - if their birthday with a 12-month calendar is May 7, then it's May 7 with the 13th month calendar. Worst case is they were born on December 31, and they'll be 28 days off from the "the earth has gone around the sun this many times" date. But does that really matter?

Over time, kids will be born during Kuruember, and have birthdays during that month. So really, nothing changes, except that now people will also have birthdays during the 13th month.