Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great pieces of music to play on a keyboard?

Hey all, I've recently bought my digital piano, and wanted to hear some recommended really nice pieces of music to learn to play on it (I am intermediate level).

Maybe you could add to this thread putting a really nice piece of music you love playing on your keyboard, its difficulty (easy, medium or hard), and a link to the piece, preferably of it being played (youtube, or similar).  It could be anything, any genre... classical, pop, rock, jazz, movie theme, etc.   The only requirement is that you love playing it.

(If there is an existing thread for this, I apologise, and please can you point me to it?)

I'd love to hear your recommendations, thanks!

@JamPro... thanks, Love that Stevie Wonder song!

@ElmerJFudd ... I can read sheet music yes, but my sight reading could be better and I'm taking lessons.  I can usually work my way through a score and learn it so I can play it without the music.

When I was a teenager I learnt to play Shostakovich's Prelude no.15, op.34, as it was the theme tune to the Ever Decreasing Circles TV series which I used to watch with my family.  That's tough, but I remember it being a great fun one to play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txh_0qTVOx4  (not me playing btw)

Bring it on guys, what other songs/pieces to you love to play, or would like to learn to play?

Nice thread idea 😉 Hopefully, I can also pick up some new interesting tunes to learn for my own entertainment 🙂

Here are some tunes I like to play for myself:

Bill Withers - Just The Two Of Us

Pink Floyd - The Great Gig In The Sky

Herbie Hancock - Dolphin Dance

Duke Ellington - In A Sentimental Mood

Thelonius Monk - Ruby My Dear

Some other good Jazz standards: Black Orpheus, Summertime, Body And Soul, Stella By Starlight, The Shadow Of Your Smile, Here's That Rainy Day...

I'd like to learn some beautiful classical music not so difficult to play, when I'm kind of depressed and want to ease my pain with music lol.

People seemed to react positively whenever I pulled out Mancini's Theme to the Pink Panther. Are those opening 4 chords as famous as Beethoven's?

This piece is more accessible to newer keyboard students, and definitely challenges mastery of swing, grace notes, and attitude!

Louie Louie  by The Kingsmen  

96 Tears by Question Mark & The Mysterians

Pushin' Too Hard by The Seeds  you'll even get a short piano break

Really wow em with Bumble Boogie by Bee Bumble and the Stingers   Leon Russell used to go and do gigs as Bee Bumble even though he wasn't but a really cool piano tune. 

I've recently started playing with a jazz rehearsal group, reading from Real Book type lead sheets. Here are some of my favorites. I've also played most of these at previous jams without a lead sheet. Some have been done to death, but they're fun and most are easy to play.

Autumn Leaves

Besame Mucho

Black Orpheus

Canteloupe Island

Cold Duck Time

Comin' Home Baby

Georgia

Mercy Mercy Mercy

Song For My Father

Stolen Moments

Summertime

Sunny

Watermelon Man

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

Original Rags - Scott Joplin (medium-hard difficulty, you can find the score on IMSLP)

A left-field one - No Tears Left To Cry by Ariana Grande. Surprisingly fun to improvise around. Fairly easy IMO.

Likewise, Symphony by Clean Bandit. Same idea - nice solo piano tune, lots of room for improv.

Anything by Nightwish - a good challenging one is Ghost Love Score. Of course with those songs there’s not much in way of solo piano scores out there, so you would probably have to roll your own arrangement. Shoemaker is another one that translates well to piano IMO.

Also anything from Emily Bear’s 2020 single releases. Jazzy pop tunes.

Thy Will by Hillary Scott.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Ever Decreasing Circles …… by that comment I presume that you in the UK so how about some hits from there?

Walk in the Black Forest - Horst Jankowsky

Elergy - Jethro Tull

Imagine - John Lennon

Whiter Shade of Pale - Gary Brooker

Prelude to War - Jeff Wayne

plus

Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto in Bb minor

Col

On 3/18/2022 at 11:16 AM, jejefunkyman said:

I'd like to learn some beautiful classical music not so difficult to play, when I'm kind of depressed and want to ease my pain with music lol.

I recommend Clementi Op 35, numbers 1-6.  This is a collection of Sonatinas.  The first one is somewhat well-known, and fairly easy.  The entire collection in the beginner-intermediate range.  This is a nice introduction to the world of solo classical piano music.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JamPro said:

I recommend Clementi Op 35, numbers 1-6.  This is a collection of Sonatinas.  The first one is somewhat well-known, and fairly easy.  The entire collection in the beginner-intermediate range.  This is a nice introduction to the world of solo classical piano music.

Ok thanks for the hint 😁 I’ll give it a try when I’ll have some time. 

I was just thinking, I bet you would find this book of Ray Charles Piano transcriptions highly enjoyable and eye opening regarding his style. 

RAY CHARLES: THE PIANO TRANSCRIPTIONS PIANO, VOIX, GUITARE https://www.amazon.com/dp/0711941262/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_MSY6WXTAJBZEBDJJHEXS

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560