Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantom 08 vs RD-88?

Motif88

Looking for a comparison of the RD-88 vs the Fantom 08. Same keyboard action, different functions.

I have an RD-2000 with the PHA-50 action that is on the Fantom 8. I was close to pulling the trigger in the RD-88 for my son last year. Now that the RD-88 is retailing for $1499 and the Fantom 08 is $1999, the $500 variance isn’t as significant as it was when the RD-88 was $1200. Yes. I know, the RD is Roland Cloud Zen Core based with built in speakers where the Fantom 08 does not have built in speakers but has incredible workstation and DAW integration.

I know it comes down to individual choices and what you’re trying to achieve, just looking for a side by side comparison to make that decision as physical interaction with these instruments is damn near impossible.

As always…thank you!

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

24 minutes ago, Motif88 said:

Looking for a comparison of the RD-88 vs the Fantom 08. Same keyboard action, different functions.

I have an RD-2000 with the PHA-50 action that is on the Fantom 8. I was close to pulling the trigger in the RD-88 for my son last year. Now that the RD-88 is retailing for $1499 and the Fantom 08 is $1999, the $500 variance isn’t as significant as it was when the RD-88 was $1200. Yes. I know, the RD is Roland Cloud Zen Core based with built in speakers where the Fantom 08 does not have built in speakers but has incredible workstation and DAW integration.

I know it comes down to individual choices and what you’re trying to achieve, just looking for a side by side comparison to make that decision as physical interaction with these instruments is damn near impossible.

As always…thank you!

Kurzweil does this to make it a little easier....

https://kurzweil.com/2021/09/02/comparison-chart-workstations/

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

The RD88 is a great board.  
yes, you can add sounds to it just as with the Fantom 08

The Fantoms are also great boards 

Does your son need full workstation capability?  

The Fantom’s tones will be much more editable and and easier to edit than on the RD88 which takes very deep, often unintuitive menu diving, until you get used  to it.  

Both would sound great. 

I pre ordered the 08, which will replace my RD88 in my main gig rig, and the RD will be used for one keyboard gigs 

• Like 1

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

I'm no expert on either of these boards, but RD88 advantages seem to be: a few pounds lighter; less depth so you can keep a second board above closer; speakers; cheaper. Everything else seems to favor the Fantom-08. 16-zone vs 3-zone. On-board editing. Bigger and more expandable sound set (including tonewheel organ and optional VA emulations of Jupiter 8, etc.). Much more in the way of hands-on controls. Better connectivity (MIDI In, assignable outs). Sequencer. Touchscreen patch selection (but also hard buttons). User sample memory.

• Like 1

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)