Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dayam....surgery for retinal detachment....

I had been seeing floaters and flashers and had already seen an eye doctor. However, it got worse.

Last week, after calling several times to get an appointment with my eye doctor, I got an appointment with another one. He quickly told me that I had retinal detachment. I then had surgery for retinal detachment shortly thereafter.

Today is the first day that I do not have to be face down. I had to stay face down 24/7 or eight days straight.

It’s great not to have to keep my face down. My face is very sore from eight days of that.

I walked this morning before the sun was bright. It went okay. I can see the bubble bouncing around in my eye, which is very strange looking. It also hurts a bit and creates a headache even with Tylenol, so I guess I won't be hiking or jogging any time soon.

I then got home and fell asleep on the couch for 45 minutes.

Still have a ways to go. Eye ache, super blurry vision, aversion to light, headaches, swelling, and whatever else. I still have to keep putting eyedrops in as well. 

I don't think I will be doing much driving or going out to do things for a while. Just resting and taking it easy. And speaking of that, I am going to give my eyes a rest.

Ironically, our latest Nightaxians video is about a jar of eyeballs. Life is weird.

Ken, I'm wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.

That's one I haven't dealt with. 

I was born nearsighted, with mild astigmatism and nystagmus, a condition that prevents both eyes from focusing correctly at the same distance on the same object. 

It causes your eyes (and sometimes your head), to move slightly side to side in an attempt to track things. Thus, in elementary school I was "Wobble Head" and so was my older brother who is similarly afflicted. I wore thick glasses from 2nd grade until I was almost 66. One day I went to Costco for an eye exam and the optometrist noted that I had cataracts. She referred me to a place that specializes in Cataract surgery. Since I got Medicare at 65 and found out it was the only eye related condition that they paid for, AND that not getting cataract surgery eventually results in blindness every time, I was all in. 

As terrifying as it sounded, the surgeries were not much to fear. I've lost amazing sharp close up vision but I can see 20/30 in both eyes and drive at night safely without glasses. I need readers to see up close, I had to wear glasses before so now I just have to wear them less often. 

Separated retina is a different affliction but surgery in that field of endeavor has truly become amazing. I think you'll be fine once you've fully healed. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Thanks. I slept well my first night of not having to remain face down for the entire time. Eye is still very very blurry and still hurts, but I knew this would take a while.

I didn't have enough time to fear the surgery. Everything happened so quickly, it was all quite a surprise. I didn't have time to get worked up about anything. I just had to suck it up, go there, then recover. Not very fun, but better than the other choices. :D 

1 hour ago, KenElevenShadows said:

I'm not sure what the violin playing means exactly.

not directed at you, Ken. Had to remove a previous signature because one of our forum members took offence to it. The violin player is my replacement sig. In UBB code, it's "no pity". Don't pay any attention to the post above mine.

Michael, you know what they say about assumptions. :poke:

:nopity:

34 minutes ago, Doerfler said:

not directed at you, Ken. Had to remove a previous signature because one of our forum members took offence to it. The violin player is my replacement sig. In UBB code, it's "no pity". Don't pay any attention to the post above mine.

Just messing' about Dave, you know better than to take me seriously, I hope!!! University Of North Carolina GIF by UNC Tar Heels

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

6 hours ago, Doerfler said:

Oh, I see! I couldn't tell that this was the signature! I was thinking, "What does that mean???"

A few days ago, the bubble dissipated, so that's good news. It is still absurdly blurry, and I still have some dull pain and headaches, but it's going in the right direction, right on track.

• Like 2